R.E.M. - Monster 25th Anniversary (2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Nov 17, 2018.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Couldn't disagree more. They had already perfected many other styles and we often complain artists retread too much. I love they did a reverb laden glam grunge album. No, it's not my favorite of theirs but why the hell not try something different? Hindsight is 20/20, they couldn't have known it'd be such a critical flop. And for that matter, it gets way too much criticism. For what it is I think it's a damn fun and dare I say sexy album. I know many other fans agree. So go ahead and keep ignoring it, but some of us enjoy it.

2. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Well said. It's a fabulous album. Tough, muscular.

3. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

"Side project and forgot to change the group's name" is the best description of the album I've heard, and it fits like a glove. In that regard it's kinda like U2 were with Zooropa.

There's examples of them rocking-out before Monster (especially on Document & Green), but they really go for it on Monster, which makes it pretty darn unique. I enjoy it a lot.. but then again I tend to enjoy albums where artists change it up & go in a totally different direction.

marc with a c likes this.
  4. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I really like this album and feel that it's much maligned.

However here in the UK, this is something that you will find in virtual every used CD bin you'll come across, often multiple copies.

If anyone hasn't heard the album, I'd really suggest buying a used copy for pennies - I'm not fond of 'anniversary' releases, I find them very cynical.

As I've said a few times here now, anniversary releases are for the benefit of the record label to try to sell the same thing again..and again..and again..and again... they are not released as any sort of benefit to the listener. So..if you've not heard the album, buy a used copy. If you've already got it, no need to re-buy.

Rickchick and ausgraeme like this.
  5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

New Adventures is a masterpiece, in my opinion. And Peter Buck never lost the plot.

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

But no tunes. I love them, but REM were never really able to "rock" with any credibility to my ears anyway.

Incamera likes this.
  7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Once more, while I agree that the official release is problematic and one of their weaker albums, this could easily be their best deluxe edition/anniversary release, because, from all that we know, they did record a ton of demo material for this album that didn’t make the final cut.

8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I Don’t Sleep, I Dream, Tongue, and Strange Currencies are all “tunes” in my book. What’s good about R.E.M. didn’t totally disappear on this album.

Rickchick likes this.
  9. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Have to say, I agree with you entirely. But music is also 100% subjective so I’m happy for those that enjoy the album. Was very disappointed when it came out, and after giving it another try recently gave it to a charity shop. Just doesn’t do anything for me.

Incamera and sjaca like this.
  10. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Bang & Blame

Cracklebarrel, enro99 and Rickchick like this.
  11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

First two are 2 of the better tracks. Strange Currencies is just Everybody Hurts Part 2

12. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Yes, please! My own personal favorite.

Apesbrain, Guy E and Clarkophile like this.
  13. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

It’s too bad you weren’t a member back when we did the R.E.M. album-by-album thread, I could have used your help, lol.

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree with that, although I like Strange Curremcies better than I like Everybody Hurts, and it is a welcome relief from all the distorted tremolo rockers on the rest of the album.

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I think New Adventures... is one of their best albums, and I feel the same about Monster. Actually, I rate those higher than Automatic and Out Of Time, which I feel are good, but lacking that certain special something that makes me sit bolt upright and listen. But then, I also rate Up and Reveal very highly, with Reveal being something of a minor late period masterpiece, so what the hell do I know?

16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Really? One of the best live rock bands I've ever seen, especially early on.

17. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

You know what you like

ralphb and Clarkophile like this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

For an album with no good songs, Monster spun off an impressive 5 singles. I'll say a few of the deeper cuts at the end of the record are kinda weak...it could've been a 10 track album ending with "Let Me In" and I don't think many would've minded. But that's true of the majority of albums from the CD era.

19. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I can imagine :). It doesn't seem to get much love from the majority of R.E.M. fans - at least not nearly as much as it deserves. To me, it's a very warm, loveable and memorable album.

Cracklebarrel, Clarkophile and ralphb like this.
  20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

:laughup: I love Mr. Buck but, yes, his interviews are often to be taken with a grain of salt.

ausgraeme likes this.
  21. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I love Reveal. It doesn't get nearly as much love as it should. It's the perfect lazy summer evening album. So chill, warm, and relaxing.

Doctor Worm, walrus, Kate_C. and 3 others like this.
  22. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Monster is a solid record that I have always enjoyed. The fact that it later became a charity shop staple has more to do with the BMG Record Club, and its 10 for a penny marketing, than the quality of the songs.

23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Nonsense,I lot of people dumped it cause it just didn’t hold up over time.Same as Hootie and The Blowfish.You’ll see this 25th Anniversary edition heavily discounted within a month of it’s release this fall.

24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Probably true, but an album does have to sell a ton in order to become a used bin staple. I can’t count the number of copies of Simon and Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits I’ve seen over the years in used LP bins, and no one thinks that that’s a bad album. It just sold a zillion copies and there are a zillion copies floating around.

Binni, enro99, Buda and 3 others like this.
  25. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Although Reveal is hit and miss for me, I think it has some of their best tunes. Reno is one of the best songs in their catalog and Imitation Of Life is an awesome single (and video). And I really like The Lifting kicking off the whole thing. There are a few lesser songs so definitely an album of really high highs and forgettable lows.

Also, I love Monster. It is great that they didn't just repeat themselves when that would have been the easy thing to do.

WilliamWes and walrus like this.