Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I Prithee. Don't like it. Don't like the lyrics. Sounds like it is scripture from The Bible being sung. Maybe it is, I don't know. 2/5

2. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I think it's more Shakespearian than Biblic.

It should come out a bit twee but for some strange reason it works.

Again, musically, very-Byrds like. Reminds me of this :

Deserves at least 3/5.

RobRoyF likes this.
  3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

3/5 - my favorite version is actually Peter's demo, followed by Micky's, Davy's, and then the 33 1/3 take. So basically, everything I liked and disliked about El Torko can be found here. I agree that Davy handles himself well on this one but him singing such a stereotypically "'60s" song just strikes me as a little forced. Mick sells it well, though.

Drifter, factory44 and RobRoyF like this.
  4. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Prithee is one of my all time favs. I even like Peter's Eastern sitar version used on the 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee TV special.

They probably should have used Davy's vocal as an album cut in the 60s. 3 out of 4 Monkees recorded this tune as the lead singer - pretty cool!

5/5

factory44 likes this.
  5. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I quite like 'I Prithee' as a song; it's got texture and colour, though the faux early modern English seems overly contrived.

6. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I give it a solid 3/5. This a typical Monkees song (I mean that in a good way). Sung well and perhaps if I heard the song a little more often I could give it a 4.

7. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

This is one of the songs that elevated ML2 to the upper third of all Monkees releases for me (along with Saginaw, Down the Highway, All the Kings Horses, St. Matthew to name a few) back when it first came out. First Monkees CD I owned. By the time it was released I was particularly interested in songs that were produced by Nesmith or credited to the Monkees, as well as songs that had multiple Monkees on the tracks. Later thanks to YouTube, the Sandoval book and other sources many alternate takes and vocals of songs too were heard. This one falls into all those categories. Loved the Micky version, thought the Peter version fit well for what he was doing at the time and really enjoyed the Davy vocal. I usually like most songs and arrangements with Davy on lead better when they were written or produced by group members or had the other guys and Chip involved. I just posted about that in the thread on Best/Worst Monkees songs, so that is all I will say.

rocknrollforyoursoul likes this.
  8. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

The New Society's version of "Of You" is a stark reminder of how good Nez was at making a song fit his sensibilities, even if he was having his ideas translated by top rank sessions players. He really was a great producer. This version feels like a Byrds song and a Mamas & Papas song combined in a blender.

"I Prithee" is an interesting case where the Shakespearean language is very gimmicky, almost a novelty, yet Micky sang the first released version with such conviction that it's a triumph. While the language was tailor-made for Davy's British accent, his take feels more tentative than Micky's. M&M's backing vocals are an interesting attempt, but don't feel like they fit the song. Maybe in part it's because I was so used to the take with Micky for so many years before it saw the light of day. The interplay of the 12-string, harpsichord and Hal Blaine's propulsive drumming are a treat.

I do like the Eastern tones and overall performance of Peter's 33 1/3 version but there are a few weak moments in his vocal that I wish they had had the luxury to fix with a recorded take.

Wil1972 and JJR like this.
  9. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

(I Prithee) Do Not Ask For Love

3/5 for the song. My preference is Davy's version (though the other versions are fine) as the song seemed to fit his vocal/accent the best....as others have said he seemed a little tentative, but I wonder if they only had one or two takes? A bit of polishing would have made it really shine.

10. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Prithee -- 2/5 (and that's a generous 2 as I save a 1 for pure dreck). None of the versions have ever done anything for me, though I guess the 68-version is probably the best of the pile. But that's not saying much.

11. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

I love all the different versions of Prithee. Micky’s vocal version is my favorite. As I’ve said before, it’s amazing that Micky could turn in this kind of outstanding vocal performance so early in to his recording career.

4/5.

12. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

I heard I'm Gonna Buy Me A Dog on Spotify in a bar yesterday. Funny how Dolenz handles a bunch of lead singing chores with aplomb but his singing on Dog is ragged and casual. I'm not criticizing as much as I was surprised how he doesn't take this singing job seriously at all. I remembered everything about it, but hadn't actually heard it in decades. I'm glad it was on.

13. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I really like I Prithee! Especially Micky’s version, and that’s the version I’m rating it based on.
    4/5

905 and D-rock like this.
  14. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I forgot to give my rating of "Of You" :oops:. 4/5

Prithee is an okay song. Weird lyrics but it's pleasant enough. I like Micky's version the most, but Pete's from 33 1/3 isn't bad either.

3/5

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  15. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

It's ok for me. I don't love it but I don't hate it. I definitely see why it stayed an outtake. 2/5

16. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

(I Prithee) Do Not Ask For Love

Micky's voice is really off-key (sharp) on this track but I still like it. The arrangement I like best is actually the Peter Tork version with just guitars doing the backing (heard on the "Raritees" disc of The Birds, The Bees, and The Monkees. There's something about the simplicity of it that really works for me. Of course, one of the other three singing lead would have been more pleasing to the ear.

I give this song a 4/5.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Turk Thrust likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm dumbfounded by the likeness of Peter's "I Prithee". It's so off key even worse than most of Peter's songs and I don't mind those. I've never been able to get through either version .. BBM or 33 1/3.

Wil1972 likes this.
  18. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I give it a 3/5. Not great, but okay. Another song Nez brought to the project.

If you search the bowels of Facebook, you can find a clip of Peter and Micky playing and singing it at one of those conventions where they sign autographs.

And I can't believe I'm going to post another New Society clip!

Turk Thrust likes this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Prithee - 2/5

20. 905

905 Senior Member

4/5
    Same here. I have Micky's version on CD thanks to Music Box and that's what I know and like.

21. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Prithee... I’ve tried, but I just don’t like this song.

Weird, because the other Murphey song The Monkees covered is probably a Top 5 Monkees song for me. One of my favorite songs by anyone, really (A song I’d love to do at a karaoke night!). But “Prithee”? Blecch.

I think it’s a just odd song to sing, and probably hard to make it sound convincing with all those “Thou makest me”-s, etc.

Never really understood just what it was trying to say, either. Comparing love to “slavery”? This is NOT what I want to hear from The Monkees (or The Beatles, or most groups for that matter). Seems more like something the Stones or Doors might’ve done? Maybe either of the could’ve done something with it. Maybe.

Seems to fly in the face of the whole “love scene” happening in pop/rock music at the time. Not what I’d call a Monkees “vibe,” I guess. Just a bad song, IMO. Not the fault of any of the four Monkees themselves.

Micky, Davy, Peter... Doesn’t matter which version (Although I think the 33 1/3 version is the worst of the lot. The attempt to imitate George Harrison fails miserably). 1/5. Sorry, folks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Fine Byrds song... MUCH better song than “Prithee.”

23. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I dig the 33 1/3 version

24. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for I Prithee (Do Not Ask For Love):

1-1