R.E.M. "Chronic Town" 40th Anniversary Speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Smash, May 31, 2022.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Adding stuff wouldn't screw with the original 5 songs at all. I'd love to hear anything from the pre-Murmur era.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It wasn’t Stipe who vetoed this set.

3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Pageant 25 featured more demos as the bonus material. There’s never been an officially released 1986 concert.

J_D__ and dee like this.
  4. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Don't be coy then, who was it? I value your knowledge on this band...

The_Guy_.2.0 likes this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

Okay, thanks. Am going to revisit that one. I liked what Gehman did with the sound of the band on the record in studio - I liked the Mellencamp stuff, so. Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

I kinda got lost with some of the REM bonus content releases as even the dualdisc 5.1 releases took up my brainspace let alone more bonus content releases.

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwiw I respect the fact that he's not telling but also was able to divulge a lot of pertinent info for fans of the band per this release. I don't care who nixed it, but for some reason, I think the de facto assumption is 'it must be Stipe' so its kinda cool, to me, it wasn't.

The_Guy_.2.0, Alan57, Smash and 2 others like this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Aside from the 1980 Bombay Studio session, which was not mined for Dead Letter Office and has never been bootlegged, and the 1982 RCA demos, which have been bootlegged, albeit in wretched sound quality, the band have Pat Biddle’s reel to reel soundboard masters of several 1981 Tyrone’s shows in their vault. That live material, among the best-recorded, most interesting, and historically important live recordings of R.E.M. that exist, was vetoed from this set. It’s out there for those who know where to look, and you don’t have to look too hard, but it would be interesting to hear in the best possible sound quality.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

A complete 1986 concert is my #1 R.E.M. hopeful release.

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

You’ve got three guesses to choose from. But it wasn’t Stipe.

theholygoof and moj like this.
  10. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

For sure, I appreciate his insight and info. But aren't all the complaints in this thread about withholding?

I guess this info will "stay in the vault."

The_Guy_.2.0 likes this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Will likely never happen, or at least not happen for quite some time, as the only surviving soundboards and audience recordings of the 1986 tour are on cassette. Unlike the 1984 tour, for which they brought in the Reflection Studios mobile truck to record shows in Durham and Charlotte for an official I.R.S. live album that almost, but never quite happened, or the 1988 tour, at the end of which Scott Litt professionally recorded several shows for what later became Live in Greensboro, there are no reel-to-reel soundboards of Pageantry. Nor is there a surviving FM radio broadcast tape like they have used for the 1983, 1984, and 1987 live shows they have featured as bonus material on the deluxe editions of Murmur, Reckoning, and Pageant. People in their camp who make these decisions don’t value the I.R.S. era live material and don’t think the fans want to hear shows sourced from cassette, although the Bingo Hand Job Record Store Day release was ironically enough in cassette sound quality. But there’s no rhyme or reason to how the bonus material for new anniversary editions gets selected, no one archivist fully authorized with the power to make decisions regarding these releases, and, as has been well established, at the drop of a hat, any one band member can always use his veto power to blow up anything, which is why first New Adventures 25 and now Chronic Town 40 have turned out the way they have.

12. dee

dee Senior Member

I didn't mean to in any way single you or your post out in that way. Sorry if that's what it seemed like.

Ha, clever line about the vault :)

13. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

Dreadful. Completely destroys all mystique, like you said. And that mystique was something that was so key to early R.E.M. Felt lost on Warners post-Out Of Time, but this is revisionist history and not in a good way. I have absolutely no problem with not getting left over tracks though. Some things stay in the vault for a reason.

Twinge Crispy and Joseph.McClure like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Again, whatever one’s opinion of studio outtakes, there is professionally recorded live material of the highest quality from this era in the band’s vault, and they have already officially released live shows from 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1995, 2005, and 2008.

15. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

It was demos. I wished it was a Pageantry show.

errant_knight, dee and JuanTCB like this.
  16. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

There was lots of speculation a year ago about early material getting official release, so this as an excuse to talk (whine) about the strange unwillingness to officially document the early live "Michael Stipe rockabilly voice" era even though the shows are great and have been unofficially available for decades.

17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The Who released what was essentially a cassette live recording from 1969 Ottawa show on the Super Tommy deluxe and it sounds really good. We can always hope:)

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

All things considered, the Pageantry tour was their best tour, in my opinion, and I’d love to see a Pageantry show officially released from a cassette/audience recording source. There are some out there that are more than listenable. The band never played better live than they did in 1986, they were at the perfect balance between their youthful naïveté and their mature professionalism. However, for the reasons I outlined above, I wouldn’t get my hopes up for an official release of a Pageantry show any time soon. The idea of a “bootleg series” of I.R.S. era live shows has been raised and shot down. Perhaps that will change in the future, but it’s not likely to change right away.

19. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Think that I will get chronic vinyl. But £29!! Wowzer

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Mike Mills’s ability to follow the Georgia Bulldogs football team around the country for many seasons yet to come is in your hands, Felix.

Marinus, bloodisthin and It's Felix like this.
  21. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

A bit off topic but I'm wondering if anyone else here has the 2 digital download only "rarities" sets.....I purchased both and I enjoy the I.R.S Set quite abit......wish both were issued in physical c.d. form.

22. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

I got the Warner one from iTunes. The I.R.S. one was not interesting for me, because I basically already have all the tracks scattered across various reissue albums and best ofs.

23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I downloaded both back when they were released. They never did correct the issues with the WB rarities set, did they?

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I wouldn't mind a release of the 1985 show I saw them do at Radio City.
    1. Feeling Gravitys Pull
    2. Harborcoat
    3. Green Grow the Rushes
    4. Skip a Rope
      (Henson Cargill cover)
    5. Hyena
    6. Maps and Legends
    7. Fall on Me
    8. Driver 8
    9. So. Central Rain
    10. Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
      (Creedence Clearwater Revival cover)
    11. Pills
      (Bo Diddley cover)
    12. Can't Get There From Here
    13. 7 Chinese Bros.
    14. Auctioneer (Another Engine)
    15. Old Man Kensey
    16. Little America
    17. The Star-Spangled Banner
      (John Stafford Smith & Francis Scott Key cover)
    18. Home on the Range
      (Daniel Kelley cover)
    19. Pretty Persuasion
    20. Life and How to Live It
    21. Encore:
    22. Second Guessing
    23. (Don't Go Back to) Rockville
    24. Behind Closed Doors
      (Charlie Rich cover)
    25. See No Evil
      (Television cover)
    26. Encore 2:
    27. Singing Cage
    28. Theme From Two Steps Onward
    29. Sitting Still
    30. Time After Time (AnnElise)
    31. Carnival of Sorts (Boxcars)
    32. Moon River
      (Henry Mancini cover)
    33. Hey Diddle Diddle
      (James Elliot cover)
    34. Frogmore
      (James Elliot cover)
    35. Windout

25. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

It's a shame that there's no bonus live material from this time period. The Toronto show on the Murmur deluxe is excellent.