R.I.P., Bob Shane, founding member of The Kingston Trio.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allthingsmusic

Allthingsmusic Forum Resident

RIP Bob Shane. The Kingston Trio influenced so many. A staple in so many family record collections.

Folknik and BradOlson like this.
  2. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Guard, Shane and Reynolds. 1990

[​IMG]

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They replaced the word with a loud guitar strum.

Folknik likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The censored version:

Folknik likes this.
  5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

6. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I always blame The Kingston Trio for two things: getting me into record collecting in high school back in the late 80's (taking a chance on a near mint stereo of "Here We Go Again" for a dime) and helping me discover my eclectic taste in music. I became a huge fan of the Trio, and over the last 30 + years after spending that first dime, I ended up buying every LP (both in mono and stereo from "At Large" thru the 4 Decca albums), EP's, 45's, CD Box Sets and other releases-----even today the Trio still plays a HUGE part in my music rotation. I really love them. RIP Bob

clhboa and Folknik like this.
  7. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The Kingston Trio were around when I was just starting to become aware of popular music. I remember "Tom Dooley" being on the radio constantly.

I always wondered why it was important that it be a "wide oak tree". Wouldn't a normal oak, or even a thin one, have served just as well?

The other thing that bothered me, once I started to actually think about the lyrics of that MTA song, was this: his wife apparently had time to hand him a cut lunch each day as the train passed through the station. Couldn't she just as easily have slipped him some coins as well, enabling him to pay his fare and get off? This is the elephant in the room. It's my uneasy suspicion that she simply did not want him back home, and was happy to just see him once a day for a few seconds.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    starduster, bumbletort and Folknik like this.
  8. The Kingston Trio were an important influence in music history and in my own personal early musical development. Rest in peace Bob Shane.

Folknik likes this.
  9. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

In a sense, it's a shame that Shane's death was overshadowed by that of Kobe Bryant who passed away the same day, albeit under much different circumstances . . .

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Rest easy Bob.

CCrider92, starduster and Folknik like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You're right. I just realized that when looking up the day he died.

Folknik likes this.
  13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. That does clarify who he was for many. Being a pretty rabid Kingston Trio fan myself, I sometimes forget that Bob, Nick, and Dave (and John) aren't nearly the household words that John, Paul, George and Ringo are. Cheers!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident Thread Starter

For many years, that censored version of "Greenback Dollar" was unavailable. All of the compilations used the album version with the "damn" intact. Some years ago while thrift shopping, I just happened to scare up a copy of the censored single. It's now included on the Bear Family box set The Stewart Years. It was a bit of a shock to a lot of people in the early '60s who knew the song from the censored version on the radio, and then bought the album The New Frontier and behold, there was that forbidden word.

15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

My mother's favorite band and thus part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

RIP Bob

Folknik likes this.
  16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't think I ever heard a "censored" version of Greenback Dollar, though I always heard the word as "dang", probably because I heard what I expected to hear.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My favorite of their hits is the cover of Pete Seeger's song:

Folknik likes this.
  18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I learned so many songs from Trio albums first. I guess they were the first "manufactured image", but they were truly world music as well as folk. I love every track by the Guard led trio. The Stewart years about 70 percent.
    Look for the reunion concert on DVD as well as the video biography.
    RIP Bobby. Mud in your eye.

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Which they admitted they stole from Peter Paul and Mary. They saw them perform it, wrote the words down and recorded a similar arrangement claiming authorship. The spit hit the fan as first they had stolen a Pete Seeger song and they were embarrassed, apologized and set that right and by way of PP&M they gave them Cruel War in apology. According to John Stewart Mary never forgave them.

20. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Didn't they just play at The Throckmorton Theatre a week or two ago?

21. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

No original members in current lineup.

Folknik likes this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Poorly. Its so obvious its painful. they laid that loud guitar strum over the word. Yeesh.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Bob was one of my first music heroes more than 60 years ago. Lots of memories with the trio whose LP's were the first I bought. Got to see them once just after John took Dave's place. They were an often much maligned band who opened a lot of doors for what was to follow them. Rest in peace, Bob, and thanks for helping to open so many doors.

Folknik likes this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeap. It's a complete 'out of place' strum thing......
    An overdub on the original recording perhaps?
    It was the hit version here, so I am kind of use to it.
    Still, wanna know how they did it.

Folknik likes this.
  25. The lyrics refer to a "white oak tree" rather than a "wide oak tree".

Tom Dula was actually hanged on a gallows in my home town of Statesville, NC and not from any kind of tree. The Kingston Trio gave a concert at Statesville High School at the height of their popularity and I was there!

Tom Dula was convicted on flimsy grounds and may have been innocent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.