Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Yeaahhh...

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Due to the success of BR, this is what happens next...it goes to Brian and Roger's heads.

This will be amazing. :yawn:

Queen and Adam Lambert Announce New Documentary The Show Must Go On | Pitchfork

Queen have announced a new documentary called The Show Must Go On: The Queen + Adam Lambert Story. Since 2011, the band’s founding members Brian May and Roger Taylor have been touring with Lambert as Queen + Adam Lambert. The two-hour documentary features behind-the-scenes concert footage from their time working together. It also follows Lambert’s career since his 2009 “American Idol” performance with Queen and includes interviews with May, Taylor, Simon Cowell, Bohemian Rhapsody’s Rami Malek, and more.

rontoon likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Oh good. I hope they cover that Brian May was an astrophysicist. They didn’t really talk about that much in the first movie. ;)

utopiarun, pdenny, Brendan K and 7 others like this.
  4. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

This sounds horrid!

5. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I feel a tad sorry for Marc Martel who did the voice work for Mercury singing in the movie and no one mentioned his name from the stage for giving Freddie voice where there wasn't any.
    Sure, Martel received billing in the credits but it would've been a nice tip of the hat for Malek to recognize Martel and his talent he brought to the film as well.

Here's Marc celebrating at home with family over the Oscar win of the film. Didn't even go to the Oscars!

6. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

At least Good Morning America highlighted Martel 2 days prior to the Oscars.

RocksOff87, longdist01 and rontoon like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Martel (I guess) isn’t a big enough name to lead Queen + but it’s a shame. He’s way more on point than Adam Lambert ever could be.

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

My talented friend, Prince just posted his work and I thought I'd share it here.

[​IMG]

keyXVII, DonnyMe, 905 and 7 others like this.
  9. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’m just surprised (some of) the remaining members are carrying on and still calling themselves Queen (without Freddie). I wasn’t aware that was even happening until all the recent... attention.
    I thought the movie was at least entertaining; I knew enough not to take it too seriously. But the flattering way in which May was presented (especially the Live Aid “footage”) made it obvious who was doing the bread buttering.

10. The Who, Fleetwood Mac and countless other bands only have two original members yet they continue to tour and record.

905 and GodShifter like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It’s Roger’s and Brian’s band. They can do what they want. Embrace it or ignore it.

keyXVII, Deuce66 and rontoon like this.
  12. lonelysea

But they still contain “core” members. Queen without Freddie is a joke, in my opinion.

dvakman, LarryP and brownie61 like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yep, in “your opinion”. Noted. May & Taylor were Smile even before it became Queen.

Ignore the current iteration and be done with it.

rontoon likes this.
  14. lonelysea

Like make self-aggrandizing biopics that are critically dismissed and cash-in documentaries? Good for them, they’re effectively soiling the band’s legacy. But hey, at least it sells!

dvakman likes this.
  15. Fleetwood Mac only has an original drummer and bass player. The Doors brought in another vocalist and toured. The Grateful Dead even replaced Jerry

Some of us may not like it but bands still want to perform and make music.

keyXVII, 905 and GodShifter like this.
  16. lonelysea

Fleetwood Mac are a horrible example. Take a look at the band name. Their whole thing from the start has been to surround themselves with a shifting cast of “supporting” players.
    Maybe Nirvana should enlist the next winner of American Idol and hit the road!

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

18. RocksOff87

RocksOff87 Forum Resident

Nailed it.

19. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

I wanna see them perform with Marc Martel...listen to this...wow!

DonnyMe, BGLeduc and Rhett like this.
  20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Both the Grateful Dead and Queen have used "disclaimers" by tweaking the band name. To me, that acknowledges the changes and adds an element of modesty to the endeavor.

Other band are a bit more .... ignoble.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Even as a huge Queen fan, I'm not upset one bit about the box office or Oscar success of "Bohemian Rhapsody," but it's so odd to me that a film rife with factual errors, a film that fails to show Freddie's big personality and a film that avoids so much of the band's and era's decadence has been praised to this extent. Also, it was REALLY freaking corny.

Queen was the epitome of musical entertainment, but the writers/producers/participating band members did an awful job of showing it. Instead of a triumph, "Bohemian Rhapsody" was a wasted opportunity.

dvakman likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I wonder if Deacon still has a % in current Queen?

23. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

A fair critique, but the movie has made lots of dough, has upped sales of Queen's music, and may have solidified them with the newest generation (my 11 year old and his gang of rowdies are now all big fans).

Therefore I would not say it is a wasted opportunity. Indeed it seems Queen has been marketed to the 21st century crowd in a way that appeals to them. As I said to my kid, Brian and Rodger don't care about me as I already own the discography. They want YOU.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Phil147, Rhett and npc210 like this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think they soiled the band's legacy. The exact opposite has happened. Their legacy has been solidified even further.

25. lonelysea

Oh, but they’re just getting started.
    (excellent choice of words, btw)