Randy Newman new album of original material "Dark Matter" (08/04/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

:laugh::righton:

Chris C likes this.
  2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up, Captain Groovy, I'm on board. :thumbsup:

Captain Groovy likes this.
  3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Thanks all for the heads up on this. I've preordered and it does state I'm getting a signed print so if anyone is concerned about that it will tell you at the ordering stage if it's signed or not. I guess I would order it sooner rather than later if you want it signed.

Looking forward to this.

Dave
    Peace and love✌

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

6. Beaneydave

Thanks for the link.

Peace and love✌

Chris C likes this.
  7. Chris C

I'm honestly looking forward to this new album from Randy, but I really wish that he would have left that "Putin" song off of it. It's not the "politics" of the song that bothers me, it's just that I've never cared for songs on albums that are "timely" like this one is. Other Newman songs, like "In Germany Before The War", "Political Science" or even "Rednecks" will always stand the test of time, but I'm already over "Putin" and it seems so yesterday to me and this album isn't coming out until August! In the end, I'm just glad that Randy cares to even bother recording full albums for us anymore. I'm sure that he could just sit on the patio in his backyard, sipping ice tea all day and not give two hoots about making music again.

(Funny, but that is how I imagine Randy Newman when he is not recording, LOL!)

krock2009 and Beaneydave like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I ordered the CD day of announcement and got confirmed I also would get a signed print. Guess it has to do with when you ordered it

9. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I wish he had left "Putin" off, too. Someone should make Randy listen to "Sometime In New York City" so he can learn that topical political songs simply don't stand up.

Glad he's including "Jungle," though. Nice to have that preserved.

Do you know which Arthur Alexander song he wanted to cover, Jeff?

10. Chris C

How about this ...

Jackson Browne covering one of Randy's deep album cuts from "Harps & Angels", just the other day, on June 18th, 2017!

Captain Groovy likes this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Don t really agree-Putin is Putin but could very well be any strongman. So the message is timeless-some amazing music as well

pghmusiclover likes this.
  12. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I just ordered the CD and the website confirmed that I would get a signed print.

13. Any new music from Randy Newman is always something special. I hope it's going to be better than Harps and Angels, I really couldn't get into that one.

14. Beaneydave

I saw JB play this last night in Gateshead/Newcastle.
    Called Randy "the great American political songwriter "
    A great gig all round.

Dave
    Peace and love✌

Chris C and hodgo like this.
  15. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Only slightly off topic, I didn't realize there is a RN bio until I was browsing the music books in Barnes and Nobles this week, The Life and Music of Randy Newman. The text passed my browse test. Looks like a good read, talking 'bout why and how he wrote this song and that one. I plan to read it to get psyched for the new record.

16. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

The Life and Music of Randy Newman is in the top rank of music books I've read. Like Randy, it's irreverently funny but also full of I didn't know that moments: that an admiring George Martin sought him out early on; that Cilla Black, Dusty Springfield, the Walker Brothers, Alan Price, Harper's Bizarre among others all covered RN before he recorded for himself; that Randy and Van Dyke Parks were friends and collaborators.

If you ever read a music bio and wished that much more was said about the artist's music and the creative process, this book for you.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

18. pghmusiclover

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Plus there's a new single from the new album -- with a lyric video -- "Sonny Boy":

Dark Matter - Randy Newman

Great song, and a great story. Will have to read up on Sonny Boy Williamson to see how much of it is true...

20. pghmusiclover

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

After a few listenings I firmly believe Randy Newman has created a masterpiece-some challenging listening but also stunning. The lyrics are also multilayered, serious and dead funny. The opening Great debate must be the most ambitious piece ever from Randy. There are also a few more straightforward songs that seems very emotionally honest. Music-wise this album contains most of the styles and arrangements one expect from Newman.Arrangements as carefully constructed as here are a rarity these days.
    Great stuff

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  22. Marv Meyerson

Marv Meyerson Active Member

Already on order as a cd (I have a lot of vinyl too). It's been a long time. Very excited!!!!

How many this that "Shame" is one of the funniest songs ever written?

Lars1966, BeSteVenn and Sean Murdock like this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

25. pghmusiclover

Live on Colbert:

jamesmaya and radiomd2000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.