Radio...SUCKS!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

College/University radio stations can be a worthwhile option.

ARK and citizensmurf like this.
  2. themusicman2000

themusicman2000 Forum Resident

I have no idea if your comment was a nod to your avatar or just pure coincidence, but whatever it was meant to be, I love it.

3. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

Me too. I started building my collection in earnest when CDs came on the market (but I did have over 100 LPs already.) Now I also have over 4000 CDs (If you break the classical boxes up into CDs over 5000). My 2019 Genesis has both a DVD player and a USB port. Key equipment.

4. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Spotify has replaced radio for me around the house. For those that say the artists make little to no from them my use has led to several purchases. I can listen and decide to buy or not and they get a few pennies from untold thousands of listeners that may not hear it otherwise. It's not all bad.

5. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

One of the reasons streaming and I tunes caught on is Commercial radio has been just commercials and computerized programming for a long time. Luckily local radio has been around and thrives. Where I live there are amazing programmers who have been doing it for more than forty years weekly. Many many KFAT type shows thriving right now. Listener supported.

So commercial radio killed itself but local programming is alive and well all over the USA.

As an aside I listened to a cool music podcast where Henry Rollins did a show like all my local shows. Great. But he kept saying no one has ever done this before. Like he was the first one ever. I kept thinking dude I heard you on KUSF in the 80s as a guest and you probably were a guest on many local and college stations that did an do exactly what you are doing. Henry was a little disconnected there. Made me laugh

If you are on the web there is an app with all the radio stations including cool locals all over the world. Ya just click and Australia’s country music do is there. It’s fun. Radio lives

6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Dunno about that, I head Walk On The Wild Side on Arabella this morning....

And in other news BBC6 Music is a fantastic station.

DeadParrot likes this.
  7. JayB

JayB Senior Member

People still listen to the radio for music?

With all the music I have and want to listen to I hardly ever bother to turn on the radio with the hope that there may be something I want to hear.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  8. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

I haven't listed to radio at home in probably 40 years. The only radio I have listened to since then has been in my car, and that's only local news stations when on a road trip to listen to traffic reports.

Music wise, the last I listened to radio was in my car about 10 years ago on a road trip to San Francisco. I happened to come upon a station that played old blues music and it was glorious.

9. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I listen to just 2 stations nowadays, 1 classic rock and 1 classical. Both with headphones on, so I can go back in time and recall old days. I like the randomness of the tracks selected, a lot of which aren't in my collection.

ARK likes this.
  10. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

In my area there are actually a few really good radio stations. They play a ton of different things and no hits.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  11. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

This. A friend of mine hosts a show on local community radio and made me discover new stuff on more than one occasion. His fellow hosts, too. Even though I'm not really much of a radio listener myself, I would by no means claim that the medium sucks or has been dead for decades. With community and web radio being a thing for a long time now, I think it's as vital as ever, maybe even more so. The treasures just need to be found.

speedracer likes this.
  12. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Radio is critical communications infrastructure. It is simple, durable technology - it would be a shame to have the web fail and not have radio - local community radio is a lifeline.

When sailng on the Titanic don't throw away the lifeboats because they seem useless.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    ARK and LeBon Bush like this.
  13. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I'm the very same.

I've often said that I already would need three more lifetimes just to explore and savor all the music I have. Or everything Spotify has. Let alone anything the radio might provide.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I have a handful of "go-to" stations if I want to hear music radio--mostly:

* WBGO (PBS station based in Newark NJ that plays jazz),
    * WSOU (Seton Hall college radio, based in South Orange, NJ, plays a lot of metal and some other specialty genre stuff),
    * WFMU (an indie "freeform" station from East Orange, NJ, particularly plays a lot of indie pop-rock/post-punk, etc. oriented stuff)

---all three of the above can be listened to online for free---

Plus a handful of Sirius/XM stations that I listen to occasionally, including the Grateful Dead channel, of course.

Aside from the above (and a few others in that vein I used to listen to when I was living in South Florida, for example), I haven't bothered with "normal" commercial radio stations since the early 80s.

I also listen to a fair amount of sports talk (WFAN in NYC mostly), I still listen to Howard Stern, occasionally I'll listen to a bit of NPR, occasionally I'll listen to 1010 WINS news radio (in NYC), and occasionally I'll listen to stand-up comedy channels on Sirius/XM.

ARK and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  15. Isolar801

Isolar801 Forum Resident

WYEP Pittsburgh The only station I listen to....since the late 70's.

16. Radio in big cities tends to be better.

17. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

I work in radio too. This is spot on. Instant familiarity is what every PD will tell you.

18. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I stopped listening to terrestrial radio when Howard Stern went to Sirius.

I subscribe to SiriusXM for Stern, political talk radio POTUS station and sports. I get my GB Packer games for football and NY Yankee broadcasts for baseball. My wife is from L.A. and gets her L.A. music station so she is happy.

For music there are choices for everyone including dedicated station for Elvis and bands like the Grateful Dead, Springsteen, Pearl Jam etc.

Pretty good deal IMHO but YMMV.

19. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

Why not? Why wouldn't you?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Here we go again ...

Billy Infinity and ARK like this.
  21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

In major metro areas, often times a jazz station can be found at the far left of the dial.

Tullman and blind_melon1 like this.
  22. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Heh, the only radio I listen to these days is ‘News Radio.’

Commercial Radio these days is brain damage. Both for the music and the hosts.

23. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

About five years ago, one of my students came up to me and stated that she wanted to pursue a career in radio. I replied, “why not become a steamship captain?”

Tim Lookingbill and Earscape like this.
  24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

The solution I came up with is quite good. I bought a Sangean HD component tuner for my home stereo. I tried network streaming but as a stereo component, it sucked, way too involved with just trying to find a channel. The HD tuner works just like any classic tuner, it tunes in the base station, an if the station is broadcasting sub channels I have easy access to them.
    Up hear in the Seattle area I listen to my NPR station KNKX, which is at 88.5. But when I get tired of the political side of npr I hit the UP tuning button and WHA LA.........I’m on their JAZZ24 stream, in HD, no commercials, just Jazz Jazz Jazz.

So their are plenty of HD stations that broadcast some cool sub channels, like one of the “New Country” stations up here, even though I don’t like Country unless it’s Hank SR. Or the Stones doing it, their sub channel 2 broadcasts classic country, I mean Hank, Jones, Parton, Willis, all those old twangy dudes. But my point is this, for the home, this has really saved my sanity. I know the HD thing was over run by streaming, but it’s there and it works perfectly for me.
    And if I ever do need to Stream something off the net, I do it with my iPad with the headphones output going into my pre amp’s “Aux”.
    Clean and easy. Without having to relearn everything.
    Just the beavers 2 centavos!
    Beave

25. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.