Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Sometimes the US actors get it right though. If Renee Zellweger had not been famous beforehand and I'd only seen her play the parts of Bridget Jones or Beatrix Potter I would have been quite surprised to learn she was an American.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  2. I saw this film tonight. I like Rami as an actor. I didn't like the film. It wasn't rancid, but it was a second cousin to it.

I don't know what I was expecting, but Bohemian Rhapsody was way too Hollywood, in the bad way...like a Marvel comics movie way. I don't suppose I was looking for that in a Rock 'n' Roll biopic.

Sure, there were some good parts. It had some nice qualities. All in all, though, I would have been better off reading a good book about Queen.

3. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Is there such a thing? I tried reading a few but I found they were either too fan nerdy (said the person posting on this forum - ha!), or too preoccupied with salacious personal details. I'm assuming that the band's lack of interest in doing many interviews presents a challenge to biographers.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I watched it on Amazon Prime last night and enjoyed it, although I wish it had focused more on their early days (Queen I and II era). Does the DVD/Blu-ray have any extras such as interviews, behind the scenes, or deleted scenes?

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, a bunch are on Youtube as well.
    bohemian rhapsody extra - YouTube

longdist01 and Bachtoven like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

bartels76 likes this.
  7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Sammy Banderas and Ghostworld like this.
  8. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

We just watched the remake of Papillon the other night. Malek did a fine job as Louis Dega (Dustin Hoffman in the original film, with Charlie Hunnam in the Steve McQueen role of Papillon). He commands the screen every time he's on it.

Overall the movie wasn't as good as the original, but I still enjoyed it.

pghmusiclover and Vidiot like this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Congrats on 4 wins tonight including Rami for Best Actor.

keyXVII, 905, Bachtoven and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Good Oscar speech...

[​IMG]

11. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i just watched this last friday night. was looking forward to it being a pretty big Queen fan. have to say i was pretty disappointed in it. it had its moments but for the most part it felt amatuerish. and i just didn't buy rami malek's performance as freddy at all. then i found out yesterday it was nominated for best pic and best actor. wow, that was a shocker.

dvakman likes this.
  12. Bo Rhap got the awards it probably deserved although I would have chosen Christian Bale over Rami but I’m ok with a Rami win.

Felt bad for Glen Close however Colman was amazing and in fact was the original front runner.

Not sure about Green Day (sic). I was for Roma for best pic and then Cold War for foreign film if Roma one in picture.

13. "And...uh, Bryan Singer?"

[​IMG]

14. Yesterday I watched Malek in the Pappion remake (currently on Amazon Prime). He played the role of Degas well (quite different from Hoffman's excellent performance).

15. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I was going to post some thoughts about the film, as I just watched it a few hours before the Oscar, but I'm on the same page with EVOLVIST. Rami put on a hell of great acting performance in the midst of a movie that tuned into a quasi-A&E channel biography.... In my very humble opinion, of course.

16. Sometimes there are great performances in otherwise mixed-bag movies.

I'm not a particularly great fan of Jack Nicholson (sometimes he's great, just as often "not"), but I remember thinking he was outstanding in Hoffa (1992), a movie that wasn't nearly as great a his performance in it was (or best as I can recall, as it's been over 25 years since I've seen it).

17. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

18. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

A movie your granny can like. (Based on thumbs-up reviews from 2 musically illiterate grandmothers I spoke to)

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a very good way to put it -- I'd agree with that description. But it's a good TV movie... just not a great one, not even a very good one. Very formulaic.

dvakman and longdist01 like this.
  20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I don’t think she is wrong, it was dull.

22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

23. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

What’s she saying exactly.. she wanted more what? I’m not catching. :oops:

24. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris and rontoon like this.
  25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

She’s saying she wants more people to pay attention to her.

rontoon likes this.