R.I.P., Bob Shane, founding member of The Kingston Trio.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident Thread Starter

Someone may have already scooped me on this but I haven't seen it yet. Bob Shane, the last surviving original member of the Kingston Trio, passed away yesterday at age 85. There were other folk groups before them and they were profoundly influenced by the Weavers, but it was the Kingston Trio who majorly set the wheels in motion for the full scale folk revival which had its first rumblings in the late '50s and exploded full force in the early '60s. Had it not been for the Kingston Trio, Joan Baez and Bob Dylan would still have happened but they wouldn't have achieved such massive fame as soon as they did if the KT hadn't paved the way. There are many folk purists and other hard core folkies who have nothing good to say about the Trio, but they were at one time the world's #1 singing group. Bob Dylan said more than once that he always liked the Kingston Trio and acknowledged them as an influence. After the Trio disbanded in 1967, Bob Shane was the first to record Bobby Russell's classic tearjerker "Honey", but it wasn't promoted well and it sank without a trace. Later, Bobby Goldsboro had a big hit with it. Thinking his solo career wasn't going anywhere, Bob Shane assembled a new Kingston Trio and carried on with different configurations of the group until his retirement several years ago. Another legend gone.

sjaca, Damiano54, longdist01 and 20 others like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can a moderator please fix the thread title? Add The Kingston Trio. Get more than 6 people clicking on the thread that way. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  3. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

The two Bear Family box sets covering the KT’s original two lineups are among my favorites of all all the great sets that label has released. It’s kind of a bummer that the group currently touring under the Kingston Trio name has nothing to do with that musical legacy other than being able to presumably license the name from Bob Shane. I wonder if his passing changes anything with that?

4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

5. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

[​IMG]

Spring 1957, Bob centre

8. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

RIP. My Dad is a HUGE Kingston Trio fan. He took me to see them in 1990.

9. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I practically grew up on the KT. The home I grew up in had mono copies of The Kingston Trio At Large, Here We Go Again, Make Way, Close-Up, Time To Think and Back In Town. In the years since, I accumulated their 45's of "Tom Dooley" and "Reverend Mr. Black"; and the LP's The Longest Night Of The Year (in both mono and stereo), Sold Out (stereo, Scranton and L.A. pressings) and String Along.

As we go on, I'll present some of my favorite Trio tracks. Here, from At Large, "Early Mornin' ":

on7green, clhboa, Folknik and 2 others like this.
  10. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The Kingston Trio had a distinctive vocal sound, they recorded a lot of good songs, and they're often a lot of fun. That's about all you really need.

Rest easy, Mr. Shane.

Greenalishi, CCrider92 and Folknik like this.
  11. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

My dad's favorite band. He saw them at the original "hungry i" in San Francisco. Dad took me to see Bob Shane and his Trio in the late 70s at a local high school.

CCrider92, Jack Lord, Folknik and 2 others like this.
  12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sorry to hear. I got to meet Bob a couple of times when his later Trio band was booked on events with my band. I was a Trio fan when I was a kid and would chat with him about tunes I loved from the early days. He seemed tired unfortunately and burnt out on the Trio gig to me.

13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

What a shame, such an important group

14. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

The Trio was my first musical obsession.

1962, 7th grade, a friend played String Along for me.

The deal was done, got Goin’ Places, and then String Along, and then, boy did they have a lot of product!

They were the base for what 1965 was to bring, Byrds, Spoonful, Simon & Garfunkel, Mamas & Papas, etc.

Didn’t know it at the time, but they got me into record collecting, folk music history, and sanity until The Beatles.

Thanks Bob...

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Folknik and seed_drill like this.
  16. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

RIP Bob. The Kingston Trio was the reason I first picked up a guitar back in the day.

CCrider92, granola and Folknik like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P. great band...

CCrider92, Rick Bartlett and Folknik like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

85? that's life...he was lucky to be there. ; )

Folknik and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

My mother loved the Kingston Trio. She took me to see them in 1984.

RIP Bob Shane.

Folknik and KeninDC like this.
  20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

21. zen

zen Senior Member

...Thank you kindly, Bob Shane! ...and say hello to, "Desert Pete." :targettiphat:

Recordfan and Folknik like this.
  22. boe

boe Forum Resident

The Kingston Trio rank #8 on the list of artists with the most Top Ten albums. Dominated the charts between Elvis and the Beatles. A huge influence on a lot of musicians (including McGuinn and Lindsey Buckingham off the top of my head). The hardcore NYC folk establishment didn’t dig them (even though the trio never saw themselves as strictly a folk group) but Dylan had nice words for them in Chronicles. And their popularity on college campuses was a huge factor in establishing the college tour circuit that was essential for the development of rock through the late 70s. Crazy that they’re never even in the discussion for the RRHOF.

scousette, granola, Folknik and 3 others like this.
  23. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I added them to the Revisited ballots we did on here.

Folknik likes this.
  24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Not many people know this but "Tom Dooley" won the very first Country and Western Grammy in 1958.

25. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

This is what my Dad had to say: "That's sad news for me. He would not let the KT die. Must have reformed the members half a dozen times. Last interview I saw he was on heavy oxygen. I think he was a lifelong smoker. Had a great voice. Frank Sinatra claimed he was the best baritone he had ever heard. Scotch and Soda was his signature song."

Jarleboy, Folknik and shnaggletooth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.