R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

The fact is most people think it is strange to treat a celeb death like a member of the family died. That is why people laugh about it. To push this to the next level people on this board actually think the kids were really out of line or that there was something wrong with them. It is a big who cares. It shows how soft some people are.

If you are so upset that you are acting like a family member died than even you should get why others would think that is weird and funny. Who cares.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's called "empathy". Subhuman trash doesn't have it.

3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I admit it - I'm somewhat of a softie. I can handle difficult situations, but I get very emotional sometimes. And I never said I cried about it like it was a death in the family. I was just sad, as in: moody. Not exactly happy.

It's strange that society (here: my classmates, though I guess it applies to many facets of life) ridicules softness. But to reflect on this would derail this thread.

timnor, BlueSpeedway and sunspot42 like this.
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Ignore list was begging for an addition anyway :agree:

HoundsOBurkittsville and timnor like this.
  5. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

When someone has been a constant through your life irrespective if you knew them or not it can be traumatic. Calling Bowie a celeb is a disservice anyway. Almost anyone can be a celebrity these days, it doesn't mean that they make a difference in people's lives. A musician can have a huge influence on a person, both by exploring emotions through their songs, encouraging looking into other areas or music, art, literature etc. Not many family members will be doing that I am sure.

6. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Did you just make a case for being more upset by the death of a musician than of a family member?

Lets gets real here. Tons of people on this site are strange with their obsession with music. I mean very strange. Most people see that. So of course the average person is going to think it is strange or funny when they see that. Anyone who can't see that is part of the group I am talking about. IT is not good or bad but strange.

Have any of you ever read the reviews of this site but normal people? People crack up when I tell them what goes on here even though I do enjoy the site. I couldn't start a thread asking who people thought was a better songwriter between Harrison or Jagger because people take music so seriously they got triggered. I have told people that and they crack up.

7. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Did you just admit to taking seriously a web site that "reviews" other web sites? And that you claim that those "reviewers" are "normal people"?

:laughup:

Can you please point me to a site where I can review sites that review sites? I'm normal, I swear.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    MPLRecords and sunspot42 like this.
  8. Colocally

Depends on the family member.

9. Colocally

I have yet to meet a normal person.

TeddyB likes this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This. :laughup:

TonyCzar likes this.
  11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I've lost both of my parents before the age of 40 and that was a different beast all together and nothing "tops" losing those two in my loss department.... but I won't lie that Bowie, Prince, Jackson, George Michael, etc... stung me harder than losing aunts and uncles and cousins and the sort that were hardly part of my life. I mean, their music was there for me my whole life so I felt part of me die when they left us, which is more than I can say when I found out an aunt I met three times who lived on the other side of the country died... not saying her death wasn't sad, but that Bowie or Prince hit me closer to home because their music was part of my daily life as far as I can remember.

TonyCzar, timnor, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  12. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys, I think we all need to take a deep breath and try to remember this is a thread about the death of a music legend. Having said that I would like to point out that there are websites for practically every hobby, interest or passion imaginable and my guess is most "normal" people fall into one of those groups. Is there anything normal about going totally bonkers over a postage stamp, or play golf in the snow with red golf balls. If by normal you mean that your only hobby, interest or passion is watching TV then I am glad I am not normal (in the interest of full disclosure I do watch TV, I do not play golf and when I was a young child I collected stamps).

sunspot42 and Markyp like this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

We emotionally invest in our music. We have a passon for music. We admire some people who create great music for us. We're in awe of their talent.

So being affected by an unexpected death is perfectly normal. I've been listening and reading about Bowie for 50 years or more. I was damn sad when he died. I've nothing to be embarrased about.

sunspot42, Markyp and Colocally like this.
  14. Colocally

I have loads of family I barely see. Why should I care about them any more than the person I’m about to put on ignore.

15. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

You got me there.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Mr. Reality Check serves a very self-important purpose.

You can't possibly ignore that! :D

Well, OK, I guess you can...

Ignoring his posts is way better than shedding tears over reading them and their soul-stirring content. :)

17. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

I am not receiving as many likes as I though I would. Disappointing.

18. Depends also on each person, and how they process grief. My mom passed totally unexpectedly ~16-17 years ago, and her loss never hit me super hard until almost a full year later (and even then, only in waves, and pretty moderately). We were actually pretty close (closer than I am with my Dad), but somehow I just never let myself feel that loss as deeply as I suppose could have. It wasn't a conscious thing; it just happened that way (and I can't explain it).

That said, there have been a small handful of musical artists whose deaths have affected me a bit -- and maybe even slightly 'more' in the moment (but for much shorter periods of time, like maybe only a day or two), than the loss of my own mother (and again, she and I were pretty close).

The mind is a strange thing, and there's not telling how it'll react in different situations.

BTW, I *never* felt a huge loss about David Bowie -- maybe(?) because in a LOT of ways, he felt more "alive" to me -- more present, and active (and creative, and vital!!) -- especially in early 2016, but really since 2013 -- than he ever did from about 2005-2012.

Honestly, and I've said this before, Bowie felt more "alive" to me all through 2016 as I quickly (almost instantly) grew to love and adore Blackstar (still my #1 favorite Bowie album). And his 'presence' in my ears, with such vital new material, went a HUGE way in obviating his actual loss (to me, and to the world), in terms of my personal reaction to it all.

I was certainly shocked at his loss, but I never 'felt' it as deeply, because my exuberance about Blackstar really more than overshadowed his loss (for me). Heck, even now(!) he (still) 'feels' more alive to me -- when I'm listening to Blackstar, the No Plan EP, and the Maria Schneider version of "Sue" -- than he ever did circa 2005-2012.

But the loss of Miles Davis, George Harrison, and oddly Rick Wright (Floyd) all hit me a little harder than I would have expected. Not deeply, but their losses really caught me off guard, and I found myself thinking about them way more in the next weeks and months, than I would have predicted.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.