Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Other than sharing the same lyrical theme (the circus) I don’t see musically how it’s a rip off at all.

Chip TRG, Keith V and FJFP like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Poster- I rarely make it past the opening line. 2/5

3. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I haven't heard this song in years. I wish I hadn't bothered today. 1/5. Horrible lyrics.

Propinquity likes this.
  4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Musically, it's not. But lyrically, describing all the things that the poster says will be seen at a circus? More than just "the same lyrical theme", that's a rip-off. And Davy was no Lennon in the lyrical department.

Guy Smiley, BobT and RobRoyF like this.
  5. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

The Poster

Written by Davy and Steve Pitts

One of the weaker tracks on BBM. This song belongs on a children's album as @Turk Thrust already inferred. Skippable.

2/5

intv7 likes this.
  6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

2/5 - This is actually my “favorite” of the 3 new Davy songs......though still a 2. I guess it’s that because the lyrics aren’t about 11 year old girls (though “Mr. Kite” has already been done), and I kind of like the carnival-type keyboard. This might’ve been better for one of the British women pop singers......I can picture this being a fairly good song for someone like Cilla Black, Lulu, Petula Clark or so forth.......but not The Monkees.

7. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Poster - 1/5. Steve "Pitts" is kind of fitting.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

The Poster:

5/5 I really do like this one. It's catchy and Davy does a great job singing it. I find the lyrics fun. I also like the little transition from I'll Be Back Up On My Feet to this one when listening to the album (see, some "millennials" do pay attention and appreciate little touches like that lol :winkgrin:)

Really, at this point, is my rating (for both Davy's songs and this album) a surprise? :laugh:

Umm, guys, what are you?..... Hey, put that down!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    DaveJ and RobRoyF like this.
  9. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

The Poster - 4/5

Always liked it. Still do. As a young child I would be taken to the circus at Christmas. It paints a picture. It wasn’t until I heard King Crimson’s Lizard that the true malevolence of the cirkus became clear. I don’t think Davy knew either.

Wil1972, RobRoyF and Hadean75 like this.
  10. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

The Poster 1/5. Awful.

11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Not their worst by any stretch but definitely below average. Pretty lame stuff, regardless.

2/5

12. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

The Poster

Sho ain't Farrah Fawcett

1/5

pablo fanques and Guy Smiley like this.
  13. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

But, for me, at least, that’s the problem with just about all of the Davy songs on BBM. They’re all a regression, with the exception of “Daydream Believer,” if you think of this in “group” terms. Obviously, the notion of “the group” ended with the BBM album.

At least “DB,”:recorded before the rest of this album, had the whole group actually on it. “Valleri” wasn’t bad either (We’ll get to that one soon), but that’s a song leftover from a year or two earlier.

Anyhow, “The Poster.” Like “Dream World” a week ago, this is a song I hadn’t listened to in decades but decided to give a fair shot here.

Like “Dream World,” after hearing it again I still don’t like it.

But I’ll be generous here and give it 2/5. Not a song I’ll be going back to though.

14. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

This really reminds me of another song, but I can't quite remember it.

It is what it is, perhaps a Monkees' 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'. Davey does a good job of it, and it's not as boring as his other songs. And, it's an original. So, I'm going to give it:

3/5

Wil1972, snepts, Hadean75 and 2 others like this.
  15. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I will give "The Poster" a 3, probably being a bit generous but it sounds like almost every other Davy song to me. No other Monkees around, but did not know that for the first 30 years I knew the song. I guess Davy was the most consistent Monkee as the first two LP's and the last five were basically his solo work with many of the same musicians and it is all about the same except for some highlights and a few very lowlights. Soon 2's and 3's will be replaced with a string of 5's on the next record.

RobRoyF, Hadean75 and Guy Smiley like this.
  16. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

3/5 The Poster

Not a favorite of mine and Davy getting his hands in the songwriting side finally realizing how much monetary value it is (Thanks to Nesmith). Would have preferred "War Games"on this record than this but than 2 war songs on an album would not make management happy.

17. 905

905 Senior Member

3/5
    Love the opening.

Hadean75 and DaveJ like this.
  18. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Poster -- 2/5. There are worse songs, but it's not very good. To me, BBM has always been 3 great songs, 2 good songs and 7 really bad ones. This revisit of the "bad songs" has not changed my opinion of it at all.

BobT likes this.
  19. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

"The Poster"

Ehh, not much. It's pleasant enough, I don't skip it, but it's not one I seek on its own. I'm sure these songs will be coming up shortly, but listen to "The Poster", "I'm Gonna Try" and "Party"...it all sounds like the same song! Of course, which of the 3 is best I don't know, they all aren't all that hot. It was good that David was trying his hand at songwriting but he wasn't going very far at this point.

2/5

20. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Jones/Pitts were no Lennon/McCartney musically either.

NudieSuitNezHead, intv7 and Hooperfan like this.
  21. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The Poster to me is just so inoffensive, I have no idea why it’s here. The best part is that the melody makes me think of the classic Thomas the Tank Engine theme that I grew up with. I replace it with the 1967 Stereo Mix of Carlisle Wheeling.

Interestingly, the transition from Feet is missing on the UK LP!

2/5

RobRoyF and Guy Smiley like this.
  22. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I just searched to see whatever became of Steve Pitts. Looks like he passed away two years ago after a law career.

Interesting article, that touches on some of things we've been talking about with "BBM". Check out Peter's thoughts on horns and strings!

"Writing Songs With The Monkees" by Steve Pitts

RobRoyF, Guy Smiley and intv7 like this.
  23. Bill Diercks

Bill Diercks Forum Resident

2/5 I do like the backup vocals and the keyboard part.

24. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'The Poster' - No, thank you. This is the illegitimate child of 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite' who no one wants to acknowledge - sad and vulnerable, but too unlikeable to really pity. (Sorry for being so scathing, but it's not even quite bad enough to have fun with.)

NudieSuitNezHead and RobRoyF like this.
  25. nesfan1964

nesfan1964 Forum Resident

I wish they had forgotten to load "Mustang" on that flight. An awful song. Even worse than "The Day We Fall In Love".

DaveJ likes this.