Rank The "Big Six" Classic Rock Bands

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PineappleJuice, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Absolutely!

1. Led Zeppelin
    2. The Beatles

3. Queen
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. The Who
    6. Rolling Stones

PineappleJuice likes this.
  2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm a pretty big fan of all these artists and wouldn't want to be without them in my collection. I chose Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones.

3. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

01. Rolling Stones
    02. Led Zeppelin
    03. Beatles

04. Pink Floyd
    05. The Who
    06. Queen

I'm a big fan of the top three. I like Pink Floyd's work from Meddle through The Wall. I like some stuff by the Who. I'm not a Queen fan at all.

4. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

The Who, always # 1 since the My Generation single was released.
    The Beatles are top 20
    The Stones are top 50
    Pink Floyd are top 50
    Led Zeppelin are top 100
    I don't like Queen.

My top 6?
    The Who
    The Pretty Things
    The James Gang
    The Small Faces/Faces
    Procol Harum
    The Move

5. To tell you the truth, I find the thread confusing, misleading, etc., Are wetalking the classic rock era of the 70s, the codified classic rock AOR radio format, best selling bands, most successful touring bands, only U.K. Bands, there is also a retrospective aspect to remembering backwards with stats from the present, many bands were neck and neck in popularity, success, and airplay that nowadays seem to be forgotten. So yes to the Byrds:righton:

6. I went for Floyd and Zep. I have never liked the Who. I have no idea of why not and for me The Beatles are more pop rather than Rock. I love the Beatles. Queen are great to, but for me, on the list its Zep and Floyd

7. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

I would include U2 as part of the "Big Six". Although I am not a huge fan, they have the hits, fan base and longevity to qualify. They've been around for 40+ years,

8. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I have always seen the Big Three as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Who. The Rolling Stones are my personal favourite but I cannot deny the artistic achievement of The Beatles. I grew up in a Beatles household and they were the only band that everyone loved, my parents included. And though I understand that some consider them too pop to be included, they made enough straight up rock n roll to keep their rock n roll credentials in tact. After The Who, I probably start finding the OP’s selections less palatable to me. While England definitely produced some of the greatest bands of all time, I find it interesting that there is not one American band in the OP’s list. CCR, The Byrds and The Beach Boys (not a fan myself) deserve consideration. Top six for me usually includes The Kinks but I accept they just do not have the widespread acceptance of the others (probably just too English).

xilef regnu, Hermes and savemenow like this.
  9. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Beatles
    Floyd
    Who
    Zepp
    Stones
    Queen

10. PineappleJuice

PineappleJuice Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The Beatles, Queen, Zeppelin, Floyd and the Stones are the 5 best selling bands of all time. While The Who hasn't sold as many albums as the rest, they are generally regarded as top tier material like the previously mentioned bands. The thread I mentioned in the original post is why I made this, mainly to see how the forum thinks The Who ranks against the other 5. And so far, they are right up there with Floyd going at it for 3rd. Hopefully this clears things up.

11. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Voted Pink Floyd & The Beatles...then would be the Stones for me. Not as big into the other three overall, though I like select albums & songs. Even with the Stones I’m more of a big fan only up to a certain point (GHS with select moments after that). Whereas with the Floyd and the Beatles I appreciate just about everything they’ve done.

12. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

There is the Beatles and Led Zep then everyone else

13. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Confusing?

It is a poll. Look up at the top of page 1. The bands are already there.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones.......only through 1974
    The Who.......................only through 1969
    Pink Floyd....................only through Meddle.

I dislike or am sick to death of the rest.

cdgenarian and PineappleJuice like this.
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Switch The Who and Zep and you have my ranking.

ggergm and PineappleJuice like this.

16. Gonna have to add the Eagles, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and Metallica, etc., who have outsold many of the above bands, and then all the solo artists ( Joel, John, etc.,) who have outsold many of the above artists.

Hadean75 likes this.
  17. PineappleJuice

Actually looking at it, the only band you mentioned that outsold any of the 5 I mentioned is AC/DC who slightly have sold more than The Stones. And considering this is about bands, I'm obviously not going to include solo artists.

List of best-selling music artists - Wikipedia

18. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Stones
    Who
    Beatles
    Zeppelin

Don’t care for Floyd and Queen.

19. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

1. The Beatles - by far. I own every Beatles album/release + a zillion bootlegs + all but the Wedding Album by John, + all but back to the egg by Paul (and I haven’t yet grabbed Egypt Station and didn’t get the expanded Kisses album cuz the regular one sucked, and I’m missing the first Fireman album). I own all George + boots (no live 74 tour) plus 3 Ringo Albums (Ringo, Photograph and Sentimental Journey)

2. Pink Floyd. I own all + tons of boots + all Syd + all Roger (except The Body which I lost sometime in college) + all Gilmour (which I haven’t really enjoyed much but still own).

3. The Who. I own all + boots + all Pete (except I own Scooped not the 3-4 individual series)

4. Led Zeppelin- just a hair over RS. I own all and tons of boots (all the big ones).

5. The Stones. I own all except some vault releases, tons of boots. I dig em but wouldn’t put em in my top 30 bands

6. Queen. Their greatest hits are great...the rest is more eh... I have all their bbc sessions, a night at the opera and the 3 GH album + 2 shows

20. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Just need one vote: Queen

greelywinger likes this.
  21. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I could never nail down a permanent ranking of my favorites, so here’s what seems right at the moment.

Led Zepppelin
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd
    The Who
    Queen

22. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The problem is that you can dice up the categories in a variety of ways. The Who and Pink Floyd had some great "experimental" albums and songs. The Beatles had some great experimental stuff and some garbage. None of the Rolling Stones experimental stuff was particularly successful. Beatles had better pop songs. Stones and Zeppelin had better blues-rock songs. Floyd and Zeppelin had some great instrumental pieces. Queen and Zeppelin had the better singers. Beatles, The Who and Floyd were better "ensemble" bands, where nearly everyone contributed good songs. The Stones and The Beatles had some great covers (I think the Stones first hit was Not Fade Away.) The Who only covered a couple of songs, but they were pretty good. Zeppelin straight-up stole songs from other musicians.

It's difficult to quantify :)

Hermes, PineappleJuice and Hadean75 like this.
  23. What can I say, the world is larger and more complex for those of us who consider more than the Beatles.

Hadean75 likes this.
  24. PineappleJuice

I'd add Queen to that list as well. Everyone knows about Freddie's and Brian's top-tier songs, but John wrote great songs such as: You're My Best Friend, You And I, Spread Your Wings, Who Needs You, In Only Seven Days and Need Your Loving Tonight. And Roger: Modern Times, Tenement Funster, I'm In Love, Drowse, Innuendo, Breakthru, etc.

25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

These are the big six???
    Naw

9 Volt and Black Magic Woman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.