R.I.P. Jeff Beck 24 June 1944 – 10 January 2023*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Jan 11, 2023.

1. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

2. endofanera

endofanera Forum Resident

ah Damn it - what terrible news! RIP Jeff

3. matthewp

matthewp chronic procrastinator

Speechless, RIP

4. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I got Wired as a sophomore in high school in 1978. None of my friends were listening to that type of music. Next I got Blow by Blow. Wired and Blow by Blow have been in continuous rotation all these years. MFSL CDs, Analogue Productions SACDs and 45 RPM. Blow by Blow was the first audiophile LP I ever purchased (Master sound). I was a freshman in college, in 1980, and it was $14. I still have that LP.

Wired and Blow by Blow really turned out to be influential gateways to jazz, which is what I mainly listen to nowadays. I also saw Jeff Beck live one time at the Greek theater in Berkeley in the early 80s. It was a fantastic show.

It has been great to see all the tributes to Jeff Beck from other artists on social media. In addition to his great artistry, it sounds like he was a person with many admirers and friends.

All Down The Line, GarretK and dee like this.
  5. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Rest in peace, Mr. Beck.
    Truly the greatest guitarist ever!

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

He is a legend, one of the top 5 Rock guitarists IMO. He could play everything Rock, Blues, Jazz, Funk, Electronic. I enjoy his playing from his different phases: Truth, Blow by Blow, Who Else.

7. squidsdad

squidsdad Forum Resident

8. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

9. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

R.I.P. - another legend gone...:cry:

10. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Just woke up and read the news.... extremely sad and shocking... died from meningitis!

An innovative guitarists, with not only such grace and beauty but also power, one of the all time greats!

He will be sadly missed.

R.I.P

Richard

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The singles from that period too are essential in my book. He was being handled by Mickie Most who wanted Beck to be a huge 'pop' star on his own. The three Columbia 45's from '67 and '68 all have a split personality. The A-sides were the pop fodder that Most wanted but the B-sides are the real Jeff Beck and all of them are great. That being said 'Tallyman' is the only piece of power-pop that Beck ever did and it's one of my alltime favorites. 'Silver Lining' and 'Love Is Blue' are so un-Beck but I like them for that very reason. I can envision after Love Is Blue bombed, Jeff probably said something like "Hey Mickie, how much more of this horses&*t do I have to do for you?"

12. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

13. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Oh wow. That is a loss for rock community. RIP.

14. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

not a young man, but still a shock.
    RIP

a true master

Say it's not true, indeed

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

16. Snakefinger

Snakefinger Forum Resident

Sad to hear. He left the world a lot of great music.

17. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

R.I.P. He was one of the very best....period

18. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

An old acquaintance, through record collecting of course, was good friends with Jeff in the mid-sixties. He had plenty of stories to tell about him guiding Jeff around on shopping trips to L.A.'s old record stores that specialized in blues, R and B and jazz. Some are published so I won't try to repeat them. But what sticks with me is Jeff was really a tremendous gatherer, whether of auto parts or records. He hunted and brought home things that inspired him to share in his music or take out on the road.

19. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

20. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

R.I.P.
    one of the greats

21. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

I haven't read through all the pages yet but my nephew works on the ward he was on and I was told both Page and Clapton had been to see him ( this was last Thursday 5th ) so it was clear something was going on sadly .....

22. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

:cry:

23. dee

dee Senior Member

Very sad news.
    Sorry for him and his family and friends and fans. A creative life well-lived and shared I would say.

All Down The Line and 51IS like this.
  24. Paul Lee

Paul Lee One-eyed cat in a seafood store.

Rest in peace, Jeff.

He was a big fan of rock'n'roll and rockabilly. Particularly very fond of Gene Vincent. His guitar heroes were Cliff Gallop and Scotty Moore.

Another great gone!!:cry:

25. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Very sad, even more so because it seems like something that could have been avoided.
    RIP and thank you for the music Jeff.

Bruso likes this.