R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

How do you know that they are his friends? He was at the theatre along with many other people that night. I thought their look was one of they couldn't believe that they are standing next to a legend like Bowie.
    Please do not think I am bragging but I have met met many mega famous people in the past, and usually when you first meet/see them you are kind of not quiet sure if it is really them, especially with older artists because we are still used to seeing more images of them in their prime, for eg Paul McCartney or Tina Turner. Tina Turner has been off the radar/retired now for as long as Bowie, and if tomorrow you happened to be standing next to her at a function, would you recognise her immediately? We tend to remember them how they look when they were younger, not necceserally how they look now.

mooseman likes this.
  2. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Young Americans. Having binged through all my Bowie vinyl since Monday. I must say that Young Americans basically invented Prince's career and Beck's more 'soully' albums.

He should sued!!

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

4. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/features/rapp.htm

snowman872 and Clarkophile like this.
  5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Bowie basically cashed in the day before the business collapsed. It was a genius move on his part. Much more will be written out this in the coming months I am sure.

drasil and sunspot42 like this.
  6. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Bowie talks about Dylan

Michael D, keyXVII, Robin L and 4 others like this.
  7. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

I've been listening to a lot of his music over the past few days and his passing really hits home. Interesting to read all the comments from his peers.

8. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

I wish I could give you a tap on the shoulder, but I'll have to do it virtually. I agree this is a good place to mourn and find solace. I'm so glad this forum exists.

9. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

11. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

12. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Fascinating. I just listened to Pearls Before Swine's Rocket Man on Spotify and it's one of those melancholy early 70s ballads. Sort of a Nick Drake vibe. I'm going to have to listen to this band. I like that sound.

13. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

I was shocked when I read the news early monday morning and was glad to be the day off from work that day.I read earlier in this thread, I Just Can't Process This! And that is how I felt and still feel.I've been listening to his albums since I was about 13 or 14 and followed him the rest if my life.Strange thing is that I am Doors fan, I have my own website about The Doors and a good running forum.I am into psychedelic music and love the 60's.
    I never realized untill monday how big of an influence David Bowie had in my life.I'm still in shock and all kinds of emotions pass my mind.Guess I am in mourn.This evening I finally managed to listen to his music, alone in the house, just Bowie and me.And it was ok.Farewell Starman, you blew my mind. Godspeed

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Criminy pete and Yovra like this.
  14. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

When Dylan introduced Ronson during the Rolling Thunder tour, he introduced him as, "the man who invented Bowie."

bleachershane likes this.
  15. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Elton John contributed to the recent Ziggy Stardust documentary, and spoke highly of Bowie and the album.

Rooster_Ties and snowman872 like this.
  16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I'm sure there was mutual respect. Quotes can be taken out of context.

They both survived their younger days.

17. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Nice sentiment Bob, but not very accurate.

bleachershane likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

[​IMG]

Came across this Smash Hits review of the Glass Spider tour in 1988. Not exactly a rave, but amusing enough and very much of it's time.:)

Solace likes this.
  19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I started watching this concert on Youtube yesterday. Very strange concert.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don't think even Bowie was a fan of that tour and the Never Let Me Down album it was supporting.:)

MadamAdam and mooseman like this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

22. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Although I had the fortune to see the Glass Spider Tour in '87 and The Sound + Vision tour in 1990, I remember feeling like I didn't actually "see" Bowie until the Reality tour in 2003. I recall watching the show from the 12th row at the Paramount in Seattle and thinking "I guess the third time's the charm". I'm so happy to have a nice audience tape of that gig. Rememberances of the '87 and '90 tours have been posted elsewhere here, but in a nutshell I recall Glass Spider just being a bit too over the top and for S+V he was very uninterested at the gig I saw. He made the mistake (IMO) of going from indoor venues of about 18,000 in size to large outdoor areanas on the S+V tour by the time he got to the New York area. Giant's Stadium could hold 70,000 or more and it wasn't close to being full that day. I thought his performance reflected his frustration with the attendance. I DO remember him saying prior to "Ziggy Stardust" "this is the last time you will ever hear me play this song". I'm just glad I got to see him and his fine band on his last tour as those are the shows that will stay with me.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Not really true, the concept of the tour was all his, and actually some of the set pieces harked back as far as 1974 and the Diamond Dogs tour. He was also very positive about the album when it was released, saying a lot of things he later repeated two years later when Tin Machine came out (about it being a return to more guitar based rock, back to basics after losing his way in the 83-86 period etc).
    He put a lot of work into that tour, and what came out of it inspired a lot of people to make their tours more visually spectacular. It was only in retrospect he decided he wasn't that happy with it.

25. ruben lopez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.