Rack or furniture in between speakers , suggestions please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone?, Jan 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

I want to get rid of this big bulky TV furniture in between my speakers.
    I want to put my stereo gear on and tv on top.
    any suggestions ?

I looked at some audio racks such and Monolih and Pangea and about to settle on one of those but wanted to see if anyone has a better idea. My budget is around $400.
    Ultimately I’m looking for something around 30” in width and about 30” tall.
    also I would like it to look nice as aesthetics are important to me.
    speakers are 5.1 feet apart. I can’t put them further apart because of space restrictions.
    to be honest most rack stuff is kinda ugly but Most TV furniture is way too wide.
    my tv is only 36lbs btw.

Purpose is to look good and not have so much mass in between the speakers as to degrade the sound.

Thanks!

Pic of my tv furniture

BFD88316-7205-4FCF-A66E-2FCB82FF8743

2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow those seem to be very nice speakers and the unit isn't ugly ... I don't know if 'mass' has anything to do with sound effects ... maybe (if you can, but I know ...) pulling the speakers out 1' or so would result in better sound? plus there would seem to be less 'reflection' off the stand/TV.

I have a TV stand and rack, the stand is centered between my speakers. I was thinking about getting a 4' x 4' panel to set on the stand/shelf in front of the TV while listening to stereo, to absorb sound that would reflect off the TV. Of course remove it while watching TV! Don't know if something like that could work for you. I can't really help on suggesting a new rack or whatever.

Maybe some panels on the wall behind the speakers ... that's my plan anyway, put some 2' x 2' panels on the wall flanking my TV, with the 4' x 4' panel in front of it (and my Yamaha DSP Soundbar). The TV + Soundbar height (and width of both) is 4', so perfect. I think the couch against the wall is just fine, this is recommended by Joachim Gerhard (Audio Physic), as reflections off the wall behind your head aren't heard as separate sounds, so no degradation. Also you're in a bass node so it enhances the bass ...

Audio Physic Virgo loudspeaker Page 3

I know, you didn't ask for this ... :D

and here's a pic to illustrate my setup ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Starwanderer likes this.
  3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Another route is a cabinet. [​IMG]

Tone? likes this.
  4. Tone?

hahahahaha.
    Gold

5. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

The large furniture plus the wall is affecting the sound from your speakers. Speakers need breathing room around them, the bass, imaging, and soundstage are being influenced by your setup.

You are right to install an open audio rack between the speakers. One question, will the Pangea and Monolith be able to support the very large flatscreen? These are lightweight stands.

Have you checked Wayfair for audio racks? (Don't get glass shelves).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    david1111 and Rick58 like this.
  6. Tone?

I called Cruchfield for the Pangea and they said it will hold my TV which is only 36lbs

Rick58 likes this.
  7. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I always thought you couldn't pull speakers out far enough. Especially planars.

But this morning I read this post. Some good info in the video link.

Acoustic Panel Placement: Do You Need An Air Gap Behind Your Panels?

8. putz

putz Forum Resident

Wall mount the TV.

The coffee table right in front of you isn't helping either.

Moving speakers forward should at least be tried. Can always move them back.

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

VERY interesting, I need to watch the video (skimmed thru the PDF paper, saved, thanks!).

Edit/PS: OK I watched the video! makes sense to me as I'm an optical engineer, the 1/4 wave stuff is very much like light interacting with optical coatings ... so now ... need to look into the 'steps' he discusses ... :) and see if they make sense to me. OR, as some have suggested, I need to totally rearrange my setup !!! Likely NOT going to do that ... :) It's not symmetrical, open area/space behind LH speaker, I'm HOPING I can 'get away with' treating the walls etc. behind the speakers (and maybe behind me with absorption and/or diffusion and/or a combo), the TV as I said, and as well as the wall(s) and corner next to the RH speaker.

PPS: As I've stated in other threads, this room as is sounds VERY GOOD to me! There's NO inherent imbalance in the soundstage, I don't hear weird stuff from the RH and not the LH or vice versa, etc.. I'm just curious what it would sound like with some judicious application of not too many panels.

doctor fuse likes this.
  10. doctor fuse

Can you post your thoughts as you look into it? I'm curious what you come up with.

I recently got some [hugly-ish] acoustic panels, and have placed them behind and to the side of my planar speakers. Funnily enough, I have them about 12" in front of the 3" panels. I have been fretting about them being TOO CLOSE, but now I am thinking I want to try them closer (difficult, because of the design of these planars).

Rick58 likes this.
  11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Sure! I’m more than happy to offer my opinion when I get one! :)

Hopefully the planar speaker manufacturers have some rules or suggestions about setting up their speakers in a room. I have not attempted to do that or used planar, dipole, or other than regular old speakers.

I would think there might be different methods and suggestions whether the speakers are curved, dipole, not sure if all planar speakers are dipole I assume they are? Anyway, lots of variables involved. I’m sure there are suggestions but probably trial and error is also part of the setup.

PS/Edit ... was trying to find info on your speakers ... Planar Speaker Asylum

VERY interesting! I can’t stay up any longer but will try to look into all this and help if I can. Seems like there’s at least a few other similar speakers, can’t think of names at the moment. Didn’t know there was an asylum for planar speakers but it’s not surprising. I am a member there too and frequently read five or six of the forums.

doctor fuse likes this.
  12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

PPS: Eminent Technologies is who I was trying to think of. I don’t know if the guy behind those speakers is still alive or in business? Maybe he can actually help you? Didn’t seem like the asylum folks were very much help.

I was really intrigued with the eminent technology speakers and especially their amazing subwoofer, infrasonic subwoofer that is.

doctor fuse likes this.
  13. doctor fuse

Thanks, Rick!

My speakers are custom built, so no info except from the octogenarian gentleman who made them.

Go get your beauty rest!

Rick58 likes this.
  14. Tone?

That’s an old picture. My speakers are much more forward now. They are almost clear of the tv console.
    However the tv console still a bit wider than I would like. It just feels cramped since the speakers are just two inches away from the console.

I am also looking at options such as this.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...s-up-to-55-dark-brown/5707060.p?skuId=5707060

Rick58 likes this.
  15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

StandsandMounts.com has a huge variety of racks in many finishes at very reasonable prices, definitely worth checking out.

I have the Pangea Vulcan in Rosenut in one system. It’s very attractive and easy to put together. They now sell a sturdier version with cross bracing if you feel you need it.

Tone? likes this.
  16. Tone?

do you have a tv on top of it?

17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

No I don’t. If I were to Put a TV on top I would use the X-Brace units. StandsandMounts.com has lots of wide rack choices which I think would be much better with a TV on top as you won’t need to go so high.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  18. Tone?

19. harby

harby Forum Resident

Ikea, $50?

[​IMG]

Tone? likes this.
  20. Tone?

ha no

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Black racks and shelving in front of a white or beige wall? How can you look at that every day. I would be spoiling to cover that back wall with flat black paint or reflection-deadening fabric. But whatever I do, I want to remember, ergonomics first. Setting it all up won't be the last time you'll want to get back there...let alone, vacuum or dust.

Getting your speakers out front a bit always helps the soundstage, however you can. But the thing I like about cabinetry is, taming the reflective surface of a screen is easier (you have a place to mount foam-whatever, inconspicuously), so I like cabinetry more than a flat screen covering the same flat wall space.

head_unit and Sterling1 like this.
  22. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Put a heavy blanket over the TV while playing music to tame the reflection

23. JM1911

JM1911 Well-Known Member

Build your own, I did. I used butcher block and iron pipe for an industrial look. It is solid, rock solid. Mine weighs about 70 pounds. You can make it to any height and space between shelves you want by using different length iron pipes. Its actually quite simple. I bought the slabs of butcher block, did a little sanding on them and finished them with 4 coats of hand rubbed danish oil. All you need is a hole saw to drill for the iron pipe to go through.
    https://i.imgur.com/LxMZoXT.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/18MclnT.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/9J1lyGJ.jpg

24. Tone?

2channelforever, Eurofan and Rick58 like this.
  25. david1111

david1111 Barba non facit philosophum

Can you wall mount the TV and move the gear rack to the wall on the right? If you clear the space between the speakers, the soundstage will open up, and everything should sound better.
    Just use longer ICs or speaker cables.
    Oh crap, I just realized that the cables would have to go across the door.
    Hmmm ... I don't know now, but it's usually best to have nothing between your speakers if at all possible.

Tone? likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.