RARE Sonny and Cher

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cherbette, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ok, but that really bad rechanneling ruins a lot of that Lp for me.

2. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Mono is probably the way to go on that one.

Dale

3. RetroSmith

Well, not really, as there IS some nice true stereo on that Lp. You have to have both and make your own dub, and lose that fake stereo. The Lettermen stuff is nice in stereo.

4. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Love Is Strange is my favorite track on that LP, though it's in true stereo on the stereo press, that one has that hard stereo vocals/instrument split...never liked that.

Dale

5. RetroSmith

Yea, sounds like Sonny Bono gave the twin track session reels to Warners and they did a flat transfer of them for the stereo version.

Too bad he didnt give the undubbed twin track of "Baby Dont Go".

It would be cool to find that undubbed version and do a needledrop of that Lp and make it 100% true stereo. For a thrown together comp of leftovers, its actually ok!!

6. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I listened to it again a few days ago. Yeah, it's not bad. Those kinds of Lps were usually pure crap or mostly crap, but this one holds together well -- it's really a pretty good listen. Even the Lettermen tracks (not really a fan).

Dale

PS: Which one of those tracks sounds like The Clash's "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?"

7. RetroSmith

Agreed. I think someone in Reprise A&R figured this was a good opportunity to put out an album with name artists where Reprise didnt even have to go record anything!! Every track on there was a 45 release. So this Lp didnt cost them hardly anything to make, and Sonny and Chers name would guarantee it made money.

I actually love LPs like this. These are where you always find those one or two really rare tracks.

8. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Cher owed Sonny for future revenues after their divorce. So she did the album with him. It was finished and was supposed to come out in 1977, but when the second version of their variety show got cancelled that year after two seasons, the album never came out. A single was released, You're Not Right For Me/Wrong Number. S&C did do a concert tour that year, however (part of Cher's payback to Sonny). I went to Alpine Valley Wisconsin and saw them perform.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Too bad this never came out! I mean "divorce" albums as everybody knows can get pretty awesome sometimes and these 2 of all people could definwetely pull it off!

10. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident Thread Starter

Retro Smith, I have the mono version of the Sonny and Cher & Friends LP as well tho it is not exactly mint like my stereo copy. I'm guessing this is the undubbed twin track you're talking about? or would this be on the original 45? Just trying to figure out which LP or 45 this undubbed version appeared on so if I don't have it I can scope it out.

11. RetroSmith

Cherbette:

No, actually, the Sonny & Cher & Friends Lp does NOT have the undubbed twin track of "Baby Dont Go". Neither the mono nor stereo version of the album has it.

I dont think the undubbed twin track ever came out in any released form. Bono certainly wouldnt have put it out, as it didnt have the harmonica and wasnt the Hit version.

12. cherbette

hmm. thanks

13. cherbette

does any one have the original issued 45 billed as Caesar and Cleo for "Baby, Don't Go". If I'm not mistaken the original 45 for "Baby, Don't Go" didn't say Sonny and Cher anywhere on the label and was issued way before the Sonny and Cher and Friends LP. Would the mix on this 45 be any different?

I could be way off base here. Any body got the facts?

14. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

My Goldmine guide (2006/5th ed.) shows the following were released on Reprise as Caesar & Cleo:

0308 Love Is Strange/Do You Want To Dance 1964
    0309 Baby Don't Go/Walkin' the Quetzal 1964
    0392 Baby Don't Go/Walkin' the Quetzal 1965
    0419 Love Is Strange/Let The Good Times Roll 1965

I don't have any of these...

Dale

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nice summation.

16. cherbette

RetroSmith, would either the above mentioned 0309 or 0392 possibly contain this undubbed version of baby don't go or is it the same version that appears on the Sonny & Cher and Friends LP?

17. RetroSmith

Cherbette, its all the same verion, mono with the Harmonica.

The mix on the Ceasar and Cleo versions is the exact same mix as the later Hit version. i do think it was remastered tho.

As far as I know, the undubbed twin track version was never released on any legit form. it may be something that leaked out somehow.

18. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Not sure if it survives in the vault or not, but there was also a 4th Atco Records Sonny & Cher album from 1968-69 that was never released, supposedly titled THIS GOOD EARTH. Don't know anything else about it. It could've possibly contained some of the post IN CASE YOU'RE IN LOVE tracks that were released as singles, like A Beautiful Story, Good Combination, Plastic Man, Circus.

I guess we'll never know anything more about it until Rhino Handmade decides to issue a deluxe version of it.........yeah right.

Hep Alien and ibekeen like this.
  19. cherbette

Some of the tracks that were intended for Good Earth were released as singles....some of which I listed in my first post of this thread

20. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Sorry for the threadcrap, but I found this pretty interesting -- the Bill Medley tune "Leavin' Town" (track #6 on side one on the Baby Don't Go -- Sonny And Cher And Friends LP we've discussed above) is a dead ringer for The Clash's 1982 hit "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?"

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=4408215#post4408215

Check it out if you're interested--I uploaded a sample for comparison.

Once again, sorry for the threadcrap and referencing my own post.:sigh:

Dale

21. RetroSmith

Dgsinner:

Youre close but theres an in-between. The Righteous Bros had a small hit with a song called "Little Latin Lupe Lu" on Moonglow. THATS a direct rip off of 'Leaving Home".

Since "Leaving Home" was a Bill Medley solo record, he probably recorded that first, then when the Bros needed single material, they came up with "Little Latin Lupe Lu" based on "Leaving Home".

The Clash must have heard "Little Latin Lupe Lu" and based their tune on that.

When the Bros became famous on Phillies, Moonglow reissued all their old tunes and continued into the Cd age. I'd bet thats where The Clash heard it, off of a Moonglow RB hits LP. I'd doubt any of them had the Sonny and Cher Reprise Lp.

22. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I forgot about Little Latin Lupe Lu. Still have to disagree with you though because of similarities of lyrical structure and beat in "Leavin' Town" and "Should I Stay Or Should I Go"

LT: "Is it yes or is it no?"
    SISOSIG: "Should I Stay Or Should I Go"

I can't say I remember the lyrics to Little Latin Lupe Lu, but what it seems like she twists real great or something like that...

Dale

23. RetroSmith

LOL...well, Ok. I still feel its Little Latin Lupe Lu because that was actually a hit record that was played on the radio, in LA at least.

'Leaving Town" was a real obscurity. The Clash would have to have heard the song to begin with, and "LLLU" was far more likely to have been heard by one of them them.

24. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

But "Baby Don't Go -- Sonny And Cher And Friends" was certainly no obscurity. I saw far more of those in cut-out and used bins in the day (I'm thinking California in early 70s) than any Moonglow record.

Dale

25. RetroSmith

Ok, thats a good point, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.