R.E.M. - In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 Vinyl Reissue (March 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

could you tell me the asin number my friend? Cheers

2. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I think I'm gonna want this!

3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The credits on the inner sheet on my black vinyl UK\EU copy say it was mastered by “Masher” Marcussen.

4. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

From talking to someone at Barnes and Noble, the blue variant version had a delay in shipping to many of its stores. So I would advise checking on their website to see if its available near you or just order online through their site.

5. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I picked up my copy from B&N and I can confirm that it is a CB cut.

The blue is nice but I gotta wonder why they didn't try to get the blue to match the blue on the cover which would have been a really nice touch.

captainsolo and btltez like this.
  6. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Yeah the blue they showed on their website was sort of a light aqua...

7. porotikos

porotikos Porotikos

any reviews on the cb cut, vinylsound? Cheers

8. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Yet another vinyl release with no auto rip/download code...ugh!! Will not purchase for that reason

Doctorwu likes this.
  9. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I played side 1 and 2 of the black vinyl from Amazon, flat clean and Sounds good. Nice to have 90s REM on vinyl. Man on the Moon into Great Beyond is a great way to open an album. I always liked Bad Day because it sounds like it came from the mid eighties albums.

btltez likes this.
  10. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Funny how different we all are. I don't even use mine. They stack up in a drawer. I don't want crap MP3 files. I'll just stream it or go DL it some where in higher quality. Diff strokes...

Technocentral and Geee! like this.
  11. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

I hear ya'...but it's hard to play my LP's in the car, where I do most of my 'listening'.:shrug:

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

one of the most lacking and poorly sequenced best of's I've ever seen

13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s because it was written around the time of Pageant.

Ken.e. likes this.
  14. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Have to agree ...Obviously you can’t keep everyone happy , but to select only one song apiece from Out of Time and Monster was odd.
    Get rid of the unremarkable ‘Animal’ and ‘All the Right Friends’..Hardcore fans would have picked it up for ‘The Great Beyond ‘ and ‘Bad Day’ anyway.

With Animal & All the Right Fiends gone, there’s room for these two beauties..Strange Currencies & Near Wild Heaven.

Spencer R and TheMovieRad like this.
  15. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

That sounds like a more interesting song!
    :D

ARK likes this.
  16. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Ha ! The ‘death metal’ mix !

17. jo234

jo234 Forum Resident

Okay, since I read "CB" is in the dead wax, I also ordered the US version of this reissue. Received it today but, how am I supposed to put it... I really think, the EU version is better this time. Although I've got a perfect pressing of the US version, the EU version has both: more "kick" and more "air". Of course, I have to do a few more A/B comparisons but - so far - I think the EU version is the winner this time. Figure me surprised...

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’d use I Don’t Sleep, I Dream as the second representative front Monster. Their final greatest hits album, Part Lies Part Truth, etc. also features What’s The Frequency Kenneth as the lone song from Monster.

19. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Animal" and "Bad Day" were more or less the main reason to pick it up for long-time fans at the time though. It's the perils of adding unreleased, new tracks to a "Best of" set - at the time, it's there to get the true fans to buy it but 16 years later, when the tracks are no longer new, they are still there among the true hits.

20. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I can’t even imagine this comp without Animal. I like that one way better than Bad Day. It’s probably in my top 10, maybe even top 5, post-Berry REM songs.

21. jo234

jo234 Forum Resident

Also, "Up" and "Reveal" only have one title each on the compilation. Besides, I also think that "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" is underrepresented on here.

I'm with you here. Although I like the "Single Version" even a tad better...

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  22. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

The second disc of the ‘Part Lies’ comp is a disaster...it’s hard to know where to begin.
    1 song only from Monster, Up & Reveal
    3 songs from Collapse into Now ??
    3 ‘new’ songs that have no business in such esteemed company

No sign of Daysleeper, Bang and Blame ,Strange Currencies, E-bow the letter,All the Way to Reno.

Again, I appreciate you can’t keep everyone happy, but this was poorly curated.

captainsolo, NunoBento and twicks like this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Around The Sun sorely could have used a burst of energy from Animal, and the unreleased Weatherman.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Part of the story that Part Lies tries to tell is that R.E.M. ended on their own terms on a high note, hence the multiple songs from Collapse Into Now. I actually agree with that: Oh My Heart and Überlin (and We All Go Back To Where We Belong) are as good as anything they ever did. Bang and Blame is the last song I’d feature on a Best Of album: Strange Currencies, I Don’t Sleep, I Dream, or even Tongue would be better choices to highlight the strengths of Monster.

drivingfrog likes this.
  25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I know the song is stupid as hell, but I love that they included “A Month of Saturdays” on Part Lies. The full REM story isn’t complete without the goofy detours they’d sometimes take, and it’s good to know they kept that up til the very end.

JuanTCB, ARK and Spencer R like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.