Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I go back to the release of Bohemian Rhapsody although (and I am making a big confession here) I thought it was called "Bohemian Rap City." Hey, I was 10 years old and rock music still scared me a bit. But I was hooked by News of the World.

Queen has always been huge here. Nearly everyone I know likes them. Even my uncle, who was more partial to West Coast sound, liked Killer Queen. I can still recall several people who named them as their favorite.

Another story: Years ago I attended a small party. One guy was an artist and did a presentation using an old Kodak slide projector. Used the first Queen album as the soundtrack.

2. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yea that's cool.

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Lol I deleted that comment as I thought I was rambling on too much. You must've clicked the page before I did so.

From what I've seen on this forum, Queen aren't held in the same regard as other top-tier groups by boomers from the U.S. I remember one thread where classic rock groups were being spoken of, and they protested that Queen weren't a classic rock group as they came along later than the other groups (although they did play at the same time as other groups - The Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd, for example). To Gen Xers Queen is definitely classic rock, and to Millenials too. They're definitely regarded as a top-tier group as well. I remember when I first joined this forum and was surprised at the dismissal of them here.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It took like 6 albums for Queen to be huge in the USA.

They steadily gained an audience here, and then News Of The World was the album that opened the floodgates.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

What can I tell you? I was always ahead of the curve. I still have the original 45 of Bohemian Rap City. :cool:

blind_melon1, rontoon and Sondek like this.
  6. Combination

You sly thing, you. :p

7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I never regarded that as one of Queen's best albums, yet it was really popular over there.

Drifter likes this.
  8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

There is some truth to that. But most people like the Stones, Zeppelin, and Floyd better than most bands. For what it is worth, I like Queen more than Zeppelin.

David Campbell likes this.
  9. Combination

Trust me, I still would love to get the UK promo robot display sent to a few record stores. :agree:

10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

This? Queen News Of The World - Robot UK Promo memorabilia (460851) ROBOT DISPLAY

I guess if there was one item I would love, it would be a signed copy (by the entire band) of A Night At The Opera, but I'd be looking at thousands for that, and that's a little out of my budget. :/

11. Combination

Yup, that's it - I'll take one that's dodgy if you happen to come across it!

12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Queen now have more monthly listeners and followers worldwide than even The Beatles on Spotify...

Queen - Monthly listeners: 23, 827, 080. Followers: 10, 177, 078

The Beatles. Monthly listeners: 15, 167, 727. Followers: 9, 885, 969

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nope. "Night at the Opera" went to #4 and sold 3 million copies in the US. "News" went 4X platinum and made #3 - not a quantum leap...

rontoon likes this.
  14. Combination

They sold 3 million in 1975, or is that the tally in 2018?

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The first two tracks were (and still are) so huge in North America is why. Absolute classic anthems.

andrewskyDE, videoman and Sondek like this.
  16. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I was a bit let down by News Of The World at the time of its release as it didn’t have as much studio trickery and experimentation as the previous two albums. But I’ve since come to really love most of the songs on it.

I’ve always liked Jazz more. I think it has some great songs on it and is way under-rated. Although it is hampered by a really poor mix. (IMO). The drum sound is atrocious on it.

I would love if they did the rest of their classic albums in 5.1 as they did ANATO and The Game. Their albums are so much fun sonically and really translate well to surround.

rontoon likes this.
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Love my DVDA of ANATO. Time to spin it again!

videoman likes this.
  18. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

With A Night At The Oprea? Or another album? Have you still got it?

20. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

It was actually the tour program for the Night at the Opera tour. I saw them at the Beacon Theater in NYC in 1975(?)76(?). The band did an autograph session at Macy's in NY. Freddie, Roger and John were there to autograph the album. Since I already had it, I brought the program with me and they signed it. I got a couple of pictures from that day if I can find them. I do recall my friend who came with me took a roll roll of film but forgot to use a flash. Dumb **** lol.

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Loving that this thread has exploded and people are gushing about Queen :D even amidst all the kvetching!

For anyone who has PBS Passport, the Queen Rock The World documentary featuring Bob Harris is available for streaming. Only about an hour but an amazing watch!

22. Combination

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

pictures

Sondek likes this.
  23. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I could be mistaken but the official trailer available now is nothing like what I saw in the theaters before release, which imo was weak. The part I remember most "there is only room in this band for one hysterical queen" is no longer in the trailer. The "new" trailer is much improved. I'm sure they may have multiple trailers but had they used the one I just saw some of the complaints about the trailer may not have been voiced. The "new" one encapsulates the film much better.

I saw the BR last night for the second time, one thing I noticed this time around we're how many people in the crowd at "Live Aid" had tears in their eyes … quite a few.

This is a picture I will own when it's released.

905 and rontoon like this.
  24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I would guess the tally by now. Few records were selling 3 million a year in 1975.

25. I did not see the early one but early trailers are usually created way before the film is finished. Way before the final cut ,so usually there are longer and much improved trailers based on the final motion picture and color corrected footage.

Chris DeVoe likes this.