R.I.P. Marie Fredriksson (Roxette)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeBon Bush, Dec 10, 2019.

1. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Such a great performer and great voice.
    Roxette was a part of my childhood music education, so many big hits that still sound good after all those years.

RIP

2. darling

darling Senior Member

As well as the Roxette you know and love (where she mostly sang Per Gessle's songs in English), she was a great singer/songwriter in her own right. Don't let the Swedish put you off:

bjr, Ulli, pghmusiclover and 3 others like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh no... this is horrible. RIP.

David Jakubowski and LeBon Bush like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Think I was 16 when I picked up Look Sharp! 88 (on cassette)
    A gal I was dating had a strong influence on what I was buying at the time :laugh:

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I felt no need to buy their music back in the day...…..I think I heard one of their songs about every 15 minutes on the radio. :)

MikaelaArsenault and c-eling like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

7. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Marie had a great voice and a magnetic stage presence. I wasn't a big fan when Roxette was at its height but "Listen To Your Heart" and "Spending My Time" both caught my ear.

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, she never fully recovered from it. The brain tumour left her blind in one eye and unable to read and write anymore. She also had to learn to walk again after her initial treatment. I believe she said the radiotherapy she had caused a lot of her problems.

sunspot42 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Roxette was a great pop group.
    Marie a great singer.
    Man, I'm really sad ... :(

RIP Marie Frederiksson.

10. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Hers was always a somewhat otherworldly voice to me. Very powerful when she was in her full health.

My favourite song by Roxette is "Spending My Time". The way the singers' voices blend together in the second verse always sends shivers down my spine, and the video is like a time capsule of everything great about the early 90s aesthetics.

11. Sad news. They were pretty big in the Netherlands when I was still following what was in the charts (late 80s/early 90s) and I always liked their singles. Her voice was always a big part of the band's sound.

David Jakubowski likes this.
  12. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Been playing her pre-Roxette solo albums ever since I got back home from work. "Mot Okända Hav" just came on and I'm losing it... :(

LeBon Bush and David Jakubowski like this.
  13. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

How sad. Some great songs.

14. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

My sister (who was a great fan of Roxette in her teens and tweens) went to see the band two years ago (maybe three) during their last tour. Marie was very ill at that time, but she still was fabulous. I'm sure my sister is a little bit sad today...

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

She hadn’t done anything in a few years.

16. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Great album title LOL

she had an amazing singing voice, hard to believe it was 30 years ago when they had their hits

17. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident

Her voice helped define 80s-90s pop, and she seemed like a really good person. Not to mention tough -- overcoming brain cancer after doctors gave her an 80% chance of not surviving and staying active in the music industry for years after that, touring even when she couldn't stand on stage. It sounds like the lasting effects of the harsh cancer treatments were finally too much. She will be greatly missed.

18. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Very sad news although not completely unexpected. It's weird sometimes,on Sunday I ordered my first Roxette CD since I bought the Don't Bore Us - Get To The Chorus! comp in the mid 90s. Arrived just today. Their string of hit singles in the late 80s and 90s was quite amazing.
    Farewell,Marie Fredriksson.

19. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

RIP, Marie. So many wonderful songs and a great voice for that kind of pop melancholy that Scandinavians are so good at.

20. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

A unique and powerful voice in the annals of rock and roll. RIP

21. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I bought THE LOOK on cassette in 1989 i think ... those songs are part of my youth.

22. ChrisInKansas

ChrisInKansas Forum Resident

Awful. 61 is far far too young to die. Look Sharp and Joyride are two of my favorite albums ever, but Room Service is also packed full of great super-catchy pop songs and is overlooked.

23. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s even more awful when you consider she’s been ill since she was first diagnosed at 44 in 2002.

24. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

dang, I see her videos on Stingray retro like everyday!

She was hot too.

25. Pierre Pelletier

Pierre Pelletier Forum Resident