Radiohead's "Kid A" Turns 20--Anniversary Set Speculation and Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

No, there is apparently not. When I started this thread, there was talk from interviews with the band that they were considering a release.

jon-senior likes this.
  2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Seems like a missed opportunity for a tremendous set covering a really fertile creative period.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

if anyone wants to retain hope, Kid A and Amnesiac came from one session. And as Amnesiac was released in 2001, maybe the 20th anniversary of both albums could be celebrated next year. Just fanning the flame of fan optimism here.

4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m still holding out hope for this. Ed specifically said “no reissue this year.” Didn’t rule it out entirely

cosplusisin likes this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Even Pre Covid the anniversary dates thing has been "ballpark".

It does make sense to combine Kid A/Amnesiac as others have said.

6. fuzzyste

fuzzyste Well-Known Member

Ed O Brien mentioned on a recent instagram live stream that something is coming out soon, said it's not new music. Could be this finally?

7. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

please please please

Justin Brooks likes this.
  8. fuzzyste

fuzzyste Well-Known Member

Nigel also posted a few weeks back talking about how he set up loads of old school video cameras during the recording of In Rainbows, along with Adam Buxtons footage it could be a release of that perhaps?

9. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

his instagram isolations have been quite soothing.

10. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I wonder if it might be a Kid A/Amnesiac joint box set? That would make a lot more sense to me.

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I agree. Too much overlap between the sessions for Amnesiac to not be included

12. 13605

13605 Guest

Will never forget first hearing of this, fresh off the promo van, in a London studio on the best amp and speakers setup I've ever heard an album on.
    All of us present were of diverse musical involvements, from jazz to soul and pop and everyone was completely silent from beginning to end and quite blown away.
    It did give me a taste of what it must have been like when a Beatles album came out in the 60's. It HAD to be checked out no matter what kind of music you were doing.

jfeldt, GregorSamsa, mcwlod and 5 others like this.
  13. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure all songs from both albums were from the same sessions. Perhaps the, new then, setting of Morning Bell was done later. They even contemplated putting it all out as a double album. It might be interesting if they included a disc with a reordering of the songs if they had released it as a double. Of course they could tweak it from their earlier ideas, assuming it ever got to that point.

First pressing of Kid A CDs included a hidden booklet under the disc holder. Once Amnesiac came out and later copies were pressed the booklet disappeared, but I am pretty sure all the artwork ended up in the Amnesiac CD. I could check, but I followed the instructions and cut the pages of the booklet and put them in a box as I was done with them. Now I'm not so sure.

14. Dr78

Dr78 Well-Known Member

Related? Sounds like a version of Paranoid Android that was on oknotok playing in the background..

TikTok

15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Oh this has me curious now. Creating a tiktok account and posting a weird video with the Kid A bear in it would seem like a starting point to get hype going for a reissue

Chrome_Head and jboersma like this.
  16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The return of Chieftan Mews. Something's up.

17. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

But why only TikTok and nothing on Facebook or Instagram?

18. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I know for a fact the band does not like Facebook. So it would not be a stretch to think they feel the same about Instagram. Maybe TikTok is something they like, or at the least, tolerate.

My guess is they are releasing a new record.

19. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

Fingers crossed! It’s been almost 5 years since AMSP, and the previous album gap was also 5 years...

20. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Someone from the band said something is coming out soon, but not new music

misteranderson likes this.
  21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Perhaps they'll release some variants of the original tracks... call it "Kid B 1.1.7"... ;)

23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Isn't the anniversary of Amnesiac fast approaching? Can't remember if it was a May or June 2001 release.

24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Should I mention Steven Hayden wrote a book about Kid A?

25. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

so would that mean Kid A/Amnesiac package?