Radio...SUCKS!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Good radio is still out there to both listen to and enjoy.

One must just take some time to find it, mustn't one... hmmm?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  2. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

The only time I listen to radio at home these days, is Radio X sat in the garden on a nice sunny day.

But their Britpop/indie playlist is very narrow and gets a bit tiresome. As does news and adverts.

99% of the time, I choose what I want to listen to. Much more satisfying, I find.

3. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

can never listen to the radio anymore. I just want to hear some music yet the presenters insist on prattling on about pointless bloody things. I couldnt get Spotify working in the car a few weeks ago so put the radio on and the presenter was rattling on for 7 or 8 minutes about her weekend and what roses she planted and "oh its such a lovely grower". Id understand if it was talk radio but this was a supposed music station, i want to hear some music not that boring rubbish. Turned it off and drive along in silence instead.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have an extensive collection too. Over 4,000 records, cds and files.

Billy Infinity and Rock66 like this.
  5. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

By playing Limp Bizkit I get no satisfaction.

6. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Mainstream radio always has been awful.

Vaughan likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

When I think back to the days when radio was relevant to me, there was only two things worth listening to - Radio Caroline, and John Peel. Beyond that, yeah - radio pretty much sucked for music.

I love it for talk radio though.

ShockOfDaylight likes this.
  8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I pretty much stopped listening to radio in 1976.

9. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

ARK likes this.
  10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I see it’s not available in North America. Too bad ‘cause it seems like a great system to use

lordcat likes this.
  11. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Absolutely, Peel! There used to be some special DJ’s and various shows I enjoyed here and there.
    It’s just depressing the stuff that seems to float to the top for mainstream music consumption.

12. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I haven't heard radio since the 90s. And back then I only used radio to tape crime radio plays and science fiction radio plays...."Science Fiction als Radiospiel aus dem Studio Heidelberg des Süddeutschen Rundfunks" :))
    Started recording them when I was 14 or 15 so in 1985/1986 and still have thousands of them.

Vaughan likes this.
  13. Bodhi1

Bodhi1 Active Member

I like Dab+ radio as we have quite a good variety of Dab stations in Australian capital cities & a decent bit rate. Though to me Internet radio is where it's at as there is a huge variety of stations, incl: audiophile grade ones. What frustrates me as an audiophile is that Accuphase are stuck in the past with their FM-only tuners. They need to release a Dab+ radio with Internet radio, then I would be onboard. That said, the Accuphase T-1200 is probably the best FM tuner in the world currently, especially when connected dac out a high end dac.

14. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Radio: R.I.P.

15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I listen to Jazz Classics with H Johnson on WABE on Saturdays, that’s about it.

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I find and hear on the radio new and exciting different music -- new, and new to me -- that I've never heard before that I want to listen to more on a weekly basis, there are radio stations like WKCR in NYC and Symphony Hall on SiriusXM with scheduled programming like Bird Flight on the former of Baroque and Beyond on the latter, that I routinely tune in to. I keep a little pen and piece of paper in my car to jot down notes because I'm always discovering something new on the radio I want to remember. I grew up loving and discoveirng music on the radio 50 years ago and that really hasn't changed.

17. 16hz lover

16hz lover Forum Resident

Nothing will change in my lifetime on the radio. Same music hits from the 70's, filled with commercials, public radio "Begathons". I am surprised that AM radio still exists.

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Luckily my area has a community station and a college station. It's not all bad. I don't bother with the rest so I wouldn't really know.

19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Chicago area has WDCB and WFMT so I'm good.

20. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

I think radio is the most interesting and fascinating medium out there. Sound on waves traveling forever across the universe. If only I could catch up with a Florence Mills broadcast from 1924!

As for content - people using something beautiful and amazing for a garbage dump - that problem does not pertain only to radio.

21. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Its 2021.... radio has been "dead" for 20+ years now... Where have you been?

22. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Actually, radio is great!

It's just that with so much endless music here on my shelves and/or available elsewhere for immediate enjoyment and exploration, there is simply no time to play around with a radio. :p

In other words, I'm too busy enjoying music to listen to the radio. :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Rock66 likes this.
  23. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

In the last several years I learned from college or community radio, even adult contemporary:

African rock of the 1970s - endless rabbit hole, from college radio

Tons of Grateful Dead live shows to follow up on

Japanese rock

All kinds of jazz, reggae, bluegrass, anything. A good community radio host can be like a professor.

Support Community Radio!

24. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I used to feel that way. Especially about the sorry excuse for a "classic rock" FM station in my town.

Two and a half years ago, I bought a used car that was Sirius XM ready and about three months after I bought it I was offered a three month free listen in the mail.

I bit and have never looked back...

25. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Radio:

Limited, repetitive playlists
    Music curated by corporate overlords
    Advertisements
    Obnoxious radio hosts

What’s not to like? ;)

no.nine and Rock66 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.