Radiohead's drastic change in 1999-2000?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

You are the first person I have ever met with that opinion but glad you have Coldplay to fill that role.

2. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Absolutely. This helped me to really appreciate King of Limbs, which I didn't like too much at first. For example, I always skipped Bloom until heard it live:

Now I really like King of Limbs, like everything else that's come after the Bends.

waaguirr and notesofachord like this.
  3. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Isn't it less of a challenge to stick with the something you've already done? Seems to me that by straying away from what's safe and putting out something like Kid A, they took on quite the challenge by risking alienating some fans of their older material (which they seem to have done by the looks of this thread...)

MothMonsterMan, Chrome_Head and IFP like this.
  4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

[​IMG]

5. Wow, this thread, man. :doh:

Radiohead, IMO, is one of the greatest bands of all time. As many have stated, the shift happened between the Bends and OKC. And thank god it did.

6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

next we'll find out that Maroon 5 is what people who've been waiting 13 years for a new Tool album moved to to get their "fix" until Maynard and co. drop the new album in August lol

7. :biglaugh:

lordfalconer likes this.
  8. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Maybe because they didn't want to do a OK Computer II? Other artist like Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and Prince's Purple Rain followed the same path because they didn't want to make a sequel to their popular album.

Also, they didn't abandoned anyone, they wanted to do something different, people didn't like it and folks moved on.

lordfalconer, IFP and Jmac1979 like this.
  9. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

and really...I don't know how someone who loved 90s Radiohead couldn't find something to like on Hail To The Thief or In Rainbows, two albums that did a pretty good job at blending the 90s guitar stuff and the artsy later material

10. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Oof yikes. And a Beatles avatar to tie it all together

stef1205, Blank Frank and themisto like this.
  11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

It’s all very simple. It’s because Thom discovered Aphex Twin. Just look at his hair today.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Coldplay are an awful band, and have always been an awful band, IMO.

I love the anecdote that Bowie was requested to collaborate with them, and declined.

13. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

The Beatles can be considered "housewife music."
    There is a sort of vibe to this thread that is ironic...I have a feeling that most people deep down wish that Radiohead would have put out more commercial albums just like Coldplay did.
    I find A Moon Shaped Pool rather boring...and I love King Of Limbs. Maybe I will throw in the CD tonight and see if it gets better.

Go on youtube and see how many views "Up and Up" (which has an awesome guitar solo by the way) has received and compare that with what hits A Moon Shaped Pool has received.
    Plus A Head Full Of Dreams has reached Platinum status...I think the Radiohead album is only Gold.

If you are a Radiohead fan that wishes that they would out another Parachutes...oops I mean The Bends...try some latter day Coldplay for your fix.;)

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  14. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

Almost hit like. Then I read your last two sentences.

appearcomposed likes this.
  15. No. Not at all.

16. But cheers to this thread I'm going to go spin my original UK Kid A. One of my favorite records in my collection and one of the best albums ever made.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Not me, as MUSE filled the void instead of Lameplay. Actually, when I first heard a few Songs from 'Showbiz', I thought it was the Next Radiohead Album, as it sounded a lot like Songs from 'The Bends'. Bellamy's Voice even sounded a little like Yorke's Voice except Bellamy at least enunciates his words when singing. I do recall listening to several Radiohead Songs that were on Napster in 1999 in anticipation for their Album to be released in 2000, but even most of those Songs gave no indication of what would be released except for a Few Songs like 'True Love Waits'(that went through several worked on versions over the past 20 years) and 'Pyramid Song' that ended up on 'Amnesiac'(remember that all of the Songs from 'Kid A' and ' Amnesiac' were worked on the same time as thought plans were for a Double Album, but they split the Music over 2 Releases instead(think it was a 6-9 Months break between those 2 Albums).

I still bought all of Radiohead's Albums post 2000 on day of release, but MUSE filled that Guitar Rock Sound that was lacking from Radiohead with a few exceptions like '2+2=5'(although starting with 'Origin of Symmetry' and 'Absolution'-their 2 Best Albums-IMO, but 'Black Holes and Revelations' was almost as good, they also added Classical Music influences).

Then with their last Song(Knights of Cydonia) on 'Black Holes and Revelations' starting to sound like the Bombastic Over the Top Queen Sound(not a Fan of Queen) then continued with several Songs on 'The Resistance' doing the same Queen type influence, I started to lose interest, although by then Radiohead put out 'In Rainbows'(welcome back Guitars even if not the loud crumchy 3 Guitars Attack from their first 3 Albums)', that I rank as their Best Post 2000 Album. Although, Radiohead lost me again with 'Kimg of Limbs'(although 'Separator' is one of their Best Songs), then they won me back with 'A Moon Shaped Pool'(finally a New Direction with Cinematic Type Songs).

Although, I only like 5-6 Songs from 'Kid A', 'Amnesiac' and 'Hail To The Thief', as long as they explore New Types of Music for them, if not really breaking New Ground, and Thom Yorke keeps any more of the Electromic Blips & Beeps to his own Solo Albums, I will keep buying their Music. What is next? How about a FUNK Album?

Also, I liked the Soundtracks I have heard by Jonny Greenwood and the Suspiria Soundtrack by Thom Yorke. I have not checked out Phil Selway's Albums though.

18. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Not sure about Ed but no way Jonny would not approve the change in direction. In fact, I am pretty sure he was the one who instigated it.

19. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

They were not at least until 2005. First two albums are great Britpop pieces. They were too afraid to start experiment after they secured the popularity.

manco and schnitzerphilip like this.
  20. TheSeldomSeenKid

I had the same thought after I heard 'Kid A', as I think 'OKC' is the Greatest Rock Album ever made, so how were they going to top that one? It was liked they painted themselves into a corner. Next thing you know, they took the Guitar out of Jonny Greenwood's Hands and had him plugging cables into some device to create sounds. The joke at the time was that he had only read half of the instructional manual, and please someone take it from him before he reads the rest of it.

I found 'Kid A' to be Cold and Emotionless(like the Album Artwork that I do love), but was the opposite of what made me love 'OKC', as that was a very emotional Album to me. The Electronic Blips and Beeps Songs got even worse though with the B-Sides to 'Amnesiac' and 'Hail to the Thief' and Yorke's Solo Album, 'The Eraser'. Thankfully, 'In Rainbows' and its B-Sides were their Best Songs since 'OKC'-IMO. I know that Guitars were still played on Songs on 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac'(Ed needs to still be involved), but they seem to be more used as texture(if that makes any sense), but the Guitars were back as main instruments for several Songs on 'In Rainbows'( The B-Sides themselves would have made for just as good of an Album-IMO).

manco likes this.
  21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I think the argument that Muse and Coldplay filled the sonic gap Radiohead left behind when they made their big shift is fairly sound, at least here in the UK - it was certainly true on the radio. It doesn’t mean that they’re comparable in terms of artistry!

Whether Radiohead made the jump because they saw their style being copied and feared falling into cliché, or whether they just followed their instincts (Talk Show Host is a good clue), they ended up somewhere that was both successful, and where no-one else really tried to follow. Nice place to be, and I’m glad they’re occupying it.

I’ve no time for the “they should have made OK Computer II” argument. File under “Devo should have kept using guitars” and “Bowie should have stuck to glam” in the “arguments that say more about you than about the artist” file.

22. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Dropped acid to King Of Limbs when it came out and it’s now my favorite Radiohead LP. Go figure :)

Chrome_Head, cubbykat and waaguirr like this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

I get your point, but then we have Suede, whose last 3 Comeback Albums are similar to the Music they were making on their first 2 Albums and almost as good-IMO. Same for the Afghan Whigs recent 2 comeback Albums after a long break. So for some Music Artists, they can make the same type of Music that they made in their early years and still create New Great Albums, although the 2 Bands I mentioned did have a long break but Brett Anderson was putting out Solo Albums and Greg Dulli had another Band, The Twilight Singers, whose Music still sounded a lot like the Afghan Whigs.

Although, then you have a Band like Supergrass, who never evolved after 3 Great Albums then hit mediocrity, and Gaz Coombes left to start his Solo Career.

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

I agree with most of your Posts I have read on this and other threads, but that Lameplay Album and especially 'Clocks' was Adult Contemporary Bland Music. Being a Bunnymen Fanatic, it should embarrass Mac, that he was involved with that Album.

25. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I didn't like KOL until after AMSP then I went back and really got into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.