Quick question/tech support regarding cartridge and weird cantilever issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by recstar24, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi!

So I have an audio technics Vm740ml. Today, I went to spin a record, and when I dropped the cue lever and stylus onto the record, I noticed that the cart ran very low, almost to the point of the body hitting the vinyl. Nothing else was different, VTA, vtf, alignment, etc. I visually looked at the cart and visually it appears somehow the cantilever “moved” up and appears not to be at the same angle as I remember it, running closer to the cart body then I remember. Lastly, the sound did exhibit some noticeable distortion in the right channel.

I still have my ortofon KAB concorde with om40 stylus, and subbed it in, and yup the distortion went away and the angle of the stylus to record looks much healthier than with the at vm740ml.

My question is, is it plausible that somehow someway the cantilever suspension loosened up enough or broke to the point where it completely changed angle with the cart now riding dangerously low when riding a record? For now, I’m going to just keep the ortofon hooked up and will leave the AT Vm740ml alone until I can get someone more knowledgeable to check it out.

2. recstar24

Anyone? Would love any feedback from any users that have noticed cantilever issues.

rbmitch2 likes this.
  3. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Did you double check the tracking force with a digital scale? How many hours on this stylus? Maybe you should call AT in Stow, Ohio if they are still there.

4. recstar24

Was pretty sure VTF was ok but will obviously double check. I don’t think I’ve even cracked 100 hours.

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I've never encountered anything like this myself. The OP could be right. IDK.

6. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

An old stylus assembly can develop fatigue, and the cartridge body can sit low on the record. In this instance, I believe something happened to the suspension, could be a defect or damage. The problem could be excess VTF, so check that before replacing the stylus.

7. missan

missan Forum Resident

What can happen is that the tension wire has been gliding, it somestimes does. It´s fasted with a screw covered with some sort of glue. It´s not terribly difficult to fix, one has to loosen the screw and press the suspension inward, and then tighten the screw. If You´re not familiar with this fine mechanical work, I would not recommend trying.

8. recstar24

This may be it! I will definitely check VTF this weekend again, thank you!

9. recstar24

After checking VTF, I think you are correct, and believe this is most likely the issue. I checked AT’s warranty policy and it’s actually pretty good, so I’m just going to send it in.

10. recstar24

Sent my cart in, landed at AT US Monday, got back reply today. Bent cantilever, not under warranty :( however they offered me a replacement stylus at 50% of retail cost, so I’m ok.

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.