Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

In case anyone wants to dig for it, there are two recordings of "If I Knew" on Davy's Just For The Record series -- one on Volume 3, which is a great home recording that seems to date from the early '70s, and one on Volume 4, which is a much later studio recording that is marred by cheeseball production. Was hoping to upload a link to the '70s recording, but unfortunately only the one from Volume 4 seems to be up on YouTube.

RobRoyF likes this.
  2. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

If I Knew - It’s an OK song, but I’m not really wowed by it the way others are. I have no problems with the instrumental performance, but Davy’s vocal is too light and feathery for me to really enjoy the song. I understand why he’s doing it, but I think he could’ve done it a little a little heavier. This would never make my Monkees playlist, but if I was listening to the album, I wouldn’t skip the song. I’ll give it a light and feathery 3/5.

Wil1972, DaveJ, Drifter and 1 other person like this.
  3. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

If I Knew: 4/5

intv7 and The MEZ like this.
  4. "R" Ed

"R" Ed Forum Resident

If I knew -4/5

Love the collaboration between Jones and Chadwick in the song. One of Davy's better recordings during the Monkees. This and "French Song" are the only 2 Davy tracks that are solid on Presents, the other two should have been dropped (Good Times and Ladies Aid).

The MEZ, RobRoyF and intv7 like this.
  5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

IF I KNEW.....as others have said it's nothing exciting. A 2/5 from me.

6. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

If I Knew

Instrumentally fine but I can't take Davy's vocal on this.

2/5

Beatmusicfan likes this.
  7. If I Knew

I couldn’t even remember this song without giving it another listen. Upon further review:

I think Davy was a bit melodramatic on the line “I would just die,” but I think this song has a nice understated quality about it. The guitar is pleasant, and the chorus is the best part for me. I generally like the Jones/Chadwick collaborations, though this is not my favorite example. 3/5

The MEZ likes this.
  8. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for If I Knew:

1-0
    2-4
    3-11
    4-15
    5-4

The MEZ, D-rock and intv7 like this.
  9. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today’s song is Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye:

Probably Micky’s weakest songwriting effort that made it onto one of the original albums. It sounds a little half-finished in terms of the writing and certainly the production. It also feels like the vocals are kind of working against each other.

A bit of a mess on every level.

2/5.

RobRoyF and intv7 like this.
  10. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Not Micky's best but I still kinda like it. 3/5

Guy Smiley likes this.
  11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye" -- 3/5

This is a pretty good song, I guess, but by this point I'm really starting to miss the guy who sang on all those earlier commercial hits. He's trying a bit too hard to be edgy at this time, IMO. I've always liked the lyric "You spend your time sitting there thinking / Thinking about sitting there thinking". Cool lyric, though maybe not as profound as Micky probably thought it was at the time. :laugh:

James Burton plays banjo on this (!!), while Louie Shelton is on the electric guitar. The acoustic guitar here is the best part musically, though who's playing it wasn't cataloged. The drums are almost non-existent, buried in the mix with that heavy compression that marred "If I Knew". This is a fairly decent track, and probably my favorite Micky song on this album...which should tell you how I feel about his stuff on Present overall.

factory44 likes this.
  12. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Bye, Bye - 1/5. Automatic skip.

13. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I missed "If I Knew", but it's probably a 3/5. I would have been interested to hear the Zombies cover this c. 1967.

"Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye" - I like it, interesting riff and vocal, but it's not much of a song. 3/5.

intv7 and FJFP like this.
  14. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye" Not of of the album highlights but I don't dislike it either. It's just sorta there. Micky had much better material but this is kinda catchy. A low 3/5

FJFP, The MEZ and Drifter like this.
  15. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

3.5/5 for BBBBB.

I LOVE the pre-choruses especially, ya know the parts that go:

You spend you life thinking about living
    You spend your whole life”

and

“You spend your time sitting there thinking
    Thinking about sitting there thinking
    You waste my time talking about dying
    Dying when you should be trying”

Those parts get a 5/5, but yeah, 3.5/5 for the whole song :goodie:

Wil1972, DaveJ, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Those are my favorite parts too.
    Enjoy the banjo playing also.

Bye, Bye Baby Bye, Bye 3/5

DaveJ, The MEZ and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye- Here is where we hit the first bump in the road. At least it is a modern track, as opposed to a 1966 retread. However, it is just not a very good tune. The harmonica is grating, the vocals are slight, just meh.Not the worst track on the album (we all know what that is, right?). 2/5

RobRoyF and The MEZ like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Both self-penned Dolenz tunes, BBBBB & Mommy & Daddy, have a Native American feel and sound to me.

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye" - sounds like a rewrite of "Mommy and Daddy". It's okay, but not great. Micky's vocal elevates it to a low 3/5.

Wil1972 and The MEZ like this.
  20. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Bye Bye Baby Bye Bye

One of my least favorite Micky songs ever. Lyrically it seems to not make sense in spots, and there were plenty others in the can that could've been used instead... Steam Engine, for example

2/5

The MEZ, D-rock and BobT like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I like ‘Bye Bye, Baby, Bye Bye’, it’s a different type of song for Micky. A bit experimental with the music and vocals. Micky might have seen this as a last chance to do something creative on a Monkees album. I do like the overlapping vocal dubs at the end of the song. Have to give Micky credit for trying something different and not playing it safe. 4/5.

vinnie, FJFP and The MEZ like this.
  22. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Agreed

D-rock likes this.
  23. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

It's all right. 3/5

Drifter and The MEZ like this.
  24. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

4/5. I actually love this song, but it isn't quite as good as his other 3 contributions, so I'll give it a lesser grade. I love the first 3rd of this album though and I couldn't imagine skipping a track.

RobRoyF, D-rock, FJFP and 1 other person like this.
  25. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

A strong 3/5. The thinking sections, as mentioned earlier, are super strong, and the song kinda fits in nicely with Nez’s stuff here. I wish the drums were louder, and the vocals balanced better, but the mono mix helps this somewhat.

D-rock and The MEZ like this.