Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's been a curse for years of kids who have been in Spielberg movies and were basically never heard from again. This guy is a rare exception -- and he did a terrific job in Bohemian Rhapsody. And he also did a credible faux British accent (at least to me).

keyXVII, Michael and Peace N. Love like this.
  2. And Christian Bale, also a Spielberg child Star, has also done quite well. And he just did another great American accent.

Michael likes this.
  3. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I don’t have a link to it, for all I know the photo’s even in linked somewhere in this long thread but there’s a b/w photo of a very young Freddy and his teeth were freakishly huge, far moreso at that young age then when he eventually matured.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes he was great...

5. Michael

what movies?

6. Michael

[​IMG]

7. Christian was the star of Empire of the Sun

8. Michael

ok, yes that refreshed my memory...thanks.

Mazzy likes this.
  9. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

So I finally saw the movie tonight thanks to getting the blu-ray a week or two early before the release date. I’m not really a super knowledgable Queen fan but right away some of the historical and timeline innacuracies I am aware of kind of bugged me. I get that liberties were taken for dramatic effect but compressing Mercury’s AIDS diagnosis and illness to kind of set up Live Aid as a dramatic end eas a bit too much.

In my opinion, what made the movie was the actors playing Freddy and especially Brian May, much like Val Kilmer was the best thing about The Doors movie. Like that movie, BH is certainly entertaining but I think The Doors was a better film.

Btw, director Bryan Singer who was booted from the production nearly a month before filming was completed is not seen or mentioned *at all* in any of the special features.

10. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I'm English and didn't realise the actor playing John Deacon was an American, so (to my ears anyway) he did a good job.

keyXVII, Jack Lord, Coricama and 2 others like this.
  11. Yeah he was the kid in Jurassic Park

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's amazing! Usually when I think a British accent is good, a real Brit will say, "oh, no -- part of his accent was London, part was Yorkshire, and then he started cursing like a bloke from Manchester!" :eek:

Rami Malek I thought also did a terrific job with his accent -- the range of this guy as an actor was amazing. He's superb as Mr. Robot, a neurotic American who mutters and mumbles most of the time and almost never yells, and yet also totally believable as the flamboyant, over-the-top lead singer of a huge British rock band prancing all over the stage. That's what I call range.

Ooooh, don't start that again. I seem to recall an angry 1000+ message thread about The Doors. I'm only a casual Doors fan, but even I knew about all the gross discrepancies that Oliver Stone wrote into the film: Morrison graduated with honors from the UCLA film program and didn't abruptly leave the school; Pamela Morrison never set a closet on fire at their house; Jim Morrison did not glare at the camera and deliberately sing the real words to "Light My Fire" (he looked down at the floor with some embarrassment when he sang them); and Morrison never threw a TV set in the recording studio when he found out the label had sold one of their songs for a TV commercial (in fact, he liked that their songs were being exposed to the mundane public). Stone amped up the drama but a lot of this was fabrication. Overall, it was very inaccurate and Ray Manzarek tirelessly slammed the film in a dozen interviews when it was released.

There are a lot of these "if the legend is more interesting than the truth, print the legend" situations with biopics. Sometimes, films omit extremely dramatic, controversial details that would almost overshadow the real story, so the filmmakers have to make a decision which version of the truth to tell.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I bet Freddie Mercury spent a lot of time working on his body and would have hoped for a slightly beefier actor, personally. Like I would insist on Harrison Ford in my stead

14. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Watched the movie pay per view, not sure why but the sound levels on the Vudu were going up and down during the music performances. Anyone else notice this? Or just a playback issue on my system? I've got a pretty good rig, sounded like the surround mix got messed up on my two channel playback. Wish I'd seen it at the theater now, but nice to be home with my gal too. The live aid portion was fantastic, brought back some memories. Did they include the original performance in any of the extras for the physical disk? I'll read the thread a bit more and see but the movie was very good IMO, teeth and all. Don't know a lot of their history so any changes your fit a movie story line didn't bother me either.

15. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

The Suicide Squad of music biopics. Awful. The screenplay, the characterization, the edition, the whole movie makes me cringe.

dvakman, Ghostworld, Scotian and 3 others like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, at least "Suicide Squad" had Margot Robbie looking all hot - "BR" didn't even have that! ;)

Darrin L. and Black Magic Woman like this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They’re all awful. They’re all “Beatlemania” meets “As the World Turns”. - waxwork shows with predictable, melodramatic plot lines. This film was no exception. But I did like the music!

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  18. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Lol, I was going to write that on my original post but Rami Malek looks good with a moustache :rolleyes:

Oatsdad likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I admit I don't want to see Margot Robbie with a mustache! ;)

20. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"Bryan Singer has had his BAFTA nomination for Bohemian Rhapsody rescinded only days before the award show is taking place.

The Freddie Mercury biopic's director was one of several of the film's creative team up for Outstanding British Film, but the British Academy released a statement late on Wednesday (February 6) announcing he'd no longer be in contention.

A BAFTA statement noted that its board of directors made the decision to strip Singer of his nomination because of "very serious allegations" of sexual misconduct, which the filmmaker has denied."

BAFTA suspends Bryan Singer's nomination for Bohemian Rhapsody after allegations

rontoon likes this.
  21. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I'm going to see Bohemian Rhapsody at my local library tomorrow........they're having 3 showings at 10:30am,2pm and 7pm[for free no less.... the only showing that has seating left is the 10:30am].

22. Doesn’t everyone have to be quiet ? :tiphat:

Peace N. Love and rontoon like this.
  23. Welshman

Welshman Forum Resident

I enjoyed it overall after a couple of pints on a date with the wife. The music/concert set pieces were great and Live Aid worth seeing it for alone, but a lot of cringey dialogue etc. I can see what they were trying to do with hanging so much of the narrative around Live Aid, but they went too far e.g. having him track down Jim(?) and come out to his parents literally on the way there. I wouldn't have bought into that even if it was a totally fictional film. There were a few other things that didn't ring true even though I have little detailed knowledge of the true story. The in-jokes such as the Wayne's World reference and Brian May haircut comments were done at a cost of pulling the viewer out of the world of the film a bit. As good as Malek's performance was, I thought had been a bit OTT when I watched a Freddie interview later and saw he had quite a normal speaking voice and wasn't this Gollum type from the film. I didn't really buy the FM/Queen as freaks/geeks/nerds making music for the same either. In the UK Queen are a hugely mainstream,'un-cool' act and Freddies 'clone' moustache and short hair look could pass for a working class man down the pub at the time and the gay aspect was totally lost on straight men who looked the same. Although May does somehow manage to look like a total dork when he should be a rock god. I wonder if opinion will drop when people see it at home without the benefit of the big screen and sound-system.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Not in any way for me. I've seen it twice at home.

keyXVII, blind_melon1, 905 and 2 others like this.
  25. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Still waiting for this to be available to rent on-demand instead of only buy it.