Rage against the machine (first album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I tried listening to this again when the AF SACD came out and I just couldn't do it. The lyrics and this rage against "the man" appealed to young me but upon hearing it a couple of years ago it was cringe worthy after half the album.

2. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

One of the best albums - and best-sounding albums - created in my lifetime (I'm almost 40). Ferocious sound, relevant message (sadly still as relevant now as it was in 1992), talented and tight band. What's not to love?

If I had to create a top 10 of all time off the top of my head under pressure I'd not lose any sleep if this one got thrown in.

Stormrider77 and MonkeyTennis like this.
  3. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

While the production job on the debut is really good, I liked Evil Empire and Battle of Los Angeles way more. The debut is very clean and clinical-sounding whereas the other 2 have more grit.

Stormrider77 and ghoulsurgery like this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm sure your kid loves "F--- you, I won't do what you tell me!!!" :winkgrin:

I think the original CD sounds great too. Certainly not awful, IMO.

I absolutely loved them. The closest thing to a Led Zeppelin my generation had (I was born in 1974), in terms of bombastic, powerful capital-R Rock created by 4 guys.

Liked Audioslave...I was just glad they continued on. Prophets of Rage? Meh.

I really wish they'd get back together.

5. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Exactly how I look personally at Evil Empire. I just can't get its kinda "histerical" vibe on a lot of songs :) Still, Down Rodeo, Year of tha Boomerang and Snakecharmer have some nice parts in them.

pinkrudy likes this.
  6. Dbacksrule76

Dbacksrule76 Forum Resident

Ha! I’m from the ATL and jammed with Bones on a few occasions!

Brenald79 likes this.
  7. jatticus

jatticus i swear im not emo

well do I have some news for you...

8. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

RATM & Wu-Tamg , WUT!

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  9. Dbacksrule76

Dbacksrule76 Forum Resident

Tix are gonna sell out in Phoenix in like 5 minutes!

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Sweet! Bonz is one my favorite rappers.

11. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I had their demo cassette first. Then I got the debut when it came out. Interviewed Morello for a music mag out of Hamilton back in 93/94. I love the album. I recently got the Audio Fidelity SACD (Nice work Mr. Hoffman). Perfect music for me back in my 20s and it still holds up today.

Soundslave likes this.
  12. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

I saw Audioslave perform 'Killing in the Name'. It may have been even better with Cornell on the mic.

13. Maybe it was one of those jerks from your high school who only recently posted on Twitter that he “used to be a fan until your political opinions come [sic] out”.:D
    Tom Morello and Twitter respond to people only just realising Rage Against The Machine are political
    Anyway, I here you. Many of the people at my school who liked Rage Against the Machine were jerks and bullies too. I believe they were going for the masculine image, rather than for the political message, of RAtM (which I mostly like, even though the lyrics of RAtM were always a bit too platitudinous for my taste).

They groove like hell. And they have many great riffs. For me as a Black Sabbath fan, that matters. :) And their first album was one of the best of the 1990ies.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    TurtleIsland and Sear like this.
  14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

This has been on my wishlist for years...

15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Exactly! They were those insufferable agressive macho teenager types.
    I also have meet decent RATM fans. But the negative always outweights the positive for me!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  16. Sear

I own it. It's VG but it sounds pretty good. If you want it, it's yours

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. Palmreg

Palmreg Forum Resident

Rake against the Machine?) Sorry? Brave anyway.
    [​IMG]

Sear likes this.
  18. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

If Echoes doesn’t want it, I’ll take it!!

Sear likes this.
  19. Sear

I see you are in the antipode.. shipping cost will be high...

20. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

While I'm not big into the political stance of the album, the instrumentation and the way the vocals are delivered is fantastic. The SACD of this album is also really good and if you don't already own an original vinyl pressing or the CD (which both also sound pretty good), I'd recommend picking it up.

Yost likes this.
  21. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

Something I’m well acquainted with. All good with me!

22. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

The first European press does have RL in the deadwax according to Discogs, HOWEVER.... my MOV copy which uses the same plates also reports on Discogs that RL is etched in the deadwax, and I've just pulled out my copy and I cannot see any RL anywhere. There is a little faint scribble on side A which could be RL, but it looks more like its just a rough 'A'. I googled photos of what RL looks like in the deadwax on records he has cut, and its not the same. So I think in both Discogs entries, they are wrong.

Soundslave likes this.
  23. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I call it the riot album. Every time a song songs from the album was played at a club in the 90ties it was near riot. So much energy :love:

24. George P

George P Notable Member

25. the_doctor

the_doctor Forum Resident

I recently bought a 1992 European LP. Mine also has what you describe - looks like an 'A'. I've been looking and can't see a posted image of the fabled RL anywhere and even the Discogs image looks like the 'A'.

Does anyone have a copy with a clear 'RL'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.