R.I.P. Marie Fredriksson (Roxette)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeBon Bush, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love Thread Starter

Chiming in again. Roxette have been on the radio here all afternoon and evening until now. Great to see how many here on the forum have some positive memories connected to their music :)

3. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Charlize Theron has become a stunning woman now that she is in her mid-forties.

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The russian Facebook is overflowing with Marie Fredriksson tributes. Roxette was incredibly popular here, seems like everyone has their own memory or beloved Roxette song. When I saw them live maybe 1o years ago in Moscow the whole 20 000 plus packed arena was crazy supporting Marie. I have rarely witnessed such love and support from such a huge crowd.

andy75, Pouchkine, LarsO and 4 others like this.
  5. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Sad news.

I really enjoyed listening to Roxette back and in the day, and their music always cheers me up. Hey, a song like “Almost Unreal” from Super Mario Bros. is just good as the rest of their hits. Love her voice and they were a respectable duo. It’s rather unfortunate news.

David Jakubowski likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

She struggled for years, so it's a testament to her strength that she got to 61. While I don't like Roxette she had a great voice and I think she was more affecting in the Swedish language.

andy75, Purple, LarsO and 4 others like this.
  7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I saw them about 3 summers ago. I would regard that as recent enough.

8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Marie Fredriksson had quite a range - not only could she belt out the Roxette hits, but she could also perform tender versions of Evert Taube songs. A great, great lady. She will be missed.

edvj, DTK, David Jakubowski and 2 others like this.
  9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Very sad news. I had already followed any news regarding Roxette in the last couple years but still can't believe this. I had thought that she would be totally recovered from that terrible tumor when the news headlines had her name mentioned.
    Marie had great voice added with Per Gessle's melodic and catchy songs made Roxette fresh and unique. I always loved them and they have place in my heart. I think they made some really lasting and awesome pop/rock songs (with international vibes) then in Sweden, which we here in Finland don't get usually get right (as we don't have any band similar to Roxette and on that level of worldwide popularity).
    Roxette was important back then as it was part of the childhood and growing up, it was played a lot in the radio and I think everyone liked them, while we grew up it was anyways important to listen to any good music (even if it was outside of your so called safe-zone).
    Back in those days, while me and my friends were so keen on discovering the past and current hard rock, heavy metal, alternative etc stuff I always kept Roxette still around. Today whenever I hear Roxette it takes me back to those days..
    RIP Marie Fredriksson.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  10. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Sad news. RIP :shake:

Vila i frid Marie.

edvj, longdist01 and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The image won’t show up.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P.

14. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening through my entire (though incomplete) Roxette collection today in memory of Marie Fredriksson.

15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

R.I.P.

17. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Wow, surprised and sad. I was never a big Roxette fan per se, I think I eventually got a "best of" or hits cd at some point, but I was always intrigued by their videos at the height of the MTV video age, kind of a guilty pleasure. She had a great voice, and was a very sexy performer, not the usual "look" I was normally attracted to, but she had a very alluring presence.

David Jakubowski likes this.
  18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I have been to well more than 100 concerts in the past 40 years. No band ever had more guitarists on stage at once than Roxette, with six.

Purple likes this.
  19. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Really, lol? I never would consider them a "guitar band", more closer to synth/dance pop.

20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I love that song like crazy. Seems like their other hits from the late 80's/early 90's are much more likely to get played nowadays, but for me Fading Like a Flower towers above as their greatest hit. The bridge around 2:25 is absolutely gorgeous.

R.I.P.

21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

While I don’t understand a word of Swedish, her solo albums were excellent! It was a treat to hear that powerful voice without having to sit through Per (who I just tolerate to get to Marie!). I don’t think she ever recorded a solo album in English, did she?

R.I.P. Marie...

andy75 and Jarleboy like this.
  22. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Classy lady, wonderful voice - and their songs were pure pop gold! Wow, I'm just rediscovering all their many lovely tracks that I heard so often (if not often enough) in my 20's. And that from a 60'/70's guitar hero nut. :righton:

23. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

It's my favourite, too — there are moments where it just soars. Of course, I love 'Listen To Your Heart' and 'Fading Like A Flower' almost as much and I have a real soft spot for 'Almost Unreal'.

Roxette are ripe for re-discovery, I reckon. They had hit after hit after hit, but their legacy hasn't really lasted like I thought it would. Poor Marie, sick for so many years. Just terrible.

24. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I saw Roxette in Vancouver on Valentine's Day for their Joyride release and it was a terrific show. I loved the Look Sharp album which made them - but some of you may not know their previous album which I find to be equally catchy and almost always entirely forgotten.

The Album which was occasionally very difficult to find is called Pearls of Passion.

This album had a bunch of pretty terrific pop tracks like Soul Deep, Secrets that She Keeps, Neverending Love, Call of the Wild.

In fact Pearls of Passion may be my favorite album from them - as a complete album!

[​IMG]

I mean their completely unknown pop songs like this one is better than 98% of the trash that is on the airwaves these days.

Thorpy, bjr and David Jakubowski like this.
  25. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Almost forgot So Far Away which was the big ballad from Pearls of Passion

bjr and David Jakubowski like this.