R.I.P Brian Dennehy 1938-2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brendan K, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Really good actor with a great body of work. I remember really liking him in "Best Seller" with James Woods, but I haven't seen that in probably 30 years, so I have no idea how it holds up.

Juggsnelson and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Brian Dennehy + RIP

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Solid as a rock. If he popped up in a movie - often a B-movie - it always made it a lot more enjoyable. A proper working actor.

R.I.P.

5. Terrific actor and Highlight in Silveradoamong other terrific films.

6. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Good one!

7. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Another one of my favorites gone. I guess I better just get used to it.

God bless him. May he rest in peace.

Karnak and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

on my favourite actors always gave quality performances ! I last saw him in the Blacklist ! Rip you will be missed !

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP Brian.

Very good supporting actor.

10. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I loved him in Gladiator. Probably my favorite of all his roles.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Very sad news... he was in so many classic films. RIP.

I guess now it's time for Otm Shank to step into the Hollywood limelight.

12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Watched the movie Driveways last night - very touching movie - when you are in the mood for a happy movie.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great cast ( kinda underrated).

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

No doubt. He had incredible power and presence on stage. I never had the chance to see him live, but a couple weeks ago the Goodman Theater in Chicago offered for a very limited time a live stream (at Death Of A Salesman , in a charitable enterprise for The Actors Fund) of the 2000 "Death of a Salesman" production in which he played Willy Loman, first at the Goodman, then at the Eugene O'Neill Theater in New York, where I believe the video was shot for replay on Showtime. It's clear why the video has never seen a wider subsequent release; it's standard definition and unfortunately can't be made to look very good now on HDTV. And his performance is at times overwhelming, the kind of thing that's sometimes hard to watch on TV, which I suspect he knew, having produced the video; but in the theater it would have been just devastating, in just the right way. If the recording ever is made available again I would encourage you to see it -- it's the kind of thing that really should be seen once.

15. MikaelaArsenault

Who is replacing Brian's role on The Blacklist?

16. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

17. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I was lucky to have caught that live stream a few weeks ago as well-- really fantastic, he was such a great Willie Loman. I hope the video gets wider distribution at some point- and technically while it's not state-of-the-art now, it looked and sounded fine to me.

SBurke likes this.
  18. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I may need to rewatch First Blood to refresh my memory, but I remember Dennehy as the good guy sheriff who was doing his job. He correctly saw Rambo as an undesirable and simply gave him a lift out of town. Okay I am starting to remember some torture scenes in the jail but that could have been avoided if Rambo had simply moved on.

MikaelaArsenault and Karnak like this.
  19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Jake Dunham his role, where Blake was on trial for murder in the killing of Steven's friend Ted Dinard.

20. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

I was very fortunate to see him on Broadway in this astonishing performance . I think it was unusual to see a man of his considerable height and size in this role but he was heartbreaking, as was the actress who played his wife. This play, as many of Millers stands the test of time.

SBurke and mike s in nyc like this.
  21. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Before he became really famous, he lived across the street from my family (on Long Island) back when I was in elementary school. I seem to recall being scolded by him by hitting a wiffle ball onto his lawn (which wasn't very big). He obviously moved onto a great career and is surely missed by family and fans alike.

22. Dok

Dok Senior Member

23. MikaelaArsenault

Dok likes this.
  24. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

I remember him for Presumed Innocent and Silverado, and him having played John Wayne Gacy in a TV production.

Pete Puma likes this.
  25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Fantastic, and I agree -- there's a market for it -- I adjusted to it fairly quickly as well. I'm happy you saw it and enjoyed it!
    Totally agree, she (Elizabeth Franz) was amazing. It's so interesting to hear your comment on Dennehy's physical presence. I'm really not familiar with the performance history of the play (having actually only read it before watching this video, never having seen it before), but in talking about it, I assumed he was unusual for the role. I likened it to the distinction Jon Vickers brought to Peter Grimes, in the Britten opera, as distinguished from Peter Pears's creation of the role (Britten supposedly hated Vickers's hulking, brooding figure).

Cheers fellas

mike s in nyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.