Radiohead's "Kid A" Turns 20--Anniversary Set Speculation and Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 11, 2020.

1. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

So Kid A is turning 20. The year 2000 was 20 years ago... :shh: This must be the Future!!!

Anyway, amazing record. Man, I remember its release like it was just last week...

qtrules, Maurice and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

A big Amnesiac Kid boxset containing everything plus something else. I'm in.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I found the DE in the used bin at Newbury Comics a few years ago but haven't played the bonus disc in awhile. I seem to recall it had some radio sessions and live material along with b-sides.

Having said that, I'm certainly interested in a boxset for the 20th!

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  4. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

What's the problem?
    According to Discogs the only differences between the US and EU versions are the label and the cover.
    Both pressings have the same deathwax and both are pressed by Optimal.

5. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I would love it if Kid A was the only RH album without a 20th anniversary box set, just like it is the only RH album without any singles. :)

Kid A is unique.

6. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

We should be getting an announcement next month if Radiohead is going to stick with an early Oct release timed with the 20th.

Would love the OKNOTOK treatment for Kid A. Very well deserving, and though there are no b-sides to add, surely there are some alternate mixes or outtakes or unreleased songs from the sessions. I'd love to hear the full band version of "Everything In It's Right Place," before it was scrapped and Thom started playing around on keyboard and protools....There's a version of "True Love Waits" from Kid A sessions, I believe, and "Follow Me Around"!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Grow Fins, Chrome_Head and tug_of_war like this.
  7. It’s not going to happen but I would love an audiophile AAA 45 rpm release with deluxe packaging and extras.

RockyRaccoon, dloew and Six Bachelors like this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

The OKC minidisk dump also showed that there was FAR more in their recording archives than anyone even knew about. And I would think a lot of Kid A stuff would’ve been captured in even better quality then that was.

aphexj, beatleroadie and ghoulsurgery like this.
  9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The minidisc dump also showed us just how much revision went into structuring and arranging the standard guitar/bass/drum songs. I can’t imagine how many different arrangements there might be of the Kid A material.

10. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

There's an enormous amount of Kid A / Amnesiac odds and ends out in the bands archive. Not only was each member of the band individually working on workstations creating their own mixes of each track, there's a number of songs that were radically reworked in future years ("Reckoner", "True Love Waits", "Nude") and that cover of "The Thief". There's almost definitely hundreds of tracks/mixes to choose from from this era.

11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Isn’t some of that show on the Live Recordings album they released in 2001?

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This is one of the few Radiohead albums that I still like, but I think I am content with the two-disc edition.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You know, I have be meaning to listen to this and Amnesiac...and I should go for vinyl, shouldn't I?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

In regards to Amnesiac, I have the 10”, 2xLP, 45rpm re-release by XL from 2016. Some of the sounds have that uncanny “there in the room with you” feel, especially Phil’s drums on “Pyramid Song” or the horns on “Life In A Glasshouse”. There’s a bit of surface noise on my copy though.

My 2016 Kid A is about on par with how I remember the CD sounding, though perhaps there’s a bit more warmth on the record. Also has some surface crackle.

Maybe the original pressings sound better?

Grow Fins likes this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

“Pyramid Song” sounds like its from another world on the 12” single. So good.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

If buying new, both the 2016 12" XLs are awesome I can confirm. Only comparing though to 2008 and 2012 Capitol US ones, which are more comparable to CD quality I'd say. The 2016 12"s for sure sound much better to my ears. I've heard the 10" XL is also good but I can't confirm. Though still I've heard original UK pressings are the best, and I'm sure they are and sound better, I just wonder by how much.

I'd take yet another copy of these albums in a heartbeat if it sounded as good or better than the 2016 12"s and with bonus material. Bridging that gap between current presses and an original UK, or surpassing an original UK, I'd buy this no questions.

Kid A remains the most important album to me from that decade and probably the entirety of my life. Yes I think it's that good. Please do something special Radiohead, would love this album to get the same treatment as OKNOTOK.

gregorya, Grow Fins, mBen989 and 2 others like this.
  17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I went back and reread the initial post in this thread and this part of Ed’s interview jumped out at me:
    “We’ve had different chapters in Radiohead life. Up until the end of OK Computer was one chapter; Kid A through to A Moon Shaped Pool was another chapter. We’ve sort of drawn a line now and are wondering what the next chapter will be. That’s what we’ll figure out next.”

The distinction seems weird to me. Kid A through AMSP is a long time that covered a lot of ground. I wonder what’s on their minds.

Six Bachelors and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Ooh really? I’ll have to check it out. Seeing Them perform Pyramid Song while the sun was setting and the moon was coming up over the Columbia River was transcendent.

19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I bought the 2x10" vinyl of Kid A in 2008 and I really enjoy it; sounds even more ominous.

I'll admit that I wasn't really following Radiohead when I heard someone play Kid A for me over his new surround sound system. I knew Creep and High And Dry, but that was about it. Somehow, I missed OK Computer entirely. They seemed like your average alt band from the 90s. When my friend spun up Everything In It's Right Place, I was like "Whoa, what? Who? The Creep guys?" It didn't make sense. You might as well have told me that Harvey Danger had come out with Operation:Mindcrime.

I've definitely heard the detractors, especially vs. OK Computer, but this one really got to me. It clicked bigtime. I used to listen to it several times in one sitting.

So sure, I'd be in for a Kid/Amnesiac set, though perhaps every minor alternate mix or take might be a bit much.

Dan

20. jeffchisako

jeffchisako Forum Resident

I have the original uk pressing from Parlophone. I haven’t heard the other pressings, but my record sounds very good. My only issue has always been about flipping the record over every 2 to 3 songs. I’m not usually bothered by this, but for this particular album it really breaks the flow for me. If I had my way, I would have released it on a single record instead of 2x10” records.

Everything In Its Right Place
    Kid A

The National Anthem
    How To Disappear Completely
    Treefingers

Optimistic
    In Limbo

Idioteque
    Morning Bell
    Motion Picture Soundtrack

21. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

I’ve not heard the 2016s but I’ve got an original pressing of the 2x10 Amnesiac and it’s one of the best sounding records I own.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Kid A and Harvey Danger’s second album are my two favorite records of 2000 :)

23. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

How about an official video release of the Canal+ live performance, with the bonus ondes Martinot ensemble?

Alien Ache likes this.
  24. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am afraid it sounds like a convoluted way to say that Radiohead are not going to record new music to create new albums.
    I hope I am wrong but I think they are a band only in the sense that they still manage their catalogue together. They will continue with things like the library and archive releases but I don't think we will see a new album.

25. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

glad to see this distinction being made and happily welcoming the next chapter for the band. It's just, like with so many other bands, there needs to be more chapters.