Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Oh dear...

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

What’s up with all the “guy who plays Freddie” comments? He’s a well known actor...get out every once in a while.

905, Ben Adams, Chris DeVoe and 3 others like this.
  3. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Typical of Queen product to be littered with errors; see The Lot, NOTW box, everything The Torpedo Twins got their hands on etc ...

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I actually watched Greeting From Tim Buckley the other night and really liked it

5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That seems like blatant trolling of hardcore fans to me. I think someone's having a giggle about that.

6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

So the first hour of this is about Queen with Freddie, and the second hour about how the remaining members of Queen carried on after Freddie's death and triumph over the odds.

They had better be bloody badgers in it. And Star Fleet

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I think Rami Malek looks great as Freddie. I enjoyed him in the first two seasons of Mr. Robot, but the story got so dark and convoluted that I gave up Season 3. I'm looking forward to this.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  8. Echidna Arf

Echidna Arf Well-Known Member

Should've stuck to Sacha Baron Cohen.

progrocker and snorker like this.
  9. NightGoatToCairo

With the movie finished, it's a moot point but was it really a film that needed to be made? They should have just produced a great documentary like The Beatles Anthology.
    Champions Of The World, Magic Years and Days Of Our Lives never did the band's story justice, IMO.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I thought Days Of Our Lives was fantastic, especially for the unseen footage. I enjoyed the Champions of the World & Magic Years too.

I'm not convinced this film needed to be made, but now it has I just hope it's good.

Michael Rose likes this.
  11. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to it!

Nothing will ever be good enough...but I will appreciate and enjoy the effort.

It doesn't look too bad. C'mon!

905, Sondek and Man at C&A like this.
  12. NightGoatToCairo

They were all quite enjoyable but not very well put together IMO.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm looking forward to it too. Have been for a while. I am happy the sets and costumes look good. It doesn't look cheap.

PDK and Sondek like this.
  14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Magic Years was great fun. I still have those VHS tapes.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The previously thought wiped Top of the Pops clips and video outtakes made Days of our Lives for me. I was amazed by all the Seven Seas of Rhye TOTP clips existing in colour. I also really liked the 'album by album' approach. I rated Rhys Thomas work with Queen and their archive highly.

Having said all that, I would love a lengthy Queen Anthology type documentary, with all the clips in their entirety.

tages, andrewskyDE and Lonecat like this.
  16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Film makers rarely to be able to get past the trope of the Idol With Feet Of Clay when they do musical biopics. I wish once in a while they would do something about a musical genius where by the end of the movie you still felt that they were a genius.

17. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

If there's one thing Queen don't do it's "cheap"!

blind_melon1, Man at C&A and Sondek like this.
  18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I know that post-Freddie story for the movie has been around for a while and sincerely hope that idea has been axed. I may pay full price for a ticket and exit early. :tsk:

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It has been axed, thank goodness. There's no post Live Aid stuff in the trailer.

Unless they make a sequel! I sincerely hope not...

Sondek likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nothing, including anything in this film, will stop me thinking Freddie was a genius.

21. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

In hindsight Champions happened too soon. It came out around the same time as MiH. Roger wore sunglasses and sulked through out and Brian was much better. Days was an excellent doc as were the FM doc a year or so later. Both BM & RT were in much better head spaces and you felt the love and joy they shared.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

An article from September 2017...

“I think he was just upset about not being able to tell the story he wanted to tell and I think maybe this was the way he vented,” says King of Cohen. The band, he says, have input, but no script approval. “The annoying part is that all the press about Brian May wanting control – that was never the case. [Cohen never explicitly pointed the finger at May.] The deep hurt I saw in Brian, from getting attacked like this… For me, the biggest fear was that Brian and Roger were gonna call me up and say, ‘You know what? I don’t think we should move on and make a film anymore. It’s just too much.’ There was no version of the script where Freddie died halfway through the movie. It was from a very early draft a story where Live Aid bookended the film.” The creative clashes were, had been a problem."

Read the rest here....

Bohemian Rhapsody: On Set With Bryan Singer's Freddie Mercury Biopic

23. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

I will go and bring my kids if certification allows.
    Played Live At Wembley '86 today I was so excited seeing this.
    "Dee day de day de daaaay ohhhhhh!!!!"
    Etc.

Man at C&A and Sammy Waslow like this.
  24. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I already notice little inaccuracies like John Deacon signing in studio...Stuff like that drives me crazy, so I likely won't be watching.

And to make a film about Freddie Mercury, without his battle with AIDS and final years, is just a waste imho.

25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Watching the trailer I couldn't figure out if the Brian May's voice has been put over Gwilym Lee's (the actor who plays Brian May), as it sounds so much like him. But listening to interviews on him on YouTube, I'd say it's not the case. He has a similar tone and way of speaking. Here...

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    BeatleJWOL likes this.