R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Berlin, 2002.

2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Sadly it took Bowie's death to really get me to explore his work. I casually enjoyed his work prior, but since then I've had the need to track everything he did and own it. it's been quite a ride. The real sadness will probably be when I finally complete my collection and it'll hit me there is no more. Right now he feels alive to me.

3. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Cool! Me too I play it loud on my way home in traffic It’s my favorite :wave:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Gregory Earl likes this.
  4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Im in kinda little hurry, so apologies for copying couple comments from the past but they still feel like the right words here:

From january 12th, 2016:
    It's been really sad times, as the new album came on friday I played it on repeat during the whole weekend (already on friday I must have played it 4-5 times atleast as I really, I mean I really liked it),
    saw the videos and paid attention to lyrics, but it totally came to new light as the news spread on monday morning.

On monday morning I had just started doing my usual work-stuff over at the office and I didn't had any time to check the news or this forum, then couple minutes later I notice that my phone rings.
    It's my wife and our talk went something along these lines:
    Mrs. SammyJoe: "Have you read the news, is it true that David Bowie has died? Or is it another hoax again? I just read about it but not sure if it false.."
    I just stare with empty eyes to my computer and have little black out moment.
    Then I proceed to this forum and see the dedicated topic on the matter.
    SammyJoe: "Well, let me check. It can't be for real. Oh my god, it's true unfornately true."
    Mrs. SammyJoe: "That can't be for real, as we just listened to his new album on friday".

This is truly tragic loss, feels like someone (dear friend) who was there always for me but now has left me alone here.

[​IMG]

From february 7th, 2017:
    Blackstar, truly great album and I got seriously hooked from the very first moments I heard it.
    It was fantastic right from the start when I first heard it in full on the day it was released and I listened to it many times already that weekend.
    It was just great since Bowie had somehow found his muse again, done "The Next Day" couple years earlier and now Blackstar continued that path.
    Blackstar totally got it done for me, immaculate and perfect album and I haven't heard anything in the same feeling and effect it got on me.
    The album flows well and there are no pointless moments or weak songs at all.
    Lazarus, for example, Im kinda wordless as its so powerful and moving song. Hard to even describe how important song that is for me.
    I will forever miss Bowie and feel sadness over the fact that we will not get new music from him, just as it felt so great to have these 2 comeback albums and then he's gone.
    What an amazing new album and then he left us here all alone without him.

Blackstar, true masterpiece. Perfect and immaculate in my humble opinion.
    The best last album ever from anyone. Love You David and thanks for the wonderful music!

I think I've missed something special and now all the albums released after Blackstar have indeed missed something, "it" to click with me..
    I think it was really tragic and coming out of nowhere, as he had just released that vital and important album, Blackstar and then he has left us here..
    So here I am again listening to my precious David Bowie and remembering stuff..
    Still missing you so much David Bowie, I love you and will never forget you. :love:

Runicen, TheSeldomSeenKid and Mr Day like this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

By thinking and listening to Lazarus, it had that amazing feeling and effect on me right from the first hearing. It's still present there and haven't lost any of it's charm.
    Something similar which also I caught with Queen's The Show Must Go On, which I have memories of hearing in 1991.
    Lazarus is probably one my absolute favorites from the recent years, immaculate diamond taken from perfect farewell album.

Runicen and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Also, I got David Bowie tattoo on june 19th, 2017.
    Im totally satisfied but for certain feelings I like to keep it as mine, so I won't still be posting any pics here.
    Instead, I've shared plenty of pics from my Iron Maiden-fullsleeve that I have and some other tattoos.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Only 3x for me over the first two years, but the wound is a bit healed, so...

8. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I think it is live in Berlin 2002

Galactus2 likes this.
  9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Can't believe its been 3 years already. Geez Louise. I could have sworn it was only like 2.

10. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I just finished listening to the 5.1 mix on DVD-A of his Stage live LP........there is no finer way of remembering him imho.

The MEZ likes this.
  11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I remember playing Blackstar the weekend before his death, thinking it would be great to hear these songs live, and wondering if he would ever tour again. Unfortunately I got my answer on the Monday.

Zongadude and Solace like this.
  12. "People still mourn when people die. That’s self-sympathy. All human beings are selfish to a certain extent, and that’s why people get so sad when someone dies. They haven’t finished using him. The person who is dead ain’t crying." ~ Jimi Hendrix, 1969.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I miss David Bowie so much... I loved everything about him and his art. Blackstar is IMO one of his finest hours ever. So glad he managed to put out such a masterpiece when he was in so much pain.

Brendan K, Jmac1979, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  14. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Man, I still remember that day Blackstar hit the shelves and I got home with my pre-ordered copy, spinning it immediately.

Next Monday, I'm in school and my mom (a Bowie fan too) sends me a message about his death - 5 minutes later, it's all over social media as well, newspapers, radio... my classmates ridiculed my sadness (pretty much up until graduation which happened more than one year later) but to me this remains one of the darkest days as a music lover and collector.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Runicen, Carlox, Bowie Fett and 13 others like this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Spinning my Best of Bowie DVDs this morning. Remarkable, just remarkable

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Your classmates don't seem very bright!

17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Shame on them!

18. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Nope, they weren't. Likely still aren't :laugh:

Runicen, sunspot42 and Man at C&A like this.
  19. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

You must have been really over the top for them to react like that. How would they know how they felt unless you loudly made it clear. I would love to hear their side of the story. When a celeb dies I roll my eyes at people who act like a family member died and i can see why people make fun of them.

20. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Of course he couldn't possibly have just been genuinely moved ? So he needs to be judged ? Sounds like you would have had lots of friends in that class.

Just today I could hardly make it through that Heroes choir clip. Three years later certain songs still cut to the core. Feel free to make fun of me for that.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Vaughan, JediJoker, Zongadude and 4 others like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Teens are gonna be cruel. I was 13 when Lennon died, and some kids laughed about it because they knew I was a fan - not many, but a few thought it was funny to claim I was crying or whatever. (Which I wasn't - I was upset but not in tears.)

It's just the way kids are. We can try to legislate away bullying and cruelty all we want, but kids aren't suddenly gonna change after all these years!

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As I noted in my post above, no one has to be "over the top" to have kids act like jerks. I wasn't "over the top" in my reaction to Lennon's death at all, but because the kids knew I was a fan, they gave me crap.

I find it strange that you'd side with the bullies in this case...

23. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Not at all. It just hit me, it's not like I was crying all day - I was just really sad. Strange perspective tbh, but to each his own I guess...

sunspot42 and JoeF. like this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I generally agree with your sentiment and I never feel "really" sad when a celebrity dies--though I would never give anyone abuse who did. After all, you really don't know them. That said, everyone reacts differently and when Bowie died, I was uncharacteristically sad. It was probably the combination of being a fan for 40 years, being moved by so much of his music, the timing of his death--he'd just released his final masterpiece--and the quiet dignity with which he fought the disease that killed him, a disease nearly all of us will be affected by-in some way, at some point-- in our lives.

25. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

As a huge Bowie fan since the age of 12, I was desperately sad when he died. It may be illogical, or over the top, to some people, but this man had been a part of my life for nearly 40 years. I loved his music, I thought he was cool, I listened to his recommendations of other music, films, fashion, culture. As a teenager in a boring town at a dull school, Bowie brought all sorts of exotic and exciting things into my life. I didn’t slavishly follow his every word, I considered what he was doing and saying and singing and I filtered the good bits, the relevant bits into my life. I have described this before as akin to having a cool, rakish, slightly naughty uncle. Introducing me to stuff that my parents would have disapproved of.
    Above all I admired his talent and I adored the comeback after so long out of the public eye. On the day I heard the news I cried. Many times. I never met him but David Bowie was an integral part of my life and had a huge influence in how I grew up. I don’t care if anyone thinks this is stupid, but I genuinely still miss him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.