Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I just can't get into this one - I know Davy had his whole Broadway Rock thing but this song sounds like a legit showtune and I find this to be pretty cringe-worthy. Especially the resolution after the "I'm going out the way that I came in" build up - it's just so contrived and, well, uncool. Fortunately, there are better things to come...

2/5

vinnie and Guy Smiley like this.
  2. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

The Girl I Left Behind Me

I think this is actually the first recording of the song, because David's voice seems more like his '66 tone than the '67 one, but I could be wrong.

But regardless of that, it's a very good tune and is sung well. It's yet another 4 rating for me.

4/5

factory44, The MEZ and Hadean75 like this.
  3. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"The Girl I Left Behind Me"

I only know the version from Instant Replay, and I've always loved it. To me, it's top-tier Davy, an ideal song and arrangement for him and a great vocal. No problem with giving this 5/5.

4. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'The Girl I Left Behind Me' is okay. It's a bit sappy, but quite catchy.

Hadean75 and The MEZ like this.
  5. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

The Girl I Left Behind Me: breezy arrangement, great vocal 4/5

Hadean75 and The MEZ like this.
  6. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

The Girl I Left Behind Me
    Songwriters: Carole Bayer Sager / Neil Sedaka
    This song works well on this album. Solid track. Not a personal favorite, but I like it overall for an occasional listen. And it works well for Davy's vocal range.
    3/5

Wil1972, Hadean75 and The MEZ like this.
  7. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Yeah, this is the More Of The Monkees outtake version, which makes two in a row on this album. Still had some confusion in my head from when there used to be some doubt over which version was the master. Got it straight now.

8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I've mentioned this before, but check out all the Monkees (Colgems) 45 picture sleeves, for the ones that had them.

*EVERY single one of them, except for this one, plugs the "A side" song on one side of the sleeve, and the "B side" song on the other.

(*I don't have 66-5011, "Oh My My"/"I Love You Better." Can anyone verify?)

That is, flip over the "Last Train To Clarksville"/"Take A Giant Step" sleeve, and it will show "Take A Giant Step"/"Last Train To Clarksville."

But for Colgems 66-5004, BOTH sides of the sleeve either say "Someday Man"/"Listen To The Band" or "Listen To The Band"/"Someday Man." It is UNIQUE among the picture sleeves for the original Monkees singles.

Printing error? What happened? And does that have anything to do with the story of the "A" and "B" sides supposedly being switched?

9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Yes. Duh. Thanks for the correction.

Either way, he still got a nice little check.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  10. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Dang, i'm way behind....i'll start with side 2...

You and I....5/5...Neil Young for goodness sakes, I love the bass though others hate it, and great vocal by Davy---

While I Cry....5/5.....Great Nez tune.

Tear Drop City.....4/5....if only because it's the son of LTTC...but otherwise love the song

The Girl I Left Behind Me.....4/5.... nice relaxing vocal by Davy. Though I like the original version better by a bit, still like this version too.

11. BZync

BZync Senior Member

The Girl I Left Behind Me sounds like 1969 to me. It could be a Bobby Goldsboro or a Glen Campbell track. It's got that mature wistfulness thing going. I like this more now than I did as a kid. I'll give it a 3/5

Wil1972, RobRoyF, factory44 and 2 others like this.
  12. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Girl I Left Behind is one of those (many!) songs that gets stuck in my head after hearing it (or just thinking about it). That makes me think everyone involved did what they were supposed to do; create a memorable song. Excellent vocal by Davy.

4/5.

13. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

The Girl I Left Behind Me - 4/5

Follows While I Cry nicely. I like the song and agree all versions have merit. Davy does well. It is well worth it’s place on Instant Replay.

Hadean75, The MEZ and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

girl i left behind me- 3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Hm... This version is much stronger than the on one Instant Replay. I had no idea! Thank you for posting that.

“Girl I Left Behind Me” has never been a favorite of mine, but I don’t dislike it quite the same way I do “Linda,” for instance so I’ll give the IR version a somewhat generous 2/5.

This other version, included on Music Box though? It’s a lot stronger and I kinda like it! Not one I’d go seeking out specifically, but a strong track that had some potential in 1969. If this one had been an album track I don’t think I’d ever skip past it. Davy bangs this one out!

I’d give the Music Box version at least 3/5, maybe even 4/5? Much better than the treacly (By comparison) IR version

This reminds me I should probably pick up Music Box. It’s easy enough to find reasonably cheap.

RobRoyF and FJFP like this.
  16. Guy Smiley

So are you talking about the version included on Music Box, as posted above your post? I like that version much better too. That version is also on the BBM box? I noticed Davy belting out “PACK!” on that one. Funny!

Different arrangement makes a big difference there. Can’t believe I’m actually sort of enjoying a song from Neil Freakin’ Sedaka?? Sheesh.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    snepts and Rock66 like this.
  17. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

The Girl I Left Behind Me is a 3/5. What I am saying it is a good song sung well, but doesn't have any special merit such as a new style. I enjoy it and it does a nice job on the album of making balance. Now scores of 1 and 2 are my way of saying there's a problem....

RobRoyF likes this.
  18. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and go back a few posts to totally dig Neil's dance moves! :winkgrin:

Guy Smiley and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Yes, THAT version s on of my favourites too. The Instant Replay version is a 2/5 for me whereas the earlier, faster version is a 5/5. On the earlier take he sings it better, the lyrics are better and the arrangement is better. I will give the song a 3/5 to sort of balance it out.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  20. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

I prefer the Instant Replay version. Doesnt have the typical Davy broadway sounding vocal. Very restrained. I think thats why I love it so much

5/5 for me

RobRoyF, intv7, DaveJ and 2 others like this.
  21. Guy Smiley

I did.

I want to poke my eyes out.

22. Guy Smiley

Agreed. Check out the earlier take posted here though. You may not love it, necessarily, but it’s miles ahead of the one they put on the album.

Drifter likes this.
  23. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

I'm sorry but, "The Girl..." is just another Davy song I just can't listen to, I'm much more of a rocker at heart, even when I was a little whipper-snapper way back when. I wish there was more R&R Davy and Manchester Cowboy out there for us to argue (I mean debate) about. I hate to be a Davy basher but this is not my kind of music so it might be wrong for me to rate it.

(a 1/5 if I did take the time to rate it)

Guy Smiley and DaveJ like this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

2/5 - more of the Davy fare I'm not really interested in. The Music Box version is a little better, but I prefer "Star Collector" or "You & I."

vinnie and Guy Smiley like this.
  25. The Girl I Left Behind Me

I MUCH prefer the Music Box/BBM version, where Davy rocks out a bit (“... PACK! ... BACK!”). I give that version 4/5.

Chip TRG, Hadean75 and Drifter like this.