Quite possibly, the funniest Star Wars videogame ever: Rogue Leader III!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fjhuerta, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Just watch the intro... I really laughed out loud!

The LucasFilm logo appears. Then, Meco Monardo's "Star Wars" theme starts on the background. The leg of the LucasFilm logo starts moving, as if dancing... the camera pulls away, and we see the logo is really Darth Vader's chest.. and he's dancing to Meco's theme!

Then, the camera pulls farther away, and Leia, Luke, Han Solo, C3-PO and R2-D2 are dancing to the 70's beat... complete with mirror ball and color lights...!

Funniest. Videogame. Ever. :edthumbs:

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

What platform? I know I just read some year-end awards and this game was rated #3 (I think) in its category.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Javier,
    Are you talking about "Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike". I think this is a Gamecube-only title. The titles get confusing because "Rogue Squadron II" was sub-titled "Rogue Leader". I haven't seen it. I received my first game console since my Atari 2600 this past Christmas, and it was a Playstation 2. Of course, the good side of this is that there are a whole bunch of good PS1 and PS2 games that are old-hat to most that are new to me. :)

Regards,

4. fjhuerta

Oh, sorry about the confusion! It's indeed "Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike", which would make it "Rogue Leader II", since "Rogue Squadron II" was called "Rogue Leader" (yeah, i'm confused too :) ). Rogue Squadron I was available on PC and Nintendo 64; Rogue Squadron II & III are only available on GameCube.

I own the three titles (on PC and GC). They are very similar to one another. The first one has an intro screen with an X-Wing and a TIE Fighter destroying the Factor5 logo. The second one is funny - it has lots of Stormtroopers doing dancing routines on top of the Lucasfilm logo. But the third one... Meco Monardo and all Star Wars characters... is absolutely over the top :)

5. -=Rudy=-

I need some games for my GameCube. Haven't bought Zelda Wind Waker yet, since I'm waiting for used copies to show up cheaper. Still need to get through Super Mario Sunshine (my kids kept erasing my progress until I finally bought my own memory card :laugh: ), and got five minutes into Star Fox Adventures and got lost. :sigh: I might check out one of these Star Wars titles if I can pick 'em up cheap enough.

6. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

The Wind Waker is a fantastic game, it's right up there with "Ocarina Of Time". I beat it a couple months ago and I'll probably start it up again soon.

Also reccomended for the gamecube:

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Viewtiful Joe
    Metroid Prime
    The Promotional gamecube disc with 4 classic NES and N64 Zelda games

7. Ken_McAlinden

If you or your kids dig Kart racing games (my seven year old is currently obsessed with "Crash Team Racing", the PS1 game), I hear that "Mario Kart: Double Dash" is pretty much as good as they get. It will probably be several months before the price drops on it, though. I think they are in the process of lowering the price on "Beyond Good and Evil", which is a pretty cool game available on multiple platforms that I am just getting into on the Playstation.

Regards,

8. -=Rudy=-

Ken: happy new year! :) We had Mario Kart for N64 and had a blast with it. I got the girls the Super Smash Bros. Melee for Xmas, and Luigi's Mansion. They haven't quite figured them out yet though, so I think it'll take some "daddy time".

Tyler: I saw a promo game out there that turned out to be just trial versions of NES games. Does the one you mentioned have the full versions? I can probably find that on Ebay. When they were taking reservations for Wind Waker, I missed the mad rush at the stores to preorder to get the bonus disc, which was Ocarina of Time in two different editions. Grabbed one on Ebay for not much pocket change. :thumbsup:

For some reason, I've always liked that F-Zero racing game. I have it for SNES and N64 already. I've tried others but they never grew on me. Not big on sports games, or a lot of shoot-em-ups. I always find I play the Mario "World" and Zelda games more than any other. The kids are OK with the running/jumping games, but I get bored after awhile.

9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

The Zelda Collector's Edition disc has the full length games. I've already made my way through the original "Legend Of Zelda" and I'm just about done with "The Adventure of Link". It also contains the full length "Ocarina of Time" & "Majora's Mask".

The disc does not have the classic SNES "A Link to the past" or the master quest version of "Ocarina" that was on the Wind Waker pre-order bonus disc. It's esentially the same game as the original, but all the dungeon puzzles are completely reset.

You can get the 4 game Zelda disc for free from Nintendo. You have to register your gamecube, and two games. There is a list of games you have to choose from, I don't remember them all but "Mario Kart Double Dash!!" is one of them.

10. -=Rudy=-

I think registration is out--I got both of the GameCubes, and all the games, used. ;)

I picked up the Rogue Squadron II tonight (cheap), along with a "classic" game cart for the Game Boy Advance (has Pac Man, Galaga, Dig Dug and one other oldie...the kids will like it, and it was under $10 :thumbsup: ).

11. fjhuerta

Rogue Squadron II, as a game, is better than III (III has this horrid "on foot") missions.

BUT... Rogue Squadron III includes the complete II game... as a multiplayer option! So you can play with a friend of yours as a wingman / gunner. Fun! It also has the arcade game from 1982 built in... bliss :D

12. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I love my Gamecube. However, in the last year, I have really developed motion sickness - I can no longer play any of the first person angle type games or anything with a vivid/moving environment. (The main game in Super Monkey Ball will send me to the porcelain throne in no more than two minutes. Rogue Leader is now totally impossible for me.)

I love Tiger Woods 2004. I used to play Animal Crossing a lot and now my kids play it NON-STOP. Quite the deep game, that is for sure. I still can enjoy most of the sports stuff, like Soccer Slam and Beach Spikers Volleyball, or Super Smash Brothers Melee (in smaller doses).

13. -=Rudy=-

Motion sickness can be partially avoided on a smaller screen. I've played a lot of these games and they never bother me. But, the only game that ever made me sick to my stomach was the original computer version of Doom. Got into a streak where I was playing it online with another coworker at the office. Being in such close proximity to the monitor at my desk, I was quite engrossed in it, and all that movement all of a sudden made me feel VERY queasy. Ugh.

One of my Super NES favorites was the original Sim City. Used to play it for days on end--would come home from work during lunch, change a few things, tear down and build some new spots, then leave it until I got home for dinner. I wish they could port some of the PC games like Roller Coaster Tycoon to the GameCube. But at the resolution of a TV screen, the layout would be too crowded. Sometimes I'd like to play these games, but want to get away from the computer.

14. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I used to play Sim City and The Sims (including all the expansion packs, etc.) on the PC and only fell away when my rig couldn't keep up with the the ever demanding computing power necessary to play. Nowadays, I am solely a Gamecube man, and although I own The Sims for the Cube, I never really got back into it. I think my desire to play God and create people is now satisfied by the create-a-player feature in Tiger Woods 2004....give a guy like me sliders with 100 settings each for breast and butt size, like TW 2004 has, and life is good. My current female golfer is HOT. :)

15. Ken_McAlinden

Or by moving away from a large one. Thank goodness for controller extension cords! :)

The first 3D shooter game I played was Wolfenstein on a PC about 11 years ago, and I became very nauseous as I kept leaning closer into the screen. :)

Regards,

16. -=Rudy=-

Wow...I'm not big on video golf, but THAT is amazing! :D

Nowadays I have the computing power but no time to play lengthy games! But I can get so engrossed in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 that I can blow an entire day. I started it one day at 1:30PM and, except for a half hour break for dinner, and putting the kids to bed, stayed up until 2:00AM. Other than that, I really haven't had time to spend hours on a game. I'd rather do something I can play in smaller bites on the GameCube.

17. -=Rudy=-

For some games, I got the cordless. :) No rumble though, so if I'm playing something that requires it, I have to go back to the cords. I need to find a better extension--got one of those "Mad Katz" or whatever it's called and it's all frayed after a few months of being twisted. Cheap!

18. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

My days of video gaming marathons are over, unfortunately...having kids effectively changed that (as well as a lot of other things in life, that is for sure.) I am the same as you now that I like to play in smaller stretches. Also, there are two trends in videogaming that I find I no longer have a taste for: (1) the prevelence of "puzzles" and (2) the sheer difficulty now built in by designers to make games "last". I am just really turned off by all the puzzles/jumping/unlocking, etc. that games like Mario Sunshine and Phantom Menance are built on. Maybe I just don't have the ingenuity or patience anymore to find them enjoyable. And maybe I am just a videogaming wimp, but I get put off by the sheer magnitude of the effort it takes to progress in games like Rogue Leader. Flying a mission thirty times to figure out all the paths, idiosyncracies, and happenings and coming up with a strategy to beat it/meet the mission goal is just off-putting. Hence my attraction to sports games. I don't mind "deep" games, I just don't like feeling like I am a hamster making my way through an endless maze, one built to stop some thirteen year-old gaming wizard from crying foul because he beat the game too fast.

19. -=Rudy=-

I've had a lot of changes in the past year, so now I actually do have more time for gaming. But usually I play it to unwind at the end of the day, and I'll wake up two hours later with a dead (or sleeping) Mario on the screen, wondering why the guy with the controller abandoned him on Isle Delfino. :laugh:

I've always liked puzzle games though--very much a Mario/Zelda fan because of that, and have been playing those since the original NES console was available. Life just gets too busy to spend hours on them anymore though. I like only a few racing type games, don't care for shoot-'em-ups that much, don't go much for sports (except for golf) and never liked any of those sci-fi-ish shooting games. That's partly why other game systems never interested me--the games out there were nowhere near what my interests are. Sonic the Hedgehog was a Sega Genesis favorite, but now I have all the old Sonic games on one GameCube disc. :thumbsup:

20. fjhuerta

Wolff - I can't remember any games I have been able to finish recently (heck, I have only got to level 2 or 3 on many games). Rogue Leader is certainly a tough game.

The only game I remember finishing lately is WarioWare (best game of the last 10 years, IMHO!).

21. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

These super-deep and challenging games like Rogue Leader are definitely a mixed blessing - they offer so much for the truly dedicated gamer. On the other hand, it frustrates and disappoints me that I cannot enjoy all the cool levels and missions that seem so neat looking on the box and in screenshots, just because I can't get past some forcefield on Level Two. I guess that is what cheat codes are for. And to some of the die-hard gamers, I know I am coming off as a total wimp in my rants here. But the fact is, when I do use cheats or books, I realize that I do not have the necessary skills/ingenuity to make progress in some of these games (e.g. when I find out what I really needed to do to get an elusive Shine Star in Mario Sunshine, I just throw up my arms in surrender, and that is already after throwing up the content of my stomach due to the motion sickness I get from that game...) :)

I will have to take a look at WarioWare, I think that is one my son has been pining for...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.