Rare Jimi Hendrix Album recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by brickfoot, Jul 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brickfoot

brickfoot Member Thread Starter

I am a huge Hendrix fan and have amassed a pretty noteworthy collection. Recently grabbed the groovy children box set, west coast Seattle Boy box set and the new 50th Band Of Gypsies black vinyl. Are there any other releases planned for this year? Just got the Electric Ladyland 50th box for Father's Day as well.

I also bought the Crash Landing Masters on vinyl today off of E-Bay. Really excited to hear this one. Excited to hear these recordings untampered with for the first time in their entirety.

I'd like some suggestions on albums I should be looking to grab.
    Here is a list of the vinyls I have now:

Axis: Bold as Love
    Rainbow Bridge
    Cry Of Love
    Crash Landing
    Nine to the Universe
    The Jimi Hendrix Concerts
    First Rays of the New Rising Sun
    South Saturn Delta
    Hear My Music
    People, Hell and Angels
    Valleys of Neptune
    Electric Ladyland 50th Anniversary Box Set
    Songs for Groovy Children Box Set
    West Coast Seattle Boy Box Set
    Both Sides of the Sky
    Band of Gypsies 50th Anniversary

Waiting for the following to show up in the mail but they're as good as mine:
    Morning Symphony Ideas
    Crash Landing Masters

I had the Purple Vinyl Box Set on compact disc and intend on buying the vinyl box.

2. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Winterland box. Value.

3. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

You don’t have Are You Experienced? You have to get that one.

4. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

:righton:

joelee, Lurgan Lad and astro70 like this.
  5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I assume you are mainly interested in vinyl, but it can be vintage or new (from the looks of it)?

Vintage album I think you should get are War Heroes (you have most of it on First Rays and SSD, but I think it's an essential LP, and it complements your COL and RB albums) and In The West (again you have some tracks in the "Purple" box set). The latter is a live album, you don't have much live stuff in your collection, maybe you are not too keen on that? But I think you should have the Monterey and Woodstock performances in some form (preferably with the visuals, especially with the former), you should also get something from the Winterland shows, if you don't want to get the box set there is a nice single disc sampler (at least on CD), or you could get the 80s Live At Winterland (or both, but there would be some duplication, and some tracks on the sampler are also on Concerts). You should also have the BBC sessions, it is a unique experience(!) as it's something in between live and studio (and with many songs not usually played live in concert). Lastly Blues is a nice latter day compilation of mostly stuff you don't have.

As noted you are missing Are You Experienced on your list, I'm sure that is an oversight and that you have that, and that you also have some compilation that covers the six early single sides (or as bonus on AYE)?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    jhm, markreed, Jon-A and 2 others like this.
  6. brickfoot

Believe it or not, I don't have AYE and I will be getting that one. I just was a bit burnt out on all of the hits on that one that have been played ad infinitum. I also have Blues and forgot to mention that one. My issue with the live shows is that I don't want any that are bad production or questionable performances. I believe the 4 Filmore concerts with Buddy and Billy to be the best sounding live performances ever performace/recorded by any group ever. In my opinion the Red Hot Chili Peppers got their entire sound from the music those 3 guys made together. I've heard Woodstock before and wasn't too impressed. I haven't heard Winterland and if you think that's a good sounding show I wouldn't mind grabbing the box set. I also was thinking about grabbing Live at Berkley because some of the live tracks I've heard off of that are great, same with Atlanta Pop Festival. Just wasn't sure if there were any other rare studio gems out there. Before last week I had never even heard of that Crash Landing Masters album. So stoked to hear/have that one.

7. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

War Heroes
    In The West
    Soundtrack Recordings From The Film ‘Jimi Hendrix’
    Historic Performances Recorded At The Monterey International Pop Festival [w/Otis Redding]

perplexed, Jam757, BrentB and 3 others like this.
  8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yeah, you need to remedy that! Get a version with the bonus tracks and you'll have the singles as well (which are just as essential). For studio stuff I think you have it pretty much covered otherwise, except for the demo/rehearsal stuff on Dagger.

About the live stuff, Woodstock is not my favourite live performance either, it is just such a landmark event that I think it is essential, kind of the same thing with Monterey, which is early "showmanship" Hendrix, so it's best when you see what's going on. Winterland has great performances from the Experience era, so maybe go for that before those two. Berkley is also a good one, forgot about that, there are so many live albums, that one is recommended. Atlanta is another of the big festivals, I feel those weren't his best performances, too much distractions around the events, some is excellent some is not, Isle Of Wight is the same. All of these are reasonably good sounding from a recording perspective though. There are lots more live album, especially if you get into Dagger releases (which are not as good sounding as they are rough recordings mostly). Then there are all the out of print things, if you want to go down that rabbit hole, like the Stages box set.

I actually don't know what that is? A bootleg I presume. As many of the originals are on official releases I have my own version on Spotify: Crash Landing / Midnight Lightning, a playlist by 99thfloor on Spotify

If you find you enjoy Crash Landing there is of course Midnight Lightning, more of the same. It is controversial on this forum, but I like those albums, I just don't think of them as pure Hendrix, just good music.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  9. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Mono Axis..the original 1967 pressing...it is very nice...'If 6 Was 9' juts sounds amazing this way.

Gordon Johnson and geo50000 like this.
  10. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The Experience Hendrix version also sounds very good. I don’t have an original to compare to but it’s a really nice punchy listen. I still prefer stereo for this title though. You miss out on all the cool phasing effects with the mono cut.

11. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Buy the stereo version

12. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Genesis - King Jimi James version:
    In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth
    And he recorded Third Stone From The Sun
    And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.

Man at C&A and The Beave like this.
  13. brickfoot

Crash Landing Masters are all of the same recordings on Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning that were The original Recordings with Buddy and Billy. They don’t have the session musicians that Alan Douglas added to them. I too enjoy the altered versions but when Jimi was playing with Buddy and Billy it was on another level of amazing. My Buddy (who is also an amazing guitarist and plays on my band) is a huge Hendrix fan and has a slew of great rare vinyl turned me onto this recording. It sounds amazing. I also bought Burning Desire on amazon last night. Very excited to hear that one as well. If you haven’t heard/bought “Hear My Music” I cant recommend high enough. Very similar to Nine to the Universe which is unreal.

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Morning Symphony Ideas - is awesome - I also have a few mono bootlegs on CD that are cool.

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

But you are aware that many of those are also officially released and are on the releases you have (see my Spotify playlist for sources)?

16. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

My wife surprised me with a EH Mono 'Axis' last fall ("I saw it and thought you'd like it").

17. Totally agree. As a long time collector since the 70's(62 hendrix albums-most of which are duplcates!) this one really rocked my world.

You need the Monterey show in some form, even if it's just the Otis/Jimi comp. I also really liked the "Blues" album but I think most of that is also found elsewhere now.

18. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

As others have said Are You Experienced is the obvious one missing on your list. I'd also add to the recommendations for Blues - I love that album. If you're looking for rarer material and are interested in Hendrix as an R&B side man, beyond West Coast Seatle Boy there's also You Can't Use My Name compilation from his Curtis Knight days that can be had for cheap on vinyl.

19. brickfoot

I have Blues, I just forgot to list that one on my original list. Have any of you heard the Dagger Release "Burning Desire"??? Stoked to hear that. So glad I bought that one last night. I hear it is similar to Hear My Music.

20. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

[​IMG]
    AKA Loose Ends

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  21. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Regarding Are You Experienced - if you are burnt out on the hits, get the original UK version, which omits the singles Hey Joe, Purple Haze and The Wind Cries Mary, but has Red House, Remember and Can You See Me. Also - I agree with 99thfloor about getting War Heroes, In The West and Monterey.

22. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

geo50000 likes this.
  23. brickfoot

Nice avatar. Just played that king crimson album for my 18 year old for the first time today earlier. Small world.

24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Monterey Pop Festival

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Live At Monterey

Recorded at the Monterey Pop Festival on June 18, 1967.

Record Store Day 2014 Exclusive Release [Released later to other retailers]
    Initial copies are individually foil stamped numbered and limited to 6,000 copies.
    Also released non-numbered with the same runout and barcode.

The Authorized Hendrix Family Edition
    The legendary US debut performance
    All Analogue Mastering
    Pressed on 200 gram audiophile grade vinyl by QRP.

℗ © 2014 Experience Hendrix, L.L.C., Under Exclusive License To Sony Music Entertainment
    Distributed By Sony Music Entertainment

The Jimi Hendrix Experience ‎– Live At Berkeley
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Live At Berkeley

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

the original track in mono is teh business :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.