Questions Re: the History of CD Packaging

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 7MusicFan6, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Sorry I do not understand what you mean - digipaks use up more space than standard jewelcases ? Or did you put the cds in jewelsleeves to save space , if so, what are jewelsleeves?

2. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Interesting. The first Ryko titles I purchased were the David Bowie reissues, and the first few I bought when they began had the clear non tinted jewel cases and black disc trays with no art underneath. I think by 92 they were using them for everything (when my copy of Scary Monsters dates from, along with Sugar's Copper Blue album). However my copy of Lodger was from 1991, and it does not have the tinted green case or tray.

c-eling likes this.
  3. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

A few different types:

JDistheone likes this.
  4. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

They were an effective theft deterrent at a time when CDs were usually $15.99 and in high demand. But it didn't take long for shoplifters to get around this with box cutters. At the store I worked, we would routinely find empty blister packs in more secluded bins. Loss prevention dweebs always told us the best method to stop shoplifting was good customer service.

ARK likes this.
  5. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The earliest Bowie Rykodiscs (1990, 1991) did not have the translucent green trays. Well, at least mine don't, and I got them as they were being released. I have a bunch of them and the trays are black. The jewel case itself, though, did have the trademarked green tint. And when Ryko started releasing the Elvis Costello catalog in 1993, I believe all titles were done with the translucent trays. At least, mine are.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

https://jewelsleeve.com

or these

Space Saving Sleeves

7. doppelganger

doppelganger Forum Resident

Yes, digisleeves I think they are called. The only attractive kind of CD packaging imo. Digipaks are alright, too, although I can do without the plastic tray. A lot of Jazz and Alternative CDs seem to come in either one of them these days. Unfortunately they don't seem to be used very much, if at all, for Classical albums. I don't worry too much about scratches. The discs never get played anyway. I usually take them out of the sleeve exactly once.

8. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

The best and super beautyful
    CD Packaging are the Japan mini lp cds

9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

On my VHS video it said 'smell the back' to smell what the glove smelt like or something like that, you have to laugh because I fell for it before buying standing in the shop trying to smell it :laugh::laughup:

ARK, jeffd7030 and impalaboy like this.
  10. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

That would be a later pressing. It is my understanding that the first title Ryko released with the green tinted translucent tray/case was DEVO Live: The Mongoloid Years in 1992. I posted elsewhere a while back that I purchased all of the Ryko Bowie titles as they were being released and the first ones to have the green tinted case were Scary Monsters and Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture, also released in 1992.

The previous year, Ryko's release of Hardcore Devo Vol. 2 1974-1977, was released with a transluscent "clear" tray insert.

c-eling and Duke Fame like this.
  11. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Interesting. Discogs only has it for 1987. I'll take a look later and see if I can find anything on my copy that dates it better. It would make more sense to be a latter pressing as my other thought was that the case wasn't original, but it would be odd that the replacement was also a green translucent.

12. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

Great topic, I must say!

I'm not against all those changes, as cardboard sleeves or digipacks often feel more natural, resembling the old LP cover feel at least to some extent.

What really bothers me is what happened to replacement CD-cases, which became thinner and thinner, presumably because of rising oil prices or (as some suppliers might suggest) due to environment matters. But, I guess mostly it's been done to raise profit, as even these thin-gauge cases are quite expensive - especially the fat boxes, which are going for around 3-4 € apiece here in Germany. Those ultra-fragile standard CD cases, breaking the first time, you try to remove the tray to put in a back cover or even carry rifts the first time you open the wrapper... hate it!

ispace and c-eling like this.
  13. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Just a later pressing/release of the same disc. Not a reissue. Once Ryko started using the green translucent cases they progressively began using them on all of their titles as inventory was replaced. Hence, those buying Ryko titles as they were released pretty much up to 1992 would have clear cases with black insert trays while inventory produced after that would see the earlier released titles starting to have the green cases.

Duke Fame likes this.
  14. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

This is how I open any new discs that have this sticker. It's the only way to get the sticker off completely, without leaving some behind. Even then, it's tough. I learned this trick from a friend who worked in a record store. They were able to play discs in the store, then put them back out in the rack with no one the wiser.

Mal likes this.
  15. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Back in the day I hated those green-tinted CD cases that Ryko used. I didn't care for how they looked on my shelf and I eventually changed most of mine out for clear jewel cases. Mind you, this was when I was young and had the time to worry over things like that. Now I couldn't care less.

Duke Fame and vince like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.