R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

George Michael, although very young at the time, wrote Club Tropicana as a sarcastic kind of piss take. But much like for eg Heaven 17, it was lost on the masses who took it as a kind of anthem.

sunspot42 and oldturkey like this.
  2. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It was lost on me too. I must be part of the masses! I know George Michael started off singing about dole queues and the DHSS though.

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

George Michael wrote I thought one of the more enduring - and broadly heard - bits of social commentary from that time, "Everything She Wants".

bob60 likes this.
  4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Listening to the new reissues (that were released today) and at the moments just had to post something here..
    [​IMG]
    Still missing you so much David Bowie, I love you and will never forget you.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  5. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The fourth image is Bono from his hoodie days. Slightly different shot from the same photoshoot.

[​IMG]

6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Nope, the 4th pic is Al Jourgensen of Ministry.

From left to right on the wall, the Bauhaus logo, Peter Murphy, Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, Al Jourgensen of Ministry, Deborah Harry, Joey Ramone of the Ramones, David Bowie, Depeche Mode's logo, Ian Curtis of Joy Division, Morrissey, Siouxsie of Siouxsie and the Banshees, and Robert Smith of The Cure.

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just found this, a rare news soundbite from Van Morrison recorded on the day he was knighted, and he has nothing but kind things to say about David Bowie. From anyone else, this would be unspectacular, but from the notoriously prickly and cantankerous Morrison, this is kind of a nice surprise.

JoeF., Runicen, footlooseman and 4 others like this.
  8. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I like the way they have to put up subtitles for VM's speaking voice!
    Bowie must have seen Them quite a lot at the Marquee in the early 60s, and Van was quite an influence on early Bowie.
    He's paying tribute to his conversation though, not his music. Never speak ill of the dead!

9. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Happy birthday to Kim Jong-Un :tsk:, Elvis, Shirley Bassey and Graham Chapman for tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Shiver me timbers! I can't believe I've never seen the presentation at the end of this video (4.30). Fully deserved for services to Humanity.
    Bowie ruled the (air)waves in 1974, metamorphosising from glam to soul, recording both Diamond Dogs and Young Americans and pulling off a mammoth US tour all in the same year. Phew!

10. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Don't forget Wearside Jack and R Kelly :hide:

11. Efus

Efus Senior Member

There will be a documentary covering the last 5 years of Bowie's life being shown starting Monday at 8 pm on HBO.

12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Jazeker ! Now raise your glass of schelvispekel high in anticipation:rant: of a toast. Oh wait, the man has to move his Jag gone stateside first :laugh:

Fullbug, JL6161, Oatsdad and 3 others like this.
  13. cadesdad

cadesdad Forum Resident

I was older before I really began to appreciate Bowie--I think his approach to music was too sophisticated for me for a long time. I appreciated his dedication to not only pushing the boundaries of pop music, but his dedication of other art forms, such as visual arts and film (he was a fine, underrated actor). He was also intelligent, articulate, and humble in interviews. I wish I'd realized his gifts and contributions when I was younger.

14. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

A bit of a step up from a Riley Gamecock.

[​IMG]

15. Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan Forum Resident

David Bowie interviewed by Dave Fanning,RTE Irish radio.1997.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

[​IMG]
    Remembering Ziggy on what would've been his 71st birthday. Can't believe it's already been two years.

17. footprintsinthesand

Speaking of Ziggy, Mister Sussex has done another one... synched classic Ziggy audio and video. Instant classic once more.

Tanx, Purple Jim, oldturkey and 3 others like this.
  18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

[​IMG]
    Two years..
    Still missing you so much David Bowie, I love you and will never forget you.

The MEZ, Dan C, Davido and 6 others like this.
  19. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Can't quite believe it's been two years since he passed. I still miss him.

Going to listen to some Bowie albums today... Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Station to Station, Scary Monsters and Blackstar.

The MEZ and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

In case you missed it, you can celebrate the man by visiting NYC this spring for the David Bowie Is exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum. $20 weekdays, $25 weekends.

21. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Does anyone know if Bowie knew music theory?

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I plan to spin some DB this evening.

Good news about HBO showing documentary too.

23. footprintsinthesand

Dunno, but enough to be asked to narrate Peter And The Wolf

[​IMG]

Dan C likes this.
  24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I stumbled across this in Barcelona and was blown away. I believe this will be the final engagement for it, so if you can go, go.

I should probably plan a spring trip to Manhattan. I'd like to see it again.

25. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

It's so weird to see Bowie driving, like a human. I think I always assumed that he just . . . materialized wherever he was going.

Runicen, Dan C, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.