Quick question about my current set up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by psychobear85, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychobear85

psychobear85 Active Member Thread Starter

So recently I purchased a Cambridge Audio 651P phone pre amp since the one I had before was a cheaper one and was creating a buzzing sound.

Well when I got it my receiver took a dump a few days later.

This receiver didn’t have a dedicated input for my turntable.

I decided to buy a new one so I went with the Cambridge Audio SR10, now this receiver has a dedicated input for a turntable.

Question is should I return the preamp since I still have 15 days to do so or should I keep it.

What are the advantages of having a separate pre amp then using the built in

My current set up
    Technics SL 1200 MK5
    Nagaoka Mp-110

Thanks I’m advance

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Dedicated external phono preamps can very easily better whatever came with an integrated amplifier. Some will come with passable ones while others will come bundled with a good one.

However, before making any decisions, why not try both and see which one you prefer? Is there a sound difference in your system that you can detect? Lots of factors come into play, in situations like these.

If you don't hear a difference or a really minor one, return it and use the money to buy more records! If you do hear a big enough difference to justify the price, keep it.

It's really that simple. :)

3. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Just make sure you don't get confused and plug the external phono pre into the phono input on your new receiver....

4. psychobear85

Thank you for your input, I will be doing this tonight and see if there’s a different if it’s not much I will be returning it, maybe get some decent speakers and retire my old ones

Leonthepro likes this.
  5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

This.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I agree with the first response to your query. Does the dedicated preamp have a MC input ? If so, it may be worth retaining it should you ever want to try MC cartridges. My NAD C162 preamp is the first anything that I had/have with a MC input and I bought an Ortofon Quintet Blue to try it out. I am glad that I did. No problems with hum, hiss or any other noise. And the Ortofon MC sounds better than any other cartridge that I have heard except for my pesky GE VR 1000's. Again, I have NOT heard every cartridge in the world. Who has ?

7. psychobear85

No MC input but and this is one of the reasons I’m considering keeping the phono pre amp

8. psychobear85

No MC input but this is the reason I’m considering keeping the phono pre amp for the MC option

PhxJohn likes this.
  9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Are you going to get an MC cart soon or ever? If you bought both Cambridges from the same dealer, return the preamp. If/when you get an MC you can get a preamp then.
    There will always be MC preamps and you can buy one if/when you need it. You might even find a used 651P at that time - or then they'll be up to a 652P or 653P at the same price but better.

10. psychobear85

The phono pre amp does make a difference vs using the one on the receiver, sound more crisp, even the Wife who is not into my hobby heard the difference, decided to keep it.

Thanks for the input

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's how the upgrade bug starts. LOL!

Glad you're satisfied with it. Enjoy! :)

psychobear85 and Leonthepro like this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

There you go, have fun.

psychobear85 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.