Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Quibi blows 2 Billion...finally shutting down

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PhilBorder, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

:shh::laugh:

2. pdenny

pdenny 18-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Devon Banks was there first.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG PROG Nation!

I was thinking of trying Quibi but then found out it does not stream to a tv so essentially useless for me. I guess for everyone else too.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

Interesting. It's not intended, but you can rip a YouTube video, either as an mp3 or mp4 video. Could it be, all they wanted was a format you couldn't do anything with, just use it with your most ubiquitous personal item, your phone...and then, once it got to critical mass, you realized it was too late to find out, you couldn't keep the programming?

(Like Sony was all hyped-up on SACD, only because they thought it couldn't be ripped...then, once they realized they gave customers the ability to figure it out on their own, with their own gaming system...they dropped interest in it)

Just pointing out the coincidence here.

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
  5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Distracted driving averted! Lives saved! Life in balance.

Guess shelter in place doesn't equate to a captive audience hungry for entertainment on their cellphones, either. The excuses for failure are as bone headed as the business model.
    Too bad it took nearly a billion dollars to learn that the hard way.

I could never understand why anyone would pay to watch a movie or other content on a small screen whether vertical or horizontal. I still can't type with my thumbs and I refuse to learn.

My cellphone sits under a pile of junk mail where it belongs.

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I worked for a Wall Street firm that hired a CEO that was canned from a major global bank after getting them kicked out of Japan for regulatory violations. He got a multi million dollar payout to leave. He then proceeded to get fired from my company with yet another multi million dollar payout. It's shocking the number of corporate leaders that got rich from failing.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

As well as the idiots in charge that keep hiring them!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Tim Lookingbill

Too bad there isn't a rigorous prenup for corporate A-holes who are paid to fail. Kinda' hard to see the difference between what they get away with as some kind of cult of the like minded verses a street gang or drug cartel. Only in those social circles one can lose their life for failing. Wonder what the incentives are for assured success on Wall Street if they're willing to lose that much money to get rid of a bad employee.

I mean with that amount of loss I can't see how they stay afloat. It's almost unnatural, even criminal.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. This might be the best combination of "absolutely 100% agreed" and "dang this geezer is old" I've ever read.

10. Tim Lookingbill

With age comes wisdom and better whine.

And I didn't misspell wine.

BeatleJWOL likes this.