Raspberries - the last mono 7-incher?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WLL, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

Was the Rasperries' " Go All The Way " the last 45 release in mono? I have heard that. I mean non-promo, " big time " commercial release, mainstream pop record. Were the Rasps the last out of the stable of the early-70s mono single releases?
    The fellow I heard this from amended this by saying that the 45 version may have had some teeny b:unhunh:it of stereo put on top of it (If he put it that way.), but anyhow:confused:...
    If Eric's epic WAS " the last mono 45 " that seems somehow fitting:whistle:...........

CBS 65780 likes this.
  2. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

Mono was almost totally dead by the mid-1970s but there were a few notable exceptions. The last real hit that I can think of to have a dedicated mono mix is "Shame, Shame, Shame" by Shirley And Company. At least, I presume it's a dedicated mix, because when I compare my original single from 1974 to a folded-down stereo version, I do hear some noticeable differences.

As regards, "Go All The Way" I have information from two different sources, both of which are usually quite reliable. One source says the single was stereo for the stock release and mono for the promo version. The other source says it was stereo for both. The CD version I have is stereo but quite narrow; it folds down to mono without any real issues.

Can anyone who knows more than I do weigh in on this?

3. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Not sure if this single release from Paul McCartney is in mono, or if these were given a dedicated mono mix, but this is from 1999.

Paul McCartney - No Other Baby

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Stock copies are not mono, very narrow Stereo.

troggy and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  5. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

IIRC, there were stock copies of James Brown singles being mixed to mono through the mid-1970s.

McLover and Joel1963 like this.
  6. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

Thanks for the information. I suspected as much, based on what I have.

7. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

NOT MONO.

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Wouldn't have been the last mono 45 anyway. Leon Russell's "Slippin' Into Christmas" was mono a few months later.

9. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

The 1984 release Turning the Town Red by Elvis Costello was mono. It was the theme from the TV show Scully.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Which were recorded on the road in budget studios as independent productions.

11. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

The Stray Cats' 1982 hit "Rock This Town" is mono.

12. kanno1ae

kanno1ae Forum Resident

So is "I Melt With You" by Modern English (also 1982 but charted in '83).

13. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I don't know if it was that way on the 45, but the version of Chilliwack's Baby Blue on their GH collection is mono, and that's late 1970s. Regarding James Brown, his and related 1972 and later mono 45s include There It Is (no existing stereo mix at all AFAIK), Get On the Good Foot, Funky President, Stoned to the Bone (no existing stereo mix AFAIK), the JBs' Doing it to Death (no existing stereo mix AFAIK), and Lyn Collins' Mama Feelgood (ditto).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.