Radiohead's drastic change in 1999-2000?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Safe to say that Kid A/Amnesiac comes off as IDM with horns and de-tuned pianos? I read that Ed & Jonny were not initially on board with this change in direction, but they swallowed their objections and got to the other side of it in the end.

Crimson jon likes this.
  2. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Well, would Kid A have been a one-off and they would have returned to what they were before that, Radiohead might be considered relevant still today.
    IMO they did the same self-conscious commercial suicide as Pearl Jam did when they released "No Code".
    Currently spinning "The Bends" and realize how much I miss the band that released that & O.K. Computer, but nothing lasts forever. At least we got those 2.

3. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I'm all for adventurous Radiohead. The Bends bores the crap out of me.

4. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

I understand if Kid A and Amnesiac aren't your thing, but I think it's foolish to say those two albums are the start of some spiral into irrelevancy. They haven't done anything in 3 years and I'd say they're still one of the most relevant "rock" bands out there these days, whatever that may mean to someone.

Kid A is my favorite Radiohead album, but I do agree that Bends and OKC are top tier material. I even thought AMSP was dreadfully overrated by fans and critics alike. It bored me to tears.

MikeManaic61, nasa09, bopdd and 22 others like this.
  5. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

I think Kid A to In Rainbows were all great albums. Their latest two offerings not so much. It would be nice if they went full circle back to writing indie songs again though.

6. M2225

That's the great part about this particular little orchestra. They decided to morph in 2000 into something else.

Major parts I miss about traditional Radiohead vs what you call "adventurous Radiohead"
    - Thom Yorke has a fantastic vocal range & voice + melody writing capabilities, most of that is lost in a wilderness of blip.blop stuff & whining
    - The Bends & O.K. Computer consist of a set of superbly crafted tracks that sound "ordinary" at first but if you listen beneath that you realize the complex arrangements
    - Johnny Greenwood used to play superb guitar, whatever he does on Kid A & post that beats me, no guitar can be heard. Maybe he toys with fun boxes that makes fun noises?

lightbulb, smoke, gja586 and 9 others like this.
  7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed. Whatever one might think about their change in direction, Radiohead has endured arguably more than any of their other original peers. In fact, I would argue that their willingness to shift gears helped to keep them fresh heading into the 2000s, even if they're no longer breaking down barriers at this later stage of their career.

I'm only a moderate Radiohead fan, but I regard OK Computer and Kid A as their creative peak. I lost interest after In Rainbows, but I never lost respect for them. Sometimes bands/artists go off in a different direction that isn't satisfying to all of their old fans. We can either accept what we're given or we can move on to something else that interests us more, but there's little point in bemoaning it. (No doubt, our old friend rjp will be along presently to complain about how Radiohead became the Thom Yorke band after OK Computer, trading their guitars in for samplers.)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    bopdd, gja586, punkmusick and 8 others like this.
  8. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

If you can't hear any vocal melodies or guitar post-OK, then you have not been listening. Even King of Limbs has those things, even though I am not a fan of that one.

9. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

My favorite Radiohead albums by far.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

They aren't? There's still a lot of demand for them and buzz whenever they put new music out.

11. M2225

I agree, King Of Limbs was probably at the same time their most anticipated release, and the biggest letdown of their career. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to like that album.

pexie and TexasBuck like this.
  12. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Amen.

Thank God for Coldplay. It's where all we Bends and Computer fans went when Raidiohead went all 'art'.

13. M2225

Correct, Radiohead are today relevant to those who consider their 2000- post output as their best. Myself bought physical CD's (remember them?) in mid 90-s and at least I was on board for what they were doing then. I will never criticize them for the great long-spanning career they have. They probably made the right decision at that time but can we agree that pre/post 2000 they are basically different bands?

seed_drill likes this.
  14. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Even Coldplay have strayed away from that 'The Bends' type of music and few albums back now though.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  15. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Thank god for Coldplay. Words I never thought I would read when discussing Radiohead. Kid A and No Code my favorite albums by Radiohead and Pearl Jam respectively. Love the first two but The Bends and OK Computer were clearly leading to Kid A, all the steps were there to see. Wasn't that big of a departure, King of Limbs on the other hand.

nasa09, Grow Fins, Old Rusty and 20 others like this.
  16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

really? Coldplay are almost as bad as Maroon 5 in terms of selling their soul to the lowest common demoninator pop music.

Coldplay were once a respectable band but that pretty much all went out the door around the time the 2000s became the 2010s. They lost all credibility and became a whipping band. Radiohead is Peter Gabriel, Coldplay is Phil Collins.

MikeManaic61, nasa09, Buda and 33 others like this.
  17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I don't even know where to begin.

First, I don't want any band I love to put commercial success over their artistic vision. Even if I don't like their vision, I value authenticity over everything else. How boring it would be if artists went the safe route every time.

Ironically, Kid A and No Code are my favorite albums by both respective bands.

Secondly, commercial suicide? Radiohead and Pearl Jam? Really? Think about that for a second. They have arguably the two most faithful and rabid fanbases in all of modern rock. They would both instantly sell out worldwide arena tours today. I have no idea where you get the idea that Radiohead aren't relevant today. Check their Reddit subscription count even if you want social media proof. It rivals Kanye's following.

18. M2225

Well, I don't think so. All The Bends & O.K. Computer fans are probably still sticking with Radiohead trying really hard to like each new release, at least myself.
    As this does not materialize, it gets frustrating, but like I wrote earlier, Radiohead are a different band post 2000 probably not getting much airplay with their new releases?

19. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I do not agree.

ted209, nasa09, Satchidananda and 2 others like this.
  20. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Coldplay have an undeniable gift with a hook, though.

Oh, and King of Limbs is one of my favourites, I like all the Kid A onwards LPs. Bends is good, OK Computer is too patchy for me.

21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There was no way they were going to equal, much less top "OK Computer" with a follow-up release, so really their only artistic option was to break the wheel.

22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think if Coldplay had called it after Viva La Vida, their reputation would be strong, but they went full on into housewife pop and it alienated their earlier base. Radiohead could be too much at times, but I'd take Thom Yorke at his most pretentious and abstract than Chris Martin singing "Paradise" and literally getting upstaged by Beyonce at his own Halftime Show. Thom would never humor that idea

23. M2225

Ok people, great to see that Radiohead are still relevant, and these threads generate discussion. I realize that there's no support for The Bends & O.K. Computer fanbase here, and I will repeat myself: I have never blamed Radiohead for their great achievements long-spanning career as artists, they have done better than most.

pinkrudy likes this.
  24. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The post Kid A album Hail to the Thief was recorded mostly live and features recognizable guitars and such.

25. scantregard

scantregard Forum Resident

Kid A went to #1 on both sides of the Atlantic. In Rainbows sold 3 million copies. Can I have some of that "commercial suicide" please?

bhazen, Music Geek, izgoblin and 17 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.