Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

Never Tell A Woman Yes - Part of me likes this song because of its toe tapping and carefree nature. The other part of me wants to kick the first part’s ass because it’s so out of left field and stands out like a sore thumb in the Monkees catalog. There is no way in hell that I could put this in a Monkees playlist because it would be so jarring to the songs before and after it. While I can and will listen to this song when I’m alone or with ear buds when anyone else is near me, I will never admit to liking it if someone catches me listening to it.

I agree with the others before me who are dumbfounded that this track made the album while other more legitimate songs remained unreleased. Nez has said that he tried to steer the Monkees toward the country rock genre, but this is what he gave us?! The part of me that likes this song gives it a 2/5.

Guy Smiley and BigManRestless like this.
  2. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Never Tell A Woman Yes. 3/5. I love Nez, but this song is not one that ever makes it to my Monkees or Nesmith playlists.

The MEZ likes this.
  3. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Never Tell A Woman Yes: No. 2/5

BigManRestless likes this.
  4. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

NTAWY: Oh my, my, my. I appreciate the attempt of a story song and it’s catchy. 3/5.

rocknrollforyoursoul and The MEZ like this.
  5. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Nesmith trying to be way too cute. Not good. 1/5

6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Eh. Nine Times Blue should have been there or on another 1960s album instead. 2/5

Guy Smiley and Keith V like this.
  7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

That and then Someday Man would make side 1 near perfect. All relationship songs with Someday Man to tie it all up with some mild explanation and reassurance. Or So Goes Love.

Joel1963, Guy Smiley and The MEZ like this.
  8. Never Tell A Woman Yes

I like some aspects of this song—the goofy, upbeat intro, the “saloon show” feel—but I’ve never been an actual fan of this song. It doesn’t do much for me, though I don’t find it to be particularly bad, either. 2/5

Wil1972 and Drifter like this.
  9. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Shelly, and some of her blues too.

To say nothing of St. Matthew, whose blessings finally graced us after being withheld for many years.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    MarkTheShark, Joel1963, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Never Tell A Woman Yes - I find myself strangely engrossed in the tale. Pleasing enough melody. OK. 3/5

FJFP, The MEZ and D-rock like this.
  11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

2/5 for NTAWY. Would've been a point higher if it had a chorus.

12. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Been under the weather today, hence this late mark.

Never Tell A Woman Yes - 5/5

Always liked it. Actually it was my standout track, minus the two Nesmith singles which I already had heard.

To quote the liner notes from Ranch Stash, “forget the lyrics.....”. The musicians play as if they’re having a good time and Michael sings like has a big smile on his face. I seriously enjoy it.

It would be out of place on “And The Hits....” though.

FJFP, Brian Mc, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It’s Music that talks to you instead of expecting you to talk to it.

Guy Smiley, FJFP, DaveJ and 4 others like this.
  15. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

This is one I really like. There's something about Nez's solo albums such as 'From a Radio Engine...' and 'Infinite Rider...' where the songs and arrangements just work, and I really like them.

For me, NTAWY is another song that 'just works' for me. I like the arrangement, the instrumental performances, Nez's vocal, and the silly bits in the coda. I like the silly story in the lyrics.

I wasn't really that familiar with 'Present' before getting involved in this thread, despite having owned the album for a long time. While doing some listening to prepare for the future which has now arrived, I found that I enjoyed Present much more than I expected.

If only it was Pete playing that banjo....

5/5

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    D-rock, FJFP, FredV and 1 other person like this.
  16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

:doh:

Guy Smiley, Drifter, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  17. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Did anybody notice that the only tracks presented in that ad were Mike's?

18. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

Thank you .... I'd give it 4.5/5
    Love the musicianship and Nesmith's vocal performance. It's fun!

The MEZ, D-rock and FJFP like this.
  19. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Never Tell A Woman Yes

Take away the beginning and the end and it's kind of ok.

2/5

20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Yeah. I guess Mike talks to you without expecting you to talk to him.

21. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

That totally could a Peter quote from, like, 1997.

22. Being on this forum has been very educational for me, so I'll ask another question: Were Peter and Mike not getting along around that time?

MarkTheShark and JuanTCB like this.
  23. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I think Peter was angry (as was Davy), when he failed to appear for the US rehearsals after the UK stint. Pete said some angry comments in interviews and even takes some digs at Mike in his commentaries for the DVDs of the series

24. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Hooperfan likes this.
  25. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

And I as well. This is the first I've heard of Coco Dolenz and at first assumed she was his wife. Apparently she is his sister. There is something sweet about the two of them getting along well and being able to collaborate.

I'll also say something rather obvious, but considering how these four guys were brought together, purposely from far distant points of the country and globe*, with different musical backgrounds and interests, I'm surprised they continued to work together (disregarding contractual obligations) once things started to not come so easily. Of course we will point to The Monkees as a Group being more profitable than having solo careers, and I guess I'm enough of a fan to hope they actually enjoyed being with each other, even though there seems to be a lot of evidence to the contrary. I sure wish these later albums had a more cohesive sound.

* I have to believe the LA, Dallas, DC, Manchester angle was a big part of the casting. Maybe they could have found four guys from the same part of the country, but it seems obvious to me they were going for geographic diversity.

BZync, MarkTheShark, RobRoyF and 3 others like this.