Radiohead's "Kid A" Turns 20--Anniversary Set Speculation and Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 11, 2020.

1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I think we’re a long way off from a new Radiohead studio album, but I’d love to be wrong!

CassetteDek and robbroncs like this.
  2. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

It's been a long stretch, and they've all seemingly gotten a lot of other solo projects out of their systems. I'm hopeful they start recording as Radiohead this fall or something, and a new album is out a year later...Fall 2022! call me an optimist ;)

seaisletim and ghoulsurgery like this.
  3. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Phil is currently recording (see his zoom meeting with Ed). So it's either a solo album, or he's secretly doing his parts for a Radiohead album.

Once the pandemic is over, they will be itching to get back on the road, like everyone else. A new album will launch the tour.

EmceeEscher likes this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Just want to leave a post so I get alerts for this Thread in the future for whenever an announcement drops for the anticipated Kid A/Amnesiac Deluxe Box Set.

Not sure what additional content would interest me as I mostly only like about 6 Songs from each of Kid A and Amnesiac that followed OK Computer being my All Time Favorite Album((played it 6 months straight at least 5 Days per Week after buying it on release on July 1, 1997). I then rank The Bends, In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool as my next Favorite Radiohead Albums.

However, if Deluxe Box Set for Kid A/Amnesiac includes s Few Concerts on BluRay and CD, along with a Nice Book, I will most likely buy it. Maybe, there would be some unreleased music from that time which would add interest for me if included in this anticipated Deluxe Box Set, but I have rarely played the B-Sides, which I own from the CD Singles from those 2 Albums, so no idea if any other unreleased music will interest me unless similar to the Album Songs-How To Disappear Completely, Morning Bell, The National Anthem, Optimistic, You and Whose Army, Pyramid Song and Dollars and Cents.

OK Computer being my All Time Favorite Album, I was actually disappointed with the OKNOTOK Deluxe Box Set, as it only contained about 40 Minutes of prior unreleased music and on a cassette tape(wtf?), although at least a Download was provided for that extra music. Of Course, all was made right once we got the Mini Discs released(think there were 18 of them), but a lot of that music is what should have been included in the Original Deluxe Box Set(I know that Band never intended to release it and took someone to leak that music for them to also release it themselves on Bandcamp, but still was just a missed opportunity for a Tremendous OKNOTOK Deluxe Box Set-IMO.

Alan57 likes this.
  5. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

There’s just so many possibilities for demos/alternates/outtakes from this era. There could be entirely different arrangements for most songs on both albums. There could be full on rock songs that they abandoned during the process. There are likely finished, early versions of songs that got released much later. It’s all going to come down to how much the band decides they want to release. I hope they feel generous.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  6. mightyquinn61

I'm getting into Thom Yorke's solo albums. Wow. Wonderful stuff.

EVOLVIST, Lewisboogie, rednax and 5 others like this.
  7. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

There are indeed some amazing songs throughout. One of my favourites is "Nose Grows Some" from the 2014 album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. There's another on there that gives me the music chills, "Truth Ray".

scarfaceclaw and ghoulsurgery like this.
  8. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Which did you start with? There’s some really great stuff on those records

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I think his latest Anima is the best solo one yet.

Lewisboogie, Vox78, dloew and 2 others like this.
  10. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

It's a stunning record, this track in particular is one of the best things he's ever produced.

JeffMo and scarfaceclaw like this.
  11. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

In the event some may be unaware I thought I would post this video called Kid A Theory.

Also, there is so much free content on Radiohead.com to watch that a super deluxe version already exists on the internet.

Which is kind of fitting when you think about it. As the mood of this record is indistinguishable from the mood I feel while surfing the internet. I think it started with 'The Blips' and the strange internet events they were staging during that era.

jfeldt, enro99 and Daniel Plainview like this.
  12. Transience

Transience Forum Resident

Anima is a great album but The Eraser tends to get a bit overlooked, which is a pity. But then he claimed it wasn't as solo album ;)

Lewisboogie, mightyquinn61 and JeffMo like this.
  13. mightyquinn61

I bought Anima on CD and loved it. I recently upgraded my speakers, and at high volume the whole house was shaking with that bass. I then bought The Eraser, and it's as good as the Radiohead albums from that period. I'm now waiting for Suspiria to arrive in the mail.

14. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Nice! Suspiria is a much different beast, but it has some really great piano songs mixed in with the horror noises and moody atmosphere. Anima is my favorite, with Suspiria and The Eraser close behind. There are some great standalone single tracks, too. Check out “Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses” and “Hearing Damage” for some good non-album tracks

15. Transience

There are some great B sides from The Eraser singles along with a whole album of remixed Eraser tracks. You might want to give the Atoms For Peace album a try as well, it includes Nigel Godrich and Flea.

gregorya and CassetteDek like this.
  16. Another vote for Anima.Truly great album.
    The Eraser and Atoms For Peace are both excellent.Don’t like Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes as much as those 3 but it is still pretty good.As someone else said Suspiria is a very different beast to the others.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  17. Transience

TMB takes a little more effort but is worth it in the end. Talking of Suspiria, this is an amazing performance.

mightyquinn61, Groovy, Rich C and 2 others like this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I still need to get Suspiria myself actually!

19. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Amok is awesome, I really enjoy that one, it's pretty much neck and neck with the Eraser. Amok and King of Limbs feel like sister albums to me.

Then Anima, then TMB. Haven't heard Suspiria but yeah Unmade is one of his best songs ever.

Transience and mightyquinn61 like this.
  20. mightyquinn61

Suspiria just came in the mail today, and so did the music book Radiohead Complete. A great 320 page book with all Radiohead lyrics and guitar chords, lots of Stanley's illustrations too. Just be aware there are no guitar tabs or notes, just the chords.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    gregorya and ghoulsurgery like this.
  21. mightyquinn61

Oh, and how can we forget the heartwarming melodies of "The Thom Yorke Christmas Album"?

gregorya likes this.
  22. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

23. mightyquinn61

Alan57 likes this.
  24. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

They did “skirting on the surface”!

mightyquinn61 likes this.
  25. Wow, I might be the only one who prefers Tomorrows Modern Boxes as Thom's best solo, "solo" album.

I just think the songs are better and it's better mixed. The vinyl kills. It's great!

mightyquinn61 likes this.