Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. ctgregory

ctgregory Forum Resident

In the meanwhile, I think I'll have to check out some of the solo work by Philip Selway and Jonny Greenwood.

I love Thom's Eraser album and enjoyed Amok. Any thoughts on the other members solo work?

2. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Probably, but one never knows where they'll take things. This album's been a long time coming, so I'm hoping that whatever it is it's been thought through and developed (rather than the gap being the result of a lack of inspiration).

3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i dont respect them after ok computer.... kid a and amnesiac are their downfall to me.

thom yorke assassinated johnny greenwood's guitar.

Carserguev likes this.
  4. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Well, I have Philip Selway's "Familial" and it is a very different kettle of fish from Thom's work. It is a very "intimate" (close-miked?) sounding, mostly-acoustic, singer-songwriter album. While there is a little bit of backing instrumentation, it is very much in the background. There is hardly any drumming. Mostly just soft voice and acoustic guitar. I don't think of Radiohead when listen to it.

It is a very relaxing and involving album and I like it very much, when I'm in that sort of mood. I'm trying to think of a similar comparison, but can't at the moment (sorry).

ctgregory and dadonred like this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You almost have that right except if Atari Game Sounds with blips & beeps, they will have to pay me $100 to listen to it. Now if they make another album as great as 'OK Computer', I would pay $25 just for the CD.

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Exactly. How did you take the guitar out of the hands of such a talented player? And then have him plug in cords into some contraption? During Kid A, they said JG only read half of the Manuel for that device, and someone said, "for the love of god, someone take that Manuel from him before he reads the rest of it".

Although, to be fair there were about 3 really good songs on both 'Kid A' & 'Amnesiac', but the title track to 'Kid A'-WTF is that crap?

At least they gave us one more great guitar song, '2+2=5', and 'There, There' and the B-Side, 'Down is the New Up' were brilliant. 'Separator" was also great, but the rest of KOL sucked outside of the decent songs, 'Little by Little' and the b-side, 'The Daily Mail'. I guess for all of the KOL lovers, :hide:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Carserguev and pinkrudy like this.
  7. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Mr Greenwood doesn't seem to see it that way....

Merrick, Jim B., drasil and 6 others like this.
  8. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Sorry to be getting back on topic...

Wrote about this on another thread that I can't find right now, but a month ago I met at a party a musician who has worked with Nigel Godrich, and he told me that Nigel thinks that the new Radiohead album is "a bit of a masterpiece".

So, maybe we have something to be looking forward to. :D

jamesc, Joe Spivey, JeffMo and 3 others like this.
  9. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

The Bends and OK Computer are classics, with OK being desert island material.

dadonred likes this.
  10. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Please don't be BSing!

crispi likes this.
  11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Anyone can play synthesizer

Six Bachelors, EVOLVIST and gregorya like this.
  12. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Ah yes, the "Dylan goes electric" fallout equivalent of the early 21st century.

I maintain that *The Bends --> OK Computer --> Kid A* is one of the greatest 3 album runs in terms of quality and artistic evolution.

The King of Limbs is not my favorite (though "Lotus Flower" was a great single) but they've built up enough good will that I will always give their new stuff a fair shake.

13. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Pretty much. :sigh:

crispi likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The rockism is thick in this thread.

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Though I'm less a fan of The Bends, I agree with you that this evolutionary arc is what sets the band apart from their peers and I commend Radiohead for having the guts to ditch the guitars for a while and reinvent their sound. The fact that it was so controversial--with some continuing to grouse about it to this day--only underscores how pivotal their move was.

Merrick, Jim B., oneway23 and 3 others like this.
  16. crispi

I'm not. This was mid February, and if I recall correctly, he also mentioned that the album was in the mastering stage.

17. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

People would lose their minds over your fourth-hand information, you know? :)

crispi likes this.
  18. crispi

"Third-hand", please :D

whisper3978 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I can't. But then I'm not Anyone....

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That's pretty hilarious.

SuntoryTime, Tristero and ARK like this.
  21. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

In keeping with their innovative release strategies on the past couple of albums, I have it from CSS* that the new album will show up on the iPods of Bono and the Edge without their consent... honest...

:)

* (Completely Sketchy Sources)

davesmoked and EVOLVIST like this.
  22. bluej

bluej Senior Member

Big fan of Phil's solo stuff, haven't heard much of Jonny's though.

Simon

ctgregory likes this.
  23. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

johnny was always very modest....he was told various times during ok computer era that he was a genius and he would always say that he sucked.

we were robbed of another guitar hero.

Carserguev likes this.
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Johnny Greenwood is no more married to the guitar than Thom Yorke is. He's not being forced not to play.

Marry a Carrot, Tristero and ARK like this.
  25. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would assume that Yorke or any other member of the band "forced" Jonny to put the guitar down. It's pretty obvious that he's a vintage synth enthusiast.

cnolanh, Merrick, SuntoryTime and 4 others like this.