R.I.P., Bob Shane, founding member of The Kingston Trio.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Their hit Reverend Mr Black wasn't a fluke, it was a classroom project. A class in Chicago attempted to influence a hit record and chose the KT album track and started inundating the radio stations with requests for Reverend. Not only did they get this adaptation of an old gospel song on the radio, they actually broke it nationally.

Folknik, starduster and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Seriously?! You were there?
    How Cool! Do tell.....

Folknik likes this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

R.I.P. My Dad was a fan. As a very young kid I played the 45 of "Tom Dooley" to death.

Folknik likes this.
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

...and "Merry Minuet" is every bit as amusingly timely now as it was back then. (Apologies if someone else already said so; I'm plugging through the thread on my phone.)

Folknik likes this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I am aware of that now. The point is that, being a young kid and never having seen a white oak tree, that's what I heard. It's what's called a mondegreen.

Folknik likes this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'm so dumb, I don't get what you guys are talkin' bout.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Folknik likes this.
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I learned Tom Dooley by ear. Wide oak is how I sang it and I damn well like it that way! Its called the folk process. The KT don't sing Frank Profitt's lyrics either. They were never about being authentic, just making good records.

Folknik likes this.
  9. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf I bite when angry...

I got introduced to the KT thanks to a retro jukebox that was in a Kentucky Fried Chicken I used to eat at. I had never heard of them. Thanks KFC!

clhboa and Folknik like this.
  10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I just finished reading the Wikipedia article on the Kingston Trio. The more I learn about them, the more I think they may well have been the most influential popular music band of all time. Yes, more so than that well-known Liverpudlian quartet.
    Just check the list at the end of the article, for artists who claim the Kingston trio as an influence. Unlike many such lists, where artists say "Oh yes I listened a lot to the Beatles when I was young", in most of these cases you can actually hear the KT influence coming through in these people's music.

Those who criticised the band for altering and "sanitising" folk songs to make them commercial, have to face the uncomfortable fact that many of these songs might otherwise have been forgotten.

Folknik and starduster like this.
  11. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

A bit of the Trio could be heard (arrangements notwithstanding) in The Animals' "The House Of The Rising Sun" - their version certainly ensured that old blues standard wouldn't be forgotten. And the lyrics of that were certainly altered in some spots.

I see Lindsey Buckingham's name was mentioned in connection with those influenced by the KT. He actually worked with some of the "original" members, performed amongst them on the 1981 reunion special which featured the then-current, Guard and Stewart Trios, and supervised Stewart's Bombs Away Dream Babies album - on which Stevie Nicks was one of the background singers on his biggest solo hit, "Gold."

And as was said, at one point The Trio was the biggest thing happening to Capitol, accounting for a healthy chunk of their profits (alongside such other heavy-hitters of the times as Sinatra and Nat King Cole). Even, at the zenith of Triomania in 1959, considering a strike at their Scranton plant which lasted from June to September of that year.

Folknik likes this.
  12. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Also issued on the CCM reissue of New Frontier/Time to Think.

The Kingston Trio* - New Frontier / Time To Think

Folknik likes this.
  13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

And the Kingston Trio succeeded in their goal, making great records. Everybody needs to hear their music.

Folknik and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

That interesting fact made me ponder the idea that the emergence of the Kingston Trio might be as good an event as any to mark the point of the passing of one musical era and the beginning of another. From the era of crooners and big bands, to one dominated by trios and quartets playing music largely based around the guitar.

Folknik and starduster like this.
  15. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

People of all ages can love their music but you had to be alive in the late 50's/early 60's to realize how important they were. Their music was everywhere and it was part of the vanguard of the folk revival with it's focus on music that was more meaningful than much of the pop music of the time.
    RIP and thanks.

PsychGuy and starduster like this.
  16. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

A mono copy of the album The Best Of The Kingston Trio (1962), which my parents purchased shortly after their marriage in 1966, was a record I've played since I was about 3 or 4 in the mid-1970's. It was a great introduction to The Kingston Trio and it's made me a fan of theirs all of my life. I bought many of their original albums at second-hand shops over the years and still listen to them regularly to this day. It's sad to see the last-surviving original member go.
    RIP Mr. Shane. I genuinely thank you for the music you helped create.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  17. BradOlson

The person who arranged this adaption is legendary country singer-songwriter Billy Edd Wheeler.

Folknik likes this.
  18. BradOlson

I am fully aware of how important they were.

Folknik likes this.
  19. BradOlson

Frank Proffitt's version of Tom Dooley:

Folknik and JamieC like this.
  20. BradOlson

Folknik likes this.
  21. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Not to mention the striped, button down shirts, with the elbow length short sleeves!

Folknik and CCrider92 like this.
  22. BradOlson

That was a huge fashion statement at the time and is a timeless look.

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Which the Beach Boys openly swiped.

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Well, I read Frank Proffitt's dismissal of the Kingston Trio's version of his song, but this is the first time I have heard the original, and I have to say: Sorry Frank, with all respect, the Trio breathed extra life into the song. I'd go so far as to say they gave the song something it needed - a mournful sense of regret and foreboding.

I'm reminded of something Bob Lind said. Someone had played him a cover of one his songs - a very odd cover, in a completely different style from the original. They clearly expected Lind to be critical, and to claim that his song had been butchered. Instead of that, he said "I love it when someone finds something in one of my songs that I didn't know was there."

Folknik, bumbletort and starduster like this.
  25. BradOlson

Frank Proffitt of Reese, North Carolina | Smithsonian Folkways Recordings is where to order the album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.