R.I.P. Marie Fredriksson (Roxette)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeBon Bush, Dec 10, 2019.

1. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

I just heard about this and now I’m really bummed out. One of my favorites. Yes, I discovered Roxette because of “Look Sharp” but I stuck with them for the long haul. A lot of people praise them for that album and “Joyride” but I feel “Crash Boom Bang” was their greatest work. “Room Service” is also a favorite. Still play their records all the time.
    R.I.P

2. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Yes. Yes, it is.

Most people gravitate towards the earlier stuff (because that's when they had their big hits?), but my own tastes lead me towards this album and "Room Service" with their electropop leanings.

3. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

Though hard to choose, I think this is my favorite Roxette song:

(I believe the video caused quite some controversy when it was first released?)

Rest in peace, Marie!

4. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I have always adored Marie's first three solo albums, "Het Vind" (Hot Wind), "Den Sjunde Vågen" (The Seventh Wave) and "... Efter Stormen" (After The Storm). Those three are as good as it gets in my opinion. They are very comforting in these dark times. Miss you Marie!

5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

She was a talented singer when she was in her prime. Roxette went out of fashion for some years. When they were ready for a true comeback, Marie was sick. But I love the early stuff on Look Sharp and Joyride. I don’t know her solo stuff good enough. Will take a listen.

6. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

The early albums are fantastic pop albums. By her 4th record she changed. Even though I like it all, the first three are the ones that really speaks to me. Since you are Danisch, I think you will be able to enjoy the great songwriting on her Swedish albums !

MHP likes this.
  7. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

This still gets to me... :cry:

I live, literally, a stone's throw from where she grew up and went to school. We're extremely proud of her accomplishments even before she hit international fame with Per. Her early solo albums are exceptionally well crafted and well worth seeking out, especially for Scandinavians as a whole.

andy75, shaboo, Pianoman99 and 3 others like this.
  8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Just read this found out about her passing.
    Rest easy Marie.

9. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

1 year ago today, we lost Marie Fredriksson.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  10. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

11. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Her 2004 solo album "The Change" is in the English language. Hope you'll like it!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

13. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

To celebrate Marie’s upcoming 63rd birthday, a new track, “Stay”, originally recorded in 1999 and recently finished, has been released: Marie Fredriksson - Stay

14. Binni

Binni Forum Resident