Raspberry Pi or small PC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Henry J, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

The only thing I like to add to my Pi and it's not as easy as streaming ... an analog input for my tt.

There's a hat from hifiberry with analog input, but i don't know if that adc it's similar in quality to a decent audio interface (focusrite scarlett / motu / etc).

And only the licensed Volumio have that input option in the sources menu.

I understand, the analog input it's not a common requirement for this kind of streamer, but for me ... it is :) ... that makes me more prone to computers like Intel nuc ... or a minidsp shd / shd studio (including dac or not) that also have Dirac dsp room correction.

Rob6899 likes this.
  2. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Again, maybe it's the language, but calling Audio Science Review "pure and utter garbage", especially when you've stated that you are not a technical person, has some of us questioning your motives. I assume that you know that Audio Science Review is a website founded by and run by the engineer who helped invent several audio codecs and retired from Microsoft as the Vice President of the Digital Media Division? He knows his way around a test lab. He is not a "self-proclaimed expert". He *is* an expert.

Denying science seems to be fashionable these days. I would rather it coexist with listening tests. It shouldn't have to be so binary. You can follow the science and still choose an audio playback system that measures poorly because you like how it sounds. But don't deny the science to justify your preference. Science just "is". It doesn't have an opinion on what you hear.

Halloween_Jack and vconsumer like this.
  3. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

It seems that exists a kind of fight between subjectivism and objectivism in audio.

I believe in science and scientific method ... It's the way humanity found to add knowledge. Subjectivism in audio also works because includes taste, psychoacoustics, etc.

So we can take the best of both worlds. I mean, if a device have awful measurements and high price ... i'll run away quickly.
    But that doesn't mean you can't like that component in your system.

So, it's not a matter of "garbage" or "truth".

A personal example ... i really like to listen to records. Vinyl in a theorical way it's inferior to digital. That says the oscilloscope ... but we can't forget about the recording itself, speakers and room. A good vinil recording in a good system sounds spectacular ... and i can't hear a superiority in digital music.

I don't deny what science says, it's totally true, but in my case, i listen to vinyl with very good results. Maybe the theorical difference it's not achieved in normal recordings or ... I don't care.
    What the oscilloscope says it's undeniable, and i use that as information, but i also know what I like, what I hear and I use that too.

There's no bs.
    Peace :laugh:

Henry J likes this.
  4. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play Thread Starter

I use science and measuments to narrow down a field of possible equipment candidates, but ultimately use my ears for final determination.
    Two examples.
    While I'm not a fan boy of ASR, I respect science. I bought my Topping D50S based on their measurements, and I am very pleased with this unit.
    Secondly that same site did not hold my Sierra tower speakers in the same regard, I am floored with these speakers and cannot imagine choosing a better option.
    How this relates to this thread, is that I have decided to go for the (both) option!
    I will keep my small form factor i5 Lenovo to my dac via USB AND I will incorporate my new rasberry pi4 with Hdd via pi2aes via optical.

Mike70 likes this.
  5. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

I could probably have chosen my words more carefully, but I beg to differ. Not having technical skills does not equate the ability to read nor being versed in scientific method. It will probably take longer time for me to piece results together, because digital signal theory and electro-engineering are quite difficult subject matters for a novice without any background in physics. Thus, asking 'wrong' questions in a forum and receiving push-back from its interlocutors. :)

This is the problem with ASR, because there is nothing scientific about their methodology, no matter what the credentials of the founder/ owner are. Putting emphasis on the word 'Science', ASR usually lacks the following: The lack hypothesis, lack of control in the test situation, lack of control group, in some cases results is not replicable by others (which is the foundation in science and scientific method, and why Archimago et. al is right about MQA for instance).

ASR has been criticised for masking/altering results in measurements of some dacs. In some cases they are proven wrong. This is extremely adverse for someone who wish to name a brand paired the word with science.

The only capital in science (as in academia) is trust. Once you earn your degree you are trusted by the community within each academic field to create new knowledge according to a set of rules. Violation of such rules (plagiarism, altering results, risk of human lives etc.) comes with dire consequences such as being persona non-grata in the academic community, recall of publication(s), loosing grants, even lawsuits in extreme cases.

When it comes to ASR. Unfortunately, bad engineering does not equal science.

That being said, I apologise for derailing this thread. I am more than happy to continue this interesting conversation with you @bresna in the DM-format.

Cheers!

R-T

Edit: spelling, unclear sentences

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    oskar and OhHiMahk like this.
  6. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Vinyl IS inferior in technical terms. There's really no doubt about this. What is also true is that the deficiencies in vinyl playback - let's call them what they are, additions - are actually very pleasing indeed, and flattering to most music, with perhaps classical excluded. It's a very fortunate, and fascinating glimpse into psychoacoustics and what so many actually like listening to given the choice between that or a technically perfect (albeit band limited) rendition of the master, given a decent release. I also think many people's perceptions of vinyl is artificially enhanced by the 'ritual' involved, the 'wow' factor in watching a nicely designed deck do its thing, plus the album artwork. Vinyl appeals to the senses far more, and I think that seals the deal for so many. Each to his/her own :)

Mike70 likes this.
  7. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

Ok guys. Really enjoyed the thread and knowledge here (I'm not very computer/tech orientated) and I have an old Lenovo laptop sat in a cupboard aside the exogal comet dac via USB to laptop, and then to amp (primare i30). The laptop is stripped to minimum apps, set to max 24/192 and runs Spotify and Qobuz from ethernet. I control both from android phone. The dac is apparently excellent in USB mode - no jitter etc.

So, what potential improvements in SQ and/or OS would a PI4 give?

8. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Hello all, hope you don't mind the bump.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ running Volumio. I usually stream Roon through it, but sometimes use the Volumio interface to stream from Spotify.

I'm using the Innomaker DAC HAT:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D13QWV9/

I like the sound alright... way better than using the Pi's onboard sound. But I'm starting to look for other options.

Is it correct that one shouldn't use a USB DAC on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+?

I was considering the Topping E30, which I could use for both the Raspberry Pi and my Oppo BDP-103, but if I need to get a Pi 4 I'll probably wait a few months, as my budget is tight right now.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0868J7NRV/

10. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

USB is fine, in fact it's the only option if you want to support audio formats above 24/192 or DSD on your Pi.
    Only someone who doesn't know what they're on about would say that USB is bad.

The Pi3 will be fine for the job, you don't need the Pi4 just for audio.

jesterthejedi and ad180 like this.
  11. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Well ... Pi3 can be enough, yes ... but it's good to remember that Pi4 improved the USB hub internal implementation. I mean, Pi4 it's better.

12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

How does that have an effect on playback?

13. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Pi4 is a better computer in a number of ways yes but that why new things are made, the Pi3 is still fine for the low resource requirements of audio playback and library management.

If by "the USB hub internal implementation" you mean that the older Pi's Ethernet and USB controller is the same chip sharing a bus, this was due to the lack of an Ethernet controller in the Pi's SoC but this has zero impact on using the Pi as an audio appliance.
    It was a bit of an issue if one wanted to use a Pi 1/2/3 as a NAS, but as the old Pi's Ethernet was 10/100 anyway it wasn't really an issue as the Ethernet bandwidth wasn't great. However it's still beyond the requirements for audio playback, a Pi3 is absolutely fine for running Volumio (but I'd urge you to try Moode instead ;))

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  14. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

The RPi 3 are known to have pretty poor USB. It is functional, so the bits are bits crowd will argue that it is fine. If I only had USB as a choice I’d upgrade to the RPi4.

I still have 2 RPi3, but I use a PI2AES Hat and then BNC or AES/EBU to my dac, so USB isn’t an issue.

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I'll check it out!

I tried to use RoPieee last night, but after setup it wouldn't boot. So I flashed back to Volumio. I rarely use the Volumio interface, opting for Roon 95% of the time.

vinnn likes this.
  16. OhHiMahk

OhHiMahk The search function is your friend

I’d also recommend Moode over Volumio. My experience was that it seemed more stable.

But also maybe reflash and give Ropieee another shot. Maybe your first attempt was bad. I’ve been using it for 6-9 mos and prefer it over everything when using Roon. It’s been very solid

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I plan on trying Ropieee again. I just wanted to listen to some tunes before bed last night. ;)

18. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

So I set up successfully a RPi4 this summer running Volumio for my HD files connected via external 1TB SSD to the USB DAC on my Parasound P5. Love it. However, ever since I set up an older Airport Express to run Amazon Music, I lose connection to my Pi. The only way I can get back on is by erasing the OS on the micro card and reflashing it. I've done this twice now, and last night I couldn't even get it to finish configuring on the home wifi network but can use it via the Volumio hotspot. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Do you think the Airport Express is interfering in some way?

19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

it's not what i hear from other sources and as @OhHiMahk comments ... i always hear recommendations for Pi4 USB applications.

20. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

One can assume that like your earlier comment these sources are parrotting quotes they don't understand and applying it to a different use case.

To stick to the context of the post I replied to a Pi3 is fine for audio however if @ad180 wants to buy a Pi4 that's fine too but it won't make a difference to the output of a USB DAC.

21. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Ok :edthumbs:

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Did you mean to say "input of a USB DAC"?

23. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

IF used as a streamer transport only (dac in it did not sound good to me...may be good enough for others who are less picky) into a high quality standalone DAC, the Yamaha WXC-50 may be the best budget streamer transport available. It also gives you access to their MusicCast infrastructure, which is the best around.....forget HEOS, Roon, Volumio, whatever else that is out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Audio...ocphy=9023847&hvtargid=pla-440414575849&psc=1

Rob6899 likes this.
  24. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Not exactly that. RPi3 has issues if connected to 1G Ethernet and port speed should be limited to 100M. RPi4 does not have this limitation anymore.

25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure I’ll just stick with the Innomaker DAC HAT until I can build a Pi 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.