Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And I never contested that!

I'm not saying we're better or greater or comparing us with "Bohemian Rhapsody" as a movie or Freddie as a thing, or whatever it is, you know, I just said what I said and it was wrong, or was taken wrong, and now it's all this! :laugh:

Peace N. Love likes this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Bale gave a great one dimensional performance. Rami had more depth/range in his role. This pretty much sets him up for the Oscar.

Efus and pghmusiclover like this.
  3. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

?

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I've never been a big Bale fan...

Peace N. Love likes this.
  5. Efus

Efus Senior Member

You have a lot of interesting things to say, smart opinions. You're not wrong in your criticism of this film.
    Its your life, but you seem stuck here, obsessed with a movie you clearly dislike.
    None of my business, but do you think you'll ever move on from this? Just doesnt seem healthy, my man.
    But to each his own...

6. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

The dude from Little Women?

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, I'm not "obsessed" with the film at all.

This is a discussion board. The thread stays active. I post my comments.

Kinda seems like the point of the SHF, isn't it?

8. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Agreed. I don't share Oatsdad's view of the movie, but I understand his POV.

Efus likes this.
  9. Efus

Efus Senior Member

To be perfectly honest, the only person Id be interested in hearing from is Sasha Baron Cohen.
    Im sure he'll sincerely congratulate Malek on his success, but this role was his until it wasnt,
    and that surely will be a footnote if Malek ends up winning an Oscar.

Imo, this could be very good news for Taron Egerton who's playing Elton John in Rocket Man, due this summer.

serj and rontoon like this.
  10. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Finally saw this. Teeth were a distraction at times. Shtruggling to shay shome linesh. It was a battle of wills. Sometimes Rami won, sometimes the teeth did.

Murph, Scotian, jon9091 and 4 others like this.
  11. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I didn't know that was actually in production. Obviously must have been before the Queen movie came out.
    The success of BH is good news for the Rocket Man producers.

Efus likes this.
  12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

When I saw BR, they ran a preview for it.
    Here tis.

cgw likes this.
  13. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Is Sasha Baron Cohen playing Elton?

Actually (unless they totally went the other way with regard to personal life) it will be directly comparable to BH (and it will be). Quality, acting, box office - we will see

If BH was wigs and teeth, what will this be hair line and glasses?

rontoon likes this.
  14. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Taron Egerton will be playing Elton John, young English actor, starred in 2 of The Kingsman films (havent seen them).
    Fair amount of screen and voice credits, UK-centric films.
    So this will be a huge role for him, much like Malek's turn. I'm assuming as the title character he'll be carrying the film.

15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah...you think would have realized early on that the teeth didn't work, but I doubt it would have improved upon the one-dimensional performance. It was truly awful, with all the contrived sentimentality and revisionist history. It was like a bad TV movie, with better production value.

16. Rami definitely sounded as if he needed longer to practice speaking with his prosthetic teeth in, but Freddie wasn't that much better once he let his guard down... it's clear that he was able to perfect each line for the majority of Queen's studio albums, though he didn't have as much time for that during the Innuendo sessions or what he recorded for the posthumous Made In Heaven project, and there are quite a few moments on both of those where his frequent battle with sibilance really became more apparent. Considering how polished Brian and Roger supposedly wanted this movie to be, I'm surprised they didn't look at some alternative* option, because there were genuinely moments that left me struggling to understand what their cinematic depiction of Freddie was saying - "Mr. Bad Guy" himself would likely have been offended by how this characteristic was emphasised!

*Would CGI have made a difference?

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Right?!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think it was quite as bad as you make it out to be, but I agree with much of what you say. You're saying it's "really bad" -- I think it's just "not a great movie, but an OK movie." Big difference.

Meanwhile, it looks like director Bryan Singer is going to be making a whopping $40 million dollars on the film because it unexpectedly hit $800M at the box office...

[​IMG]

Accused Rapist Bryan Singer Could Make Over $40M for 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

19. Probably not a popular opinion, but if he contributed to make the film what is was and that's the deal he worked out, he deserves every cent coming to him since the movie was so successful.

He personal BS is a totally separate issue and maybe he will may pay personally and/or financially for that crap.

Dudley Morris and blackstar like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think that's basically true. I also would bet that Singer basically got what are commonly called "Monkey Points" (meaning, only a monkey would believe they'd ever profit from them), but the $55 million film unexpectedly made $800 million, which basically means that it's a lot harder for the studio to claim it didn't make net profits. So a clause of Singer's contract kicked in and he started getting 5% of the gross from a certain number... which turned into $40 million. There have been several actors and directors in the last 20-25 years where they profited handsomely because the movie was a huge hit and they wound up getting paid 10 times what they expected to make, but it doesn't happen that often.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WE loved the movie and was pleasantly surprised to see the little kid all grown up (as the bass player) from Jurassic PARK...

keyXVII, 905, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  22. Michael

man, you guys seriously have to nit pick the F'n teeth? LOL...geez, he did a great job...give 'em that! forget the teeth...AH, HA!

keyXVII likes this.
  23. Hope Rami gets a cut. He serves it. Or maybe they’ll give him a crown

andrewskyDE and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

they just loved the Teeth! $800 million dollars worth...

25. Michael

in GOLD!

andrewskyDE and Mazzy like this.