Raga Brio vs Schiit Vidar+Saga

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, Jul 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

I've was enjoying my open box discounted Rega Brio for a number of weeks. It was 2nd Brio I owned. The first had some issues. The 2nd Brio worked well and great synergy with my Denton 80th Anniversary speakers, but the plastic fascia started peeling off and was in danger of completely peeling off. It started just above volume control such that it was interfering with volume knob. I returned it and paid the difference to get a brand new Brio. That one didn't work; could not turn volume off, but that was all the volume available the knob didn't adjust volume up or down. Pot issue or knob issue whatever it was new. So I just returned my 3rd Brio.

Now that I've tried 3 Brio's, I'm a bit gun-shy. My 2nd choice was also Schiit Vidar+Saga. New shipped they're about same price as Brio.

What would you do? Try another Rega Brio, or order the Schiit Vidar+Saga?

2. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

Talk about bad luck. I've had a Brio for a few years and never had a problem with it. I love the sound because it reminds me of my Primaluna based system and has a tubey and smooth sound quality that also works well with my Klipsch Fortes. Good luck with your decision.

3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Croft Phono Integrated!

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks for the suggestion. Know where I can pick up one for $900???

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  5. Art K

No, but for a little more I would give Gene Rubin a call. He may have a special deal or demo. When he gets the next shipment they will be $1995.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's currently on sale at Gene Rubin for $1495. I know its hard to make $600 magically appear, but the great thing about that deal is it will go back to $2000 so if you hate it you can sell it for at least what you paid for it.

33na3rd likes this.
  7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think I would have given up after the second Brio. Try something else. Hopefully it works for you.

8. hman

hman Forum Resident

I run a Schiit Saga + through a 180wpc, overbuilt, solid state Anthem power amp. I love how clean and quiet everything sounds, and the overall presentation is fantastic. The tube stage adds a drop of color, and serves as the icing on the sonic cake.

The Saga is also very well built, and it's easy on the eye.

billnunan, bever70 and boyhitscar like this.
  9. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

For $900, the Yamaha AS-801 would be on my list. Probably top of the list for integrateds.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Art K

Also, he often has a demo or deal. Worth a call. Customer service doesn’t get any better than that provided by Gene. Truly one of the good guys.

Rolltide likes this.
  11. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Another happy Saga+ owner here with a SS power amp and very happy with that combo.

Personally, I like having the pre and power amps separate, it adds to the versatility.

However, I have bought a socket saver, 2 different valve converters and 10 new valves since January which adds to the cost a bit!

unclefred and bever70 like this.
  12. Rattlin' Bones

I did inquire with Gene Rubin. I'm doing a trade, and buying the Croft Phono Integrated minus trade value. The Croft will go in my main listening room. For my office small room I found a nice vintage Sugden integrated with built-in passive pre, so I'll be able to experiment with various pre's (like tube pre's).

Thanks, Art !!!

Art K likes this.
  13. Art K

:righton:

14. Rattlin' Bones

FYI Gene Rubin absolutely A+++ great guy great retail company.

Art K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.