Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Exactly. SBC might look a bit like Fred around the Magic era cos of the mustache etc, but can you seriously imagine him in leather and leotards? or in a white satin jumpsuit? In fact anything that was Freddie in the 70s! hehe Rami is about as close to Fred as you might get. He's also a great actor. SBC is a very funny man, but he is no Fred.

Glenn Christense and chacha like this.
  2. The Amazing Colossal Queen

chacha likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris, ralphb and Mazzy like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ah ha! very funny! love, love The Amazing Colossal Man and the sequel as well...never missed them on the Saturday Afternoon movie in the 60's!

chacha likes this.
  5. Michael

when is this coming out on BD?

6. Michael

they should have made the Attack of the 50 foot Woman vs. The Amazing Colossal Man! LOL...

rontoon and chacha like this.
  7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

My wife and I finally went and saw the movie yesterday.
    We both liked it, probably because of Rami's performance. I having a hard time trying to imagine anyone doing a better job of being Freddie, except Freddie himself.

As always the movie is made for the general public, not Queen fanatics. I didn't see anyone in the theater taking notes and shaking their heads in disgust. :D

All the talk here about Rami's eyes being too big or the Live Aid lighting not being correct make no difference to Joe Public going to be entertained for an afternoon or evening out.

I'm not sure my wife and I would have liked the movie much if someone with less talent than Rami had played the part because I'll agree the general plot line is fairly pedestrian band starts, gets big, has problems, then triumphs at end of movie.

And, as a guitar player I give bonus points that the guy playing Brian was doing a credible job of looking like he was in the right place on the guitar when he was shown "playing" a lead line and the Roger guy's drumming matched up also.

I've seen enough music movies where the guitar player guy has a ham hand covering part of the fretboard with no relation with the actual leads or chords actually being heard.:D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    keyXVII, rmath84 and chacha like this.
  8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

rontoon and Michael like this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Completely agree.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  10. Michael

can't forget that one...

ralphb likes this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences obviously love the film as well. Nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor and more.

RocksOff87 likes this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Also nominated for Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Film Editing. Released today in streaming format.

RocksOff87 likes this.
  13. That's what they do in the entertainment world and advertising. We all know this. I happen to be at an advertising photo shoot in New York today and just watching all the cooks (ten people just from the client and agency side here pontificating heir opinions on every detail) making decisions about both the live still portion and CG combo that will be retouched to hell for the two final images they are creating.

Certainly not unusual at all.

chacha likes this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Of course, it's normal to retouch pictures but it's the level at which it was done on that specific picture that is beyond anything I've seen. Doesn't even look human, now. That was my point...

15. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

After seeing Borat and Bruno, I unfortunately can imagine that.

rontoon likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Finally caught this. Well I’m sure it’s a crowd pleaser Because of the queen song snippets which is basically what most of these movies ride on: the memorable tunes. Otherwise to me it’s your basic hokey rock bio pic, melodramatic and by the numbers as they come. Of course the problem may be there’s only so many rock ‘n’ roll stories: young mates get booed at a bar, somebody sells his wheels, they cut a record, they hear themselves wow! for the first time on the radio, The faithful girlfriends, the reluctant producers, maybe there’s just so many permutations to it’s only rock ‘n’ roll. I have yet to see one of these pictures that gets anywhere close to presenting real human beings. Maybe Sid and Nancy How is got the best picture nomination is beyond me. MOW all the way. Just as bad as that one about NWA.

Here my big take away. I never knew Freddie Mercury had a speech impediment. The actor kind of sounded like Jerry Lewis with nutty professor teeth in.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    dvakman and realkilroy like this.
  17. RocksOff87

RocksOff87 Forum Resident

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I should say it does develop some drama about Freddie’s downfall. That’s the best part.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'll give it a thumbs for the drama at the end. But there's no way in hell you're going to get me to sing the words

Radio Ca-ca
    Radio Goo-Goo
    Radio Ga-Ga!

What?

20. Control about Joy Division is great.

realkilroy, RocksOff87 and Ghostworld like this.
  21. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

There is always more scrutiny when the person portrayed is of the recent past. There are millions who remember Freddy young and alive, so every detail is examined as many easily recall the days of seeing him live, on TV, etc.

Folks are more forgiving of an actor playing George Washington because it was a long time ago.

22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Sure, but there isn't any actor going to be able to capture Freddie, or Elvis, John Lennon, or...anyone to total exact perfection .

That’s an unrealistic expectation to have watching this or any movie about a person we know lots about.

When I was young I watched most of the Laurel and Hardy movies and read a couple of books about them.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to watch Stan and Ollie and expect 100% perfection from the actors portrayals of them .

23. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Indeed true. I am just saying its probably easier to accept an actor portraying someone you did not see all the time. Even in GW's time, the overwhelming majority probably never saw so much as a picture let alone the real man.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So movie audiences in 1789 were more accepting of George Washington biopics? ;)

Simon A likes this.
  25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It was all the plays in which he was depicted. The critics were brutal! :nyah:

Oatsdad likes this.