R.E.M´s 'Automatic for the People' reissue confirmed for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  2. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Binni likes this.
  3. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

What if you get a Dolby Atmos system some day though?

Think about your future man!

4. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I would love the Atmos disc, but have NO need for CDs. Wish they would just sell it separately. Or even with the vinyl, which I would like to have...Oh well. Maybe someone will sell the Atmos disc? :(

I bought the INXS set because it was $28 on sale. I have no need for the CDs in that set, either. Just the Atmos disc. But at $28 it was really fair. This REM set, not so much.

coffeetime likes this.
  5. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Bought the new 'Automatic For the People' reissue last week (01.24.18) and was surprised to see the Chris Bellman c/b in the dead-wax. The record sounds incredible: immediate, detailed, quiet w/ no hiss, pops or crackles and the performance oddly lends itself to vinyl in it's overall presentation. All of John Paul Jones's string arrangements, the acoustic almost spiritual tone of the band's approach, the flow of the set itself: it all seems deeper, more intimate. Especially with such an compassionate and personal a release for R.E.M.. The more strident tunes jump out of the soundstage but don't overpower but offer their delightful punctuation to the more lilting, reflective songs.

Thing is, this was a recording made when CDs were in their ascendency and vinyl for most, was in the rear view mirror. To hear it like this for the first time has been a real pleasure. Even The Bride who often berates my purchasing of an already owned title is besotted and agrees with the revelations and has been playing it.

Makes me curious about the vinyl 'Out of Time' anniversary re-release as well – does it sound as good as the USA version of 'Automatic...'? That was another favourite that I never heard on vinyl but strongly considered revisiting (all those mandolins and 12 strings!). As I bought 'Automatic...' I recalled Peter Buck loving his wax and thought it might be a good bet. It surpassed my expectations. Only thing missing to me, is Corbin's photo of Stipe up to his neck in the ocean w/ his eyes closed which always seemed a great visual metaphor for the album at the time. Makes me think 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' at 25 in 2021 is going to be wonderful, too...

6. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

The reissue lp is $19.19 via Amazon Prime right now. Cx3 indicates it has been this low before, but never lower. I found this thread while searching for info on pressing quality and sound. Just ordered..

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I had an Amazon credit and got it for free. Looking forward to checking it out. I hope it's better than the other recent reissues I have heard.

8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Currently spinning said reissue....
    [​IMG]

Kubricker and IronWaffle like this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I just got the new LP. For some reason I was expecting a double album. Surprised it was all on 1LP

10. Ernie D

Ernie D Forum Resident

Hi @megatroptimus, did you ever post a link here to your compiliation? Would love to hear it.

aoxomoxoa and MerseyBeatle like this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

He won't be able to post such a link here -- it's against forum rules, and will be deleted immediately. Can't post links for downloads of any music files -- either official or bootleg.

Ernie D likes this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Any know of any news concerning this series of reissues and if Monster will follow anytime soon?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’m looking forward to “New Adventures” the most

DavidD, redsock, aoxomoxoa and 2 others like this.
  14. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Next up is The BBC Box Set in October

aoxomoxoa, JoeF. and Porkpie like this.
  15. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Ohhh!
    Do you have a link?

16. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

No Word on content yet.

R.E.M. at the BBC

Hep Alien and Markyp like this.
  17. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

:righton: .
    Keeping an eye on that :winkgrin:

18. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

The rest are running on a 25th anniversary cycle so we won't see Monster until next year, New Adventures in 2021, etc.

Matthew Tate and Porkpie like this.
  19. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

Does anyone own US Precision original '92, German Alsdorf'92 and latest reissue?
    Any comments on pros and cons of each issue are very appreciated.

20. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Is the booklet worth the price alone?

21. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

IMHO, not really... This is no Beatles White album deluxe book !!

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

4 minute glimpse at the book - roughly 4-8 min mark. There's other "unboxing" videos of the set on youtube including one with Stipe/Mills

Timos, Binni and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Did anyone actually get a copy of the vinyl LP that wasn't scratched/scuffed/noisy beyond belief? I have gone through a handful of copies and they all look like they were dragged across the floor prior to shipping. Hard to believe this was an RTI pressing.

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Check out the rave about the vinyl in post #480 (18 posts up).

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, the sound is great! if i ignore the surface noise. i've never seen such an awful pressing from RTI.